Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WWII : London V2 Rocket impacts sites Mapped

Default WWII : London V2 Rocket impacts sites Mapped

The Garlic Fields of Transylvania, Romania.

Have they mapped the London "V1" sites yet?

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k3...P1122101dotjpg

Connaught Ranger.

United Kingdom Of Great Britain & Northern Ireland

Wow they were pretty accurate, none landed over my side of london though

The Garlic Fields of Transylvania, Romania.

Actually they were a more of a fire and forget weapon,

Banned user

Very interesting, thank for sharing!

Most people forget or simply do not know, but Paris was also the target of V-2 rockets.

A little story:
    When my wife and I took spent our honeymoon in Paris in 2004, it was very late when we left a nice restaurant and we missed the last metro train past midnight, so we chose to walk to our hotel from Ile de Cite to the 14e arr. Several times along the way, we stopped for a rest and at one point, very near the Jardins de Luxembourg, and we came across a building which was covered with pockmarks, the facade of the old Ecole des Mineurs. A plaque on the exterior wall of that building stated that during both world wars, that location was deemed the unluckiest place in all of Paris. During WW 1, a shell from the "Paris Gun" landed there and killed scores of people. Then in WW 2, soon after the liberation of Paris in August 1944, a V-2 rocket struck the exact same spot killing over 70 people. There is a small upwards incline along the avenue, but a rather large and noticable depression in the street in front of the building can still be noticed.

Banned user

Looks like one hit Speaker's Corner not far from the US Embassy.

More lives were taken building them than those on the receiving end.

Gods Country, Where women glow and men plunder.

I used to work past a site where a rocket had hit in Leytonstone east london on my way home, the houses were different to the rest in the street & small memorial stone for the dead.

Wow, really interesting article. Great find.

Quote Originally Posted by Minardiau View Post
    That maybe true but the propaganda value alone.
    True, but a terrorised population doesn't mean wining wars. There were pin ***** attacks of terror value only and no strategic use. (considering the effort going into production). The real benefit was scooped up by the Allies And Soviets for future generations.

Quote Originally Posted by mas36 View Post
    Very interesting, thank for sharing!

Most people forget or simply do not know, but Paris was also the target of V-2 rockets.
    Indeed ! So were Antwerp, IIRC, and Maisons-Alfort, near Paris.

there's a street around the corner from here, which is all terraced housed except for a chunk in the middle which is made up of relatively new blocks of flats. interesting to see that it's because of a V2 which hit there on 1 november 1944, leaving 36 Dead. i walked past it earlier and you can see on the side of the house where the floors/rooms used to be on the building next door. also interesting that the local iceland supermarket is built on the site which saw the largest single V2 rocket death toll.

Aah, they hit Finland, the bastards!

http://londonist.com/attachments/Lon...V2damagedotjpg

Quote Originally Posted by Kilgor
    True, but a terrorised population doesn't mean wining wars. There were pin ***** attacks of terror value only and no strategic use. (considering the effort going into production).
    Yes, but you could say the same about the British bombing attacks which were almost exclusively (with the one exception of Essen, if I recall it correctly) aimed at the civilian areas in the inner core of German cities. They were larger pin *****s for sure, killing hundreds of thousands of people, women and children included, and terrorised millions more, but in the end the war was not won through them, despite the enormous effort that Britain put into them. (And by the way, the V-Weapons were the direct answer to those, hence the V, meaning "Vergeltung" meaning retribution in German).
    And don't complain that the attacks on Britain were too small. If Germany could have fully concentrated on bombing England instead of fighting the Sovietunion, those attacks would have been much, much larger.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilgor
    The real benefit was scooped up by the Allies And Soviets for future generations.
    Absolutely. Later time American and Soviet ICBM's are the direct descendants of the V2, after all, and those make the destruction of cities so much easier.

([Size=1]Sorry for being so cynical. Couldn't help it...[/size])

Bloody hell. There were a few that landed down in my old neck of the woods. Great posting Keith mate.