Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PR stunts of the Bundeswehr (German Army)?

Default PR stunts of the Bundeswehr (German Army)?

Hi there,

I did not want to pollute this fine thread with a discussion so I made this new thread.

To me it seems that the Bundeswehr's PR approach changed during the last weeks or months. Not too long ago, the Bundeswehr soldier were displayed as armed aid-workers who built wells, schools, streets and supplied the poor Afghanis in the north with food. Of course you would see Bundeswehr soldiers patrolling the streets, manning a checkpoint etc.

My point is, that I find the pictures the Bundeswehr provides the journalists with have changed. You would not find pics that had a martial touch in them, the troops pictured looked neat and proper, weapons were carried - ok - but not presented like in a lot of the pics published the last weeks.

Is that part of a new PR approach that displays German soldiers as soldiers (who can take on a fight and should not be ****ed with), shall those pics convince the German public that our soldiers are not armed aid-workers but actually soldiers?

Or is this because there are more and more geardos in the Bundeswehr, tryin to sport the latest gear, paint the weapons, try to look and act like PMCs or "very special" units.

Here are some pics of regular Fallschirmjäger, Panzergrenadiere and military police for those of you who don't know what I'm talkin about:

A German Bundeswehr army soldier of ISAF forces holds his weapon during a CIMIC (Civil Military Cooperation) mission in Masar-i-Sharif, north of Kabul, September 14, 2008.

German Bundeswehr army soldiers of the ISAF patrol in a village near Aybak, north of Kabul, September 16, 2008.

German Bundeswehr army soldiers of the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) take a rest during a joint patrol with Afghan National army soldiers in the mountains near Feyzabad, north of Kabul, September 21, 2008.

Bundeswehr soldiers of the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) stand in front of the administration center of the Aliabad district during a mission south of Kunduz, September 27, 2008.

German Bundeswehr soldiers of the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) patrol during a joint mission with Belgian army soldiers in the bazaar of Taloqan, west of Kunduz, September 30, 2008.

German Bundeswehr army soldier of the 263rd paratroops unit of the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) adjusts his night vision goggles in the camp before leaving for a night mission in Kunduz, October 2, 2008.

A German Bundeswehr army soldier of the 263rd paratroopers unit of the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) conducts a body search on an Afghan man during a mission to secure the perimeters of a reception commemorating the 18th anniversary of the reunification of Germany, in Kunduz October 3, 2008
    [IMG]http://i37.*******.com/2mma895dotjpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i36.*******.com/a1l5kldotjpg[/IMG]

I like the Black-Hawk-down-Delta-gel-look
    German Bundeswehr army soldiers of the 4/452 military police battalion of the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) take up position at a road block during a mine sweeping mission in Kunduz October 6, 2008.

The last few pics especially showcase what I'm talking about.

Thx to He219 for all those pics.

So, I'm not the only one who got the same impression.

on safari to find blood diamond pants.................

omg bono is doing a tour .....lol

Damn, I thought this thread was going to be about Budweiser.

Hanging out of your mam's backdoors ya slaaaagggs!

I don't see anything unusual with the first pics. All troops have weapons, so they will obviously be visible. Its not like they have to be part of some uber unit to be visibly armed and ready - soldier first, tradesman second and all that.

Although I will say theres a lot of guys wearing body armour and in situ's where it looks like contact could happen quite likely, and not many wearing helmets. I know its quicker to put a helmet on than armour, and I'm sure they are keeping tabs on the threat level, but just seems odd to me. If theres enough of a risk to wear armour, ballistic glasses, and be pointing your rifle about, surely its risky enough that you should wear your bonedome?

However with the last few pictures I entirely get what you are saying. Guys lining up a foot from each other with weapons very prominently displayed looks rather militant. Or like the film 'Starship Troopers'. Is this actually a real tactic for a certain situation, or done for the cameras?

BB

Quote Originally Posted by Britboy View Post
    However with the last few pictures I entirely get what you are saying. Guys lining up a foot from each other with weapons very prominently displayed looks rather militant. Or like the film 'Starship Troopers'. Is this actually a real tactic for a certain situation, or done for the cameras?
    I'm not an expert but I think that tactic is called "Ausweichschießen" in German, and it is actually a real tactic.

See my album about German Fernspäher here

You will find various pics of said maneuver:

I think it is used to unleash the maximum firepower a small group has to to secure a retreat or to recover injured comrades.

Hanging out of your mam's backdoors ya slaaaagggs!

I can see how you'd do it in rehearsals or a 'walk-thru, talk-thru' of concepts.

But doing it for real looks like a good way to bunch up and make all of yourselves a great target for grenade/RPG/even a burst of MMG fire.

However, I am not a Fernspaher, and have not been to Afg; and I am sure these blokes have the knowledge to do things right. I defer to them on that, but it does seem just a little unusual to me.

Interesting stuff though, thanks for sharing those pics with us!

Regards
    BB

The Garlic Fields of Transylvania, Romania.

All I see are pictures of guys who have adapted their combat dress and equipment to meet the requirements on the ground, in a particular location, as all good soldiers are taught to do, after all a textbook is basically a guide, and methods change with situation, location, and awareness.

Connaught Ranger

Wikipedia helps: Center peel

You might wanna google or search youtube for "australian peel", too.

Quote Originally Posted by seventy6er View Post

The last few pics especially showcase what I'm talking about.

Thx to He219 for all those pics.
    IIRC these pics were supposed to be from shooting range, not from road block? That's for the "shooting line posing" I guess.

And maybe the journalists taking the pics have changed? On the other hand, why not, isn't Germany planning to send 1000 troops more so maybe there's a need to show other side of the mission as well, prepare public for more "action", so to speak.

Apart from the good pix and long haired Germans this does not look like a photo shoot with makeup.

Banned user

What PR? The Germans are just doing their job-a fine one at that. Would you care to join them there?

Quote Originally Posted by Hispeed1 View Post
    What PR? The Germans are just doing their job-a fine one at that. Would you care to join them there?
    What PR??! You do know that there is such a thing in all modern Armed Forces? Btw, this thread is in no way directed against our soldiers, I just observed that news coverage, especially the pics provided by Bundeswehr PR changed.

I'm not in the German Army anymore, so, no, I can't join them. I did my tour of 6 months in another conflict some years ago.

Spring loaded in the dumb detent Weasel's Avatar

Where do you see any kind of public interest in what german soldiers are doing in A-stan? To me it seems that german public couldn´t care less if, where or why the Bundeswehr is in A-stan.

Cover me in chocolate and throw me to the Lesbians ¯\(º_o)/¯

We could also discuss it in the Bundeswehr group, Herr 76er.
    Just make a post.