Thread: Canadian Armed Forces, Forces canadiennes

Quote Originally Posted by Pete031 View Post
    You mean on the C9? The cloth bags are much more quiet then the Plastic boxes. Most of them also have a steel clip that is much more durable then the plastic one.
    I couldn't believe when my buddy in the infantry told me you use plastic drums for the c9. What garbage. When are the cloth drums being introduced? My buddy was just shipped out to A-stan with plastic, so he bought himself some cloth drums.
    QUESTION. Why do you not have drums for the FN MAG (c6?). I'm pretty sure said friend told me you didn't have drums for the machinegunners. Why is this? No one from my military (IDF) would be allowed to go out on even the simplest of ops without cloth MAG drums. Carrying belts around? We've advanced just a little bit since WWII...

Quote Originally Posted by Tikvah View Post
    I couldn't believe when my buddy in the infantry told me you use plastic drums for the c9. What garbage. When are the cloth drums being introduced? My buddy was just shipped out to A-stan with plastic, so he bought himself some cloth drums.
    QUESTION. Why do you not have drums for the FN MAG (c6?). I'm pretty sure said friend told me you didn't have drums for the machinegunners. Why is this? No one from my military (IDF) would be allowed to go out on even the simplest of ops without cloth MAG drums. Carrying belts around? We've advanced just a little bit since WWII...
    [FONT=Tahoma]Considering the weapons role belts are better than drums besides it is a crew served weapon and the number 2 carries lots of belts that he can link together once they go ****e and begin supporting fire.[/FONT]

Thank you very much

Quote Originally Posted by ex Strathcona View Post
    [FONT=Tahoma]Considering the weapons role belts are better than drums besides it is a crew served weapon and the number 2 carries lots of belts that he can link together once they go ****e and begin supporting fire.[/FONT]
    ... But you have a belt in the drum... And if you want to link another belt, you've got a few spares, pull it out of the drum, and link the next to it. That way you have all the ammo you need in a compact and easily portable form and you aren't running around with belts dragging and flying every which way. Would your c9 machinegunner ever carry his ammo NOT in drums? Of course not, so why does the medium machinegunner?

Quote Originally Posted by Tikvah View Post
    ... But you have a belt in the drum... And if you want to link another belt, you've got a few spares, pull it out of the drum, and link the next to it. That way you have all the ammo you need in a compact and easily portable form and you aren't running around with belts dragging and flying every which way. Would your c9 machinegunner ever carry his ammo NOT in drums? Of course not, so why does the medium machinegunner?
    I've been issued both weapons, and as a C9 gunner you certainly would carry your own drums... your fire team partner would have a couple too

how much experiance do you have on these weapons?

Attachments Pending Approval Attachments Pending Approval

Quote Originally Posted by ex Strathcona View Post
    I've been issued both weapons, and as a C9 gunner you certainly would carry your own drums... your fire team partner would have a couple too

how much experiance do you have on these weapons?
    3 years Israeli infantry. Our medium machinegunners carry several cloth drums and any other belts are carried to either reload into the drums because they are more convenient and portable or in the case that you are in a static position giving suppressive fire or whatever to link them up.

Its just the same old story of being behind the times... But the troops do get the kit overseas.

Its just the same old story of being behind the times... But the troops do get the kit overseas.
    Ah ok, well so long as they get it for the real deal. Oh another question. I'm about to send a care package to my friend in A-stan and am going to be sending him some practical equipment in addition to the ****. Are you guys given duct tape? Like, is it readily available? I know in Israel we use ridiculous amounts of it for our weapons, mags, vests etc. But we are never issued it, we always have to buy it. So I thought if it's the same with you guys I'd send him over a few wheels of some high quality black or brown duct tape. Also, are you issued camelbacks over there?

And while I'm at it, what kind of things are in short supply or non existant over there? I'm trying to think of the kinds of things we always needed in ISrael, but different army/different theatre, so if you guys have experience from afghanistan that would be great.

Yeah, he can ADREP gun tape from his platoon W.O. And they all have camelbaks... ****, and depending where his is living, food, snacks, juice mix, real coffee, wet wipes, etc...

For the last 4 months there we were on hard rations, and had 1 kettle for hot water. That was it. As we were leaving they started to push more dry food to the platoon houses, so anything that will break up the rations, he will love. Tuna snacks, jerky, etc...

Yeah, he can ADREP gun tape from his platoon W.O. And they all have camelbaks... ****, and depending where his is living, food, snacks, juice mix, real coffee, wet wipes, etc...

For the last 4 months there we were on hard rations, and had 1 kettle for hot water. That was it. As we were leaving they started to push more dry food to the platoon houses, so anything that will break up the rations, he will love. Tuna snacks, jerky, etc...
    Awesome, yeah wet wipes were on the list, best things for removing camo paint IMO and cleaning your feet after wearing the same pair of socks for a few weeks in a row ;P . I've also got a bunch of those meal in a bar things that have around 1000 calories in them because i know in the field you don't always have enough food/meals. Plus they are packed with things and small. I'll grab him some Tims coffee, jerky and snacks. If you think of anything else, please let me know!
    Also my youngest brother is in elementary school so I'm getting some of the younger grades to write letters, should be good. We always loved getting those, the best were "I hope you don't die" lol.

Yeah, he will enjoy the stuff you are sending... A good ball cap in neutral colors is always good too. Dried fruit is good. Socks. Air freshener. Etc....

Does the Canadian Forces have any Reconnaissance/Scout platoons. And do they have a designated marksman course for regular infantry ?