Thread: British Armed Forces

  1. #2866
    Hot Biker Dude of Death Royal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    'round and about...
    Posts
    8,894

    Default

    Looks like a right old mix of foreign VIPs on Albion.

  2. #2867
    Senior Member happyslapper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Windsor, United Kingdom
    Posts
    7,558

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Royal View Post
    Its a MkIII
    Cheers, thought it looked a bit snazzy.

    As for the foreign blokes on Albion, these days I hope they don't like what they see too much!

  3. #2868

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by happyslapper View Post

    Hands to Boarding Stations.
    HMS Ocean's boarding team clearing weapons.
    Full Story
    Forgive my ignorance but would these guys be marines or are they navy a boarding team?

  4. #2869
    Senior Member happyslapper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Windsor, United Kingdom
    Posts
    7,558

    Default

    There might be marines amongst them, but the first two at least are RN. Normally it's a mix, the composition depending on the role. For instance on a fishery protection boarding, it would probably be completely RN, for an opposed boarding situation, it would be mostly RM.

  5. #2870

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by happyslapper View Post
    There might be marines amongst them, but the first two at least are RN. Normally it's a mix, the composition depending on the role. For instance on a fishery protection boarding, it would probably be completely RN, for an opposed boarding situation, it would be mostly RM.
    Ok. What would be the job title for a member of a navy boarding party or is it something you can do a course for in most trades?

  6. #2871
    Senior Member happyslapper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Windsor, United Kingdom
    Posts
    7,558

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Deathchant View Post
    Ok. What would be the job title for a member of a navy boarding party or is it something you can do a course for in most trades?
    Depends on who's available. In boarding parties you find alot of engineers, alot of chefs, a few gunners (for those from the old school!), there'll almost always be a Warfare Officer who will inspect the documents and if necessary take command of the vessel. It's a pretty dynamic setup, and varies quite a bit.

  7. #2872

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by happyslapper View Post
    Depends on who's available. In boarding parties you find alot of engineers, alot of chefs, a few gunners (for those from the old school!), there'll almost always be a Warfare Officer who will inspect the documents and if necessary take command of the vessel. It's a pretty dynamic setup, and varies quite a bit.
    Ah so preaty much anyone gets to have a bash then. Cool. That should be a nice break to routine. I always asumed that only marines did that sort of thing.

  8. #2873
    Senior Member happyslapper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Windsor, United Kingdom
    Posts
    7,558

    Default

    Not really, it's by no means a free-for-all. I'm not really an expert in the matter (perhaps Royal has some specific experience?) but I'm trying to convey that boarding operations vary massively. Yes they might be fat stokers who haven't seen daylight since leaving the side, but they still have to be able to fast-rope from helos on to a moving deck etc..

  9. #2874
    Senior Member baboon6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Johannesburg, South Africa
    Posts
    2,218

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scorchio View Post
    @happyslapper; that's one of the Chinook HC.3s that were destined for special forces but we managed to bugger up. IIRC they were former US Army MH-47s that we tried to modify to use UK avionics. They were recently converted back to a standard similar to regular Chinook HC.2s to meet a requirement for Afghanistan.
    No the Mk3s were built specifically for the RAF but had a certain amount in common with the MH-47E.

  10. #2875
    Member apod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    336

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mattyw View Post
    Please say his rifle is not resting on the floor or has a dust cap on
    And the pouches could be there private ones.
    Those are new issue MTP pouches that come with OSPREY mk 4 as issued to 16 AA Bde.

  11. #2876

    Default

    ^ O right he must of got a full black bag then.

  12. #2877
    Member Bisley_Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    The South, UK
    Posts
    339

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bluffcove View Post
    Good to see that the sound cancelling headphones we all go issued have fallen from favour having been out there for less than a month, we all knew they were crap, but at least the umbrella has gone up for any deafness claims that might be made against the MOD.
    ECM stops them from working, that's why no one wears them. Good job procurement people, well tested!

  13. #2878
    Banned user
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    The Deep South of Afghanistan in a ****ty local house or At home on the Couch!
    Age
    40
    Posts
    94

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Royal View Post
    Since when were the RGR part of the Household Brigade?
    Sorry Royal its the Household Div not Household Brgade.
    Household Div is all Foot Guards & Household Cav. The Brigade is the Brigade of Guards is just Foot Guards.
    Both are ADMIN formations.
    Quote Originally Posted by DPM_Sheep View Post
    Can only assume the RGR bloke is the one sandwiched between the Cav fella in the foreground and the afghan.
    Blue, Red, Blue TRF is not just the Cav lads, All Household troops both Foot Guards & Household Cav wear it. Its for all Household troops.

  14. #2879

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by happyslapper View Post
    Not really, it's by no means a free-for-all. I'm not really an expert in the matter (perhaps Royal has some specific experience?) but I'm trying to convey that boarding operations vary massively. Yes they might be fat stokers who haven't seen daylight since leaving the side, but they still have to be able to fast-rope from helos on to a moving deck etc..
    Ha. Yeah I asumed they would have to be trained for such a role.

  15. #2880
    Senior Member Leaper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,663

    Default

    Donno if it's a repost:
    http://link.brightcove.com/services/...id=66448008001


    The section commander can be seen in Ross Kemps first visit to Afghanistan. A different guy now let me tell you

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •