Thread: Internet Gun Buying - a Guide to the FFL Transfer Process

Default Internet Gun Buying - a Guide to the FFL Transfer Process

Internet Gun Buying - a Guide to the FFL Transfer Process
    Written by Wayne Freeman
    Tuesday, 12 August 2008 19:27

All too often, we shooters find ourselves having to rebut insane stereotypes about our fellow shooters and the industry in general. One of the more common misconceptions involves the process of buying guns via the Internet (usually called an FFL transfer). Typically, John Q public thinks that the “Internet gun buyer” is either purchasing guns illegally or somehow attempting to skirt the law – as if it’s so easy to do. This stigma is often reinforced every time some crazy-ass whack job uses a gun he/she bought using the FFL transfer method to shoot up a public place. Even on the “less” anti-gun networks, you will often hear commentators opine about how a gun buyer shouldn’t be able to just order a gun the same way one buys an iPod from the Apple store. Poor uninformed schleps…

Beyond that, I’m even more surprised when I overhear shooters at some of the public ranges I visit making completely uninformed statements about the FFL transfer process. John and I can assure you that your schools and malls are safe… This “internet purchase” process is merely the combination of ever-stiffening regulation of the industry and the advent of the internet itself. This article aims to cover the basics of the process, debunk a few perceptions, and hopefully sell a few guns.

WHAT IS IT & WHY DO IT? In a very quick nutshell, the FFL transfer process involves two Federally Licensed Firearm dealers (otherwise known as type 01 FFLs) shipping a firearm from one to the other. In order to complete the process, the shipping dealer has the legal responsibility of verifying that the receiving dealer is a legitimately licensed entity. This process involves exchanging paper or electronic copies of their licenses prior to the shipment of goods.

Read more...

Great article, thanks for passing it on, good read for someone like me who is considering thier first firearm purchase

Good read...........one thing about internet gun buying.....BUYER BEWARE. Only deal with reputable sellers.

If anyone viewed this website last night and noticed it was all in russian, the server was hacked last night. They seemed to put some protest crap up on the website. But its now back to normal.