Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Russia to buy UAVs from Israel

Quote Originally Posted by Snoshi View Post
    Georgian UAV's dint..
    I see some pics and movies of quaite a lot downed Georgian Israeli made UAV's. As to the using strong jammers, I doubt that there was a necessity of it in that conflict...

Such suprises should be left in closet for better ocasions...

Banned user

Georgian UAV's dint..
    Do you mean this

Quote Originally Posted by User_Name View Post
    Do you mean this

what type of UAV is that ?

Banned user

Quote Originally Posted by GottLuft View Post
    what type of UAV is that ?
    Hermes, over Abkhazia, Spring 2008

Quote Originally Posted by User_Name View Post
    Hermes, over Abkhazia, Spring 2008
    yea i know for this war,but I do not knew the type of UAV, hermes can throw rockets or not?

Banned user

yea i know for this war,but I do not knew the type of UAV, hermes can throw rockets or not?
    At least Israeli can..

Hermes 450.
    There were reports about Israel using this UAV with Hellfire's but there wasn't any conformation.

Like on many issues, the Israeli's are refusing to comment on the Hermes-450's attack capability. But there's been so many sketchy reports of it attacking targets (as recent as these Sudan airstrikes) I'd say it's pretty likely they have attack capability.

Federov Avtomat, FTW!

If the UAV was known to be armed with AAMs that Mig intercepting it could simply have fired medium range missiles or fired short range missiles from a much greater range than the UAV could use its weapons.

The whole purpose of that UAV was to spy, not to start a war. It would have been much more effective in that role if it had better cameras, a stealthy design and had operated at 20,000m or higher where it would probably not have even been noticed.

Russia to buy spy drones from Israel

10:42 | 07/ 04/ 2009

MOSCOW, April 7 (RIA Novosti) - Russia's Defense Ministry has decided to buy three types of unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV) from Israel for $50 million, a respected Russian business paper said on Tuesday.

A contract signed with Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI) envisions the purchase of the Bird-Eye 400 mini-UAV (weight - 5kg, range - 10 km), I-view MK150 tactical UAV (160 kg, 100 km), and Searcher Mk II medium-range UAV (426 kg, 250 km).

Citing Russian military sources, the Kommersant daily said Moscow had already paid half of the contract sum to cover technical assistance and the training of personnel for the operation of UAVs.

The Russian military stressed the need to provide its Armed Forces with advanced means of battlefield reconnaissance in the wake of a brief military conflict with Georgia last August, when the effectiveness of Russian military operations was severely hampered by the lack of reliable intelligence.

The Russian Air Force has launched a number of UAV development programs for various purposes. Air Force Commander, Col. Gen. Alexander Zelin said last year that Russia would deploy advanced unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV) with a flight range of up to 400 kilometers (250 miles) and a flight duration capability of up to 12 hours by 2011.

However, Russian defense companies, including the MiG corporation, the Russian Helicopters and the Vega Radio Engineering Corp., have failed so far to provide the military with effective spy drones.

A source in the Russian Federal Service for Military-Technical Cooperation said in January that the Defense Ministry was considering buying UAVs abroad, but the decision had been delayed by lobbyists from the Russian defense industry.

According to various estimates, the Russian military needs up to 100 UAVs and at least 10 guidance systems to ensure effective battlefield reconnaissance in case of any military conflict.

http://en.rian.ru/russia/20090407/120952618.html
    According to Kommersant, Heron UAV was denied following US pressures. And, since the russian military needs a large fleet of UAVs, this won't end by a single purchase.

Here is the Kommersant's article:
    http://www.kommersant.ru/doc.aspx?fr...docsid=1151550
    Last edited by Ren987; 04-07-2009 at 08:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ren987 View Post
    According to Kommersant, Heron UAV was denied following US pressures. And, since the russian military needs a large fleet of UAVs, this won't end by a single purchase.

Here is the Kommersant's article:
    http://www.kommersant.ru/doc.aspx?fr...docsid=1151550

100 UAVs sounds like a pretty low number. Or do they mean 100 systems with several aerial vihicles attached to each UAV platform?

Banned user

I hope that this deal will somehow improve relations between the two countries..

The UAV's in question
    Bird-Eye 400

I-View MK150

Searcher MKII

I hope that this deal will somehow improve relations between the two countries..
    Yeah hope so too

Banned user

And i hope that russian manufacturers are going to develop in the next time some good UAVs.
    So not to buy again some s**** from j**

For example
    http://www.sukhoi.org/eng/planes/projects/bpla/complex/

Quote Originally Posted by Moskit View Post
    And i hope that russian manufacturers are going to develop in the next time some good UAVs. So not to buy again some s**** from j**
    Don't act so retarded. SU bought Nene which led to development of MiG-15 for example. This purchase would act as an incentive for domestic developers to imrove or design new and more efficient systems upon examining purchased drones, and additionaly would serve as a test for the army.