Thread: Joining the United States Army from overseas

Default Joining the United States Army from overseas

Hey folks. I'd like to know if there's any way to join the U.S. Army if you currently live in another country. Here's my story;

I was born in California in 1989 and moved to Sweden with my mother at the age of 1. I've been living in Sweden ever since, and been visiting my father in Florida about once every year since I was twelve. I am an American citizen and now that I'm done with school here in Sweden and it's time to start thinking about the future, I can only think of one thing that I've always wanted to do. I want to join the Army and do whatever I can to help. It feels like it's the only thing I've ever wanted to do, and also the only thing I'd like to do to serve the country I was born in.

So the question is, does anyone know a way to find out more information and enlistment options for someone who doesn't live in the U.S.? Should I contact the embassy or something? I'd really like to find out. If anyone could give me some information I'd be really thankful.

I'm not an Officer Lt. James Anderson's Avatar

Yes, contact them. Since your father lives here you and were born here you should have no problem.

Good luck mate, and thanks for your willingness to serve (that coming from a US Airman).
    I looked on the US Embassy Sweden's website, and our defense attache there doesn't handle recruiting. We do have some recruiters in Germany, you should contact the offices there.

http://germany.usembassy.gov/germany/dao/enlistus.html