Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BMD-2 questions

Default BMD-2 questions

Hello everyone, I have two questions about the Soviet BMD-2 airborne infantry fighting vehicle. 1.) Since as far as I know the BMD-1 used the same optical equipment as the BMP-1 did the BMD-2 use the same optics as the BMP-2? And 2.) does anyone have any pictures of the commander's station, the driver's station and the troop compartment of the BMD-2? Many thanks to whomever can answer these.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy1977 View Post
    Hello everyone, I have two questions about the Soviet BMD-2 airborne infantry fighting vehicle. 1.) Since as far as I know the BMD-1 used the same optical equipment as the BMP-1 did the BMD-2 use the same optics as the BMP-2?
    No, different. BMD-2 have БПК-1-42 and ПЗУ-5 scope

http://www.primeportal.net/whats_new.htm

I find this 'odd' stuff interesting as well, just skim through here. You might just find some of what you're looking for (I'll share if I stumble upon anything).

Chino bmd. 8 ton

are you sure you meant to ask about the bmd-2 and not the bmd 3 which has as far as i can make out, the turret from the bmp-2?

Thanks Abalkin! So would БПК-1-42 be written in English as BPK-1-42 and ПЗУ-5 be PShU-5? My Cyrillic is rusty. Thanks again.

Thanks Book, I had no idea the Chinese used the BMD-2.

Aquila4889, yes I definitely meant BMD-2. The BMD-3 is too "late" for me to be much interested in it, I'm mostly into Cold War stuff that was already in service or being accepted into service in 1985 or thereabouts. Somehow I've become fascinated by the concept of a hypothetical WWIII scenario between N.A.T.O. and the Warsaw Pact taking place in 1985.

Thanks Book, I had no idea the Chinese used the BMD-2.
    obviously ,ZBD-03 IFV and BMD-2 are two things...LOL

Thanks KillerBD and you're right, I may find something here in an earlier thread. And yeah BMDs are kinda interesting especially being airdroppable armored vehicles for paratroopers but I have nothing against the BMPs, they're actually pretty sleek looking at least the -1 and -2 especially the latter in my opinion.

Thanks for the clarification Shiphone, my mistake. I couldn't see its road wheels, they were obscured by the dust cloud and its hull didn't look differently enough from the BMD-2 to stand out (to me) as a totally different vehicle. Yes in the second photo I can definitely see the difference.

Viktor Pechenkin, Deputy Chief Designer of the Kurgan Manufacturing Plant said, “Up until now only the Chinese have created an analogue for the BMD-2, however this vehicle is two generations behind the Russian model.”

The airborne assault troops are Russia’s elite troops and they have had a long wait for a unique fourth generation vehicle. The BMD-4M differs from its first three predecessors in terms of more powerful weaponry, and its increased reserve of ammunition, which is what the ‘airborne guards’ really needed. The point being that airborne troops do not have tank or artillery support during front line operations.

The new vehicles can be launched from an aircraft and transit to their allotted targets in a matter of minutes at a speed of up to 70 km per hour. The BMD-4M is able to cover 500 km without refuelling. It would only take the airborne assault vehicles a few hours to bring any state the size of a western European country under full control. Like its predecessor, the BMD-4M can traverse water obstacles without any special preparation. Afloat this armoured vehicle is able to develop a speed of 10 km per hour.
    http://in.rbth.com/economics/2014/08...les_37307.html

Bmd 4 the moderna

Thanks Abalkin! So would БПК-1-42 be written in English as BPK-1-42 and ПЗУ-5 be PShU-5? My Cyrillic is rusty. Thanks again.
    BPK-1-42
    PZU-5

I think..

Quote Originally Posted by KillerBD View Post
    BPK-1-42
    PZU-5

I think..
    You're correct.

Thanks Abalkin! So would БПК-1-42 be written in English BPK-1-42 and ПЗУ-5 be PShU-5? My Cyrillic is rusty.
    ПЗУ-5 is better transleit as PZU-5.
    Last edited by Abalkin; 2 Weeks Ago at 11:49 AM. Reason: mistake