Page 1 of 24 12345678911 ... LastLast

Thread: Sri Lanka Armed Force Photo Gallery

Post Sri Lanka Armed Force Photo Gallery

The Sri Lanka Army is the oldest and largest of the three armed services of Sri Lanka and is responsible for overseeing land-based military and humanitarian operations. Established as the Royal Ceylon Army in 1949, it was renamed when Sri Lanka became an independent republic in 1972. As of the year 2000, the Army had approximately 150,000 regular and reserve personnel and 18,000 National Guardsmen, who are organized into 26 regiments.

The Sri Lanka Army is operationally controlled by the Joint Operations Command, which was established in 1985, and comprises 13 divisions, one air-mobile brigade, one commando brigade, one special forces brigade, one independent armored brigade, three mechanized infantry brigades and 40 infantry brigades.

In late 1987, the army had a total estimated strength of up to 40,000 troops, about evenly divided between regular army personnel and reservists on active duty. The approximately 20,000 regular army troops represented a significant increase over the 1983 strength of only 12,000. Aggressive recruitment campaigns following the 1983 riots raised this number to 16,000 by early 1985.By 2007, the Army had expanded to over 120,000 personal.

What is Sri Lanka's relationship with India? Is it an ally or something to worry about? Thats a huge increase of troop numbers, 104,000 troop increase in only 18 years!?! Are they trained indiginously or by an international trainer?

The manpower of the army in 2008 nears the 200,000 mark due to aggressive recruitment programmes.

What is Sri Lanka's relationship with India?
    We are allies cooperating in many fields, including military.

The huge increase is due to the terrorism problem we've been facing for the last 2 decades.

Are they trained indiginously or by an international trainer?
    Only some specialized training programmes that can't be done locally are conducted internationally. You can't expect an army fighting for 20 years straight to not train their troops locally.

I'm sri lankan myself we use to have sri lankan military photo thread.
    im ethnic Tamil BTW

Banned user

Quote Originally Posted by sniper_27 View Post
    I'm sri lankan myself we use to have sri lankan military photo thread.
    im ethnic Tamil BTW
    What were ur feelings when India decided to support the Srilankan Govt. and did't support the Tamil people

Default Where is the link to the other Sri Lanka photo thread?

Great photos. Where can I find more pictures of Sri Lanka?

Quote Originally Posted by Aryan_Singh View Post
    What were ur feelings when India decided to support the Srilankan Govt. and did't support the Tamil people
    i felt betrayed
    but at the same time Tamil people from TN protested.
    i hate north indian policy...no offence narayanan is a tamil hater

terrorist sympathiser

picture thread....pmore picture less politic

My Mate from Australia went to Colombo for CO work set up and he told me there's Armed Troops everywhere in Colombo even tho front line is up North.

Quote Originally Posted by Wally1967 View Post
    My Mate from Australia went to Colombo for CO work set up and he told me there's Armed Troops everywhere in Colombo even tho front line is up North.

I've been there on layovers about 5-6 times. First thing when you land at the airport you see a lot of armed guards - mostly micro-uzis inside. Just outside by the spot where we boarded the crew bus theres a shoddy looking pillbox with sandbags and one guy manning an RPK. These guys whear that swampy blue/green pattern so I think they're some kind of MP.

Depending on traffic it's a 40-80 minute ride into the city. All major intersections have pillboxes or check points. Sometimes with army camo, sometimes blue green and occasionally plain OD uniforms. I dunno who's who. The troops are almost always aremed with AK47s (Type 56 copy perhaps) and those Chinese Type 81s. Sometimes you see SKS carbines. Think I saw the odd sterling SMG too, but that may have been in Bangladesh...

okk here is my contribution

[/QUOTE]

sri lankan rambo

[/QUOTE]