Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Coloring World War Two pictures

Default Coloring World War Two pictures

During my suspension period, i saw some colored pictures in web, thought why not i give it a shot. I am not a master in this field just that i happened to know Photoshop and said to my self why not give it a try, here some of my work. I know it not top notch however it was fun doing it and painfully long processes, took about 5-6 hours to colored one picture. This are Random world world two picture I found on the net.

This picture was fun as the skin tone would just blend with picture it self, read it is New Zealand soldier.

Mechanic working on B-25 Mitchell, the hard part of aircraft is making the specular and highlight otherwise the metal look dull

Coloring this black G.I was a challenge as the skin tone was hard

this Wehrmact is really hard, there was a colored one also however his tone was really faded, i tried a lot od mixing and mode however the picture won't expect any heavy changes, i know lots can be improve

A colorized version of the flag raising on Iwo Jima's Mount Suribachi, taken by Joe Rosenthal [SIZE=2]on February 23, 1945, this picture was completed on Memorial day for a friend of mine, there are many version of this picture this one is my [/SIZE]tribute

Quote Originally Posted by thounaojamtom View Post
    During my suspension period, i saw some colored pictures in web, thought why not i give it a shot. I am not a master in this field just that i happened to know Photoshop and said to my self why not give it a try, here some of my work. I know it not top notch however it was fun doing it and painfully long processes, took about 5-6 hours to colored one picture. This are Random world world two picture I found on the net.

you have done a pretty bl00dy good job mate.

x2 they are awesome

Deck crew, if there is a color error, i do apologized

This Dakota had a hard landing at Burma's theather

the only reason i could colored the Native accurately is because this are native of my people, could be my grandma

First time doing a Soviet, here i wanted the lady to have blue's eyes however the blue was not showing any glow so i change into green, they are quite pretty

My first British armed force, it seem this is from Northern African's campaign

Those are seriously impressive, thanks for sharing them here thounoujamtom!

Impressive work, now give us MORE!

Coloring Wehrmact is very hard, as the picture is already b/w and the gray uniform blending with black tone, on my second attempt i put a pinch of blue hue and walla, i guess this quite okay

I wanted to colored armed forces from many nation i could, when i tried to search for Imperial Japanese Army's pictures there wasn't much high res, so i found this one surrendering to American's G.I.

An abandon Zero/Zeke

This picture is very special, as the one of the crew member is one of my dear friend dad

Soviet's Tank crew captured by German's soldier, funny thing about this picture is while coloring the grass found the tone for tank

What is the process for doing this? Do you just pick colors until you find something that looks right, or is there some way to tell what the color was from the B&W image?

great job. It would be great if you can do the same to pics of Indian armed forces.Like the pics of 1962 war,WWII etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by [WDW]Megaraptor View Post
    What is the process for doing this? Do you just pick colors until you find something that looks right, or is there some way to tell what the color was from the B&W image?
    Tutorial:

http://www.shuttertalk.com/2005/03/h...toshop-cs.html

Not the best as I got confused on the mirror and house colored reflection, and while saving it save an extra tone of girl that is why it giving an over colored tone

one of my favorite world war two bomber He-111

got this picture as a footage reconverted it into a normal 4:3 pixel ratio before it seem was 16:9 as the picture. Australian troop fighting Japs

Closed up,

only wish they were carrying beer and schnapps and English welcoming them with Scotch

Last one before i work again, this picture was the most time consuming as there are nearly 40 soldier took me 9 hours

Quote Originally Posted by Andrei V. View Post
    Those are seriously impressive, thanks for sharing them here thounoujamtom!
    Much appreciated,
    Quote Originally Posted by Hisroyalhighness View Post
    Impressive work, now give us MORE!
    Will share more as i colored them, any suggestion are welcome
    Quote Originally Posted by [WDW]Megaraptor View Post
    Well what i did what i would have a newton's wheel into a b/w and try to match the tone of the b/w images and take a reference in color and paint them, some time a real skin patch help.

Quote Originally Posted by PATTO View Post
    you have done a pretty bl00dy good job mate.
    Much appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by wwjs View Post
    x2 they are awesome
    Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by for truth View Post
    great job. It would be great if you can do the same to pics of Indian armed forces.Like the pics of 1962 war,WWII etc etc.
    I was supposed to do and working on a one will share once it done.

Quote Originally Posted by thounaojamtom View Post
    any suggestion are welcome
    Soviet Afghan War FTW!

Very good work, well done.

Nice stuff, a few of the colors are a bit hotter than I would have done them, but still really good work.
    For the folks who want to try it themselves, here is a good place to start.
    http://civilwartalk.com/threads/blac...8/#post-560874