Thread: British Armed Forces

Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the Western Spiral arm of the Galaxy

Short Poppy Appeal Video:

Red Arrows Display Over RAF Shawbury

RAF Shawbury held its Annual Reception in No 1 Hangar at the air base on Thursday 2 September 2010, to thank local dignitaries, business leaders, youth workers and charitable services for their assistance throughout the year. No 1 Hangar was decorated with various displays of the history of the air base and local airfields as well as photographs of the station from the past year. This year's event was a commemoration of the 70th anniversary of the Battle of Britain and was opened by a full display by the Royal Air Force Aerobatic Team, the Red Arrows (pictured).
    Photographer: Ian Forshaw, MoD

ecm never interfered with mine, supply cchain, breakages, snapped blokes sweat grit and ear infections and too may ****ing wires all over the place meant they got the bottm of the big bergan in the sky and i went back to prr and some black nasty.

Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the Western Spiral arm of the Galaxy

Some Helmand pix from UK Forces Afghansitan:

[IMG]http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/5819/tprhalpinleftandtpr****.jpg[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by NovocastrianUK View Post
    Some Helmand pix from UK Forces Afghansitan:
    [IMG]http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/5819/tprhalpinleftandtpr****.jpg[/IMG]
    Does man with M249 have Osprey Assault in... DPM? I have seen Osprey Assault in Khaki, DDPM, MTP but never in DPM.

Avoiding Asshats, Lying Low DeltaWhisky58's Avatar

The soldier facing the camera doesn't have an M249, he has an L110A1 or Minimi - just because the Septics call it an M249, it doesn't mean the rest of the world does.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaWhisky58 View Post
    The soldier facing the camera doesn't have an M249, he has an L110A1 or Minimi - just because the Septics call it an M249, it doesn't mean the rest of the world does.
    Yes, you right. I thought about M249 in PARA version, knows as Minimi. Sorry, it's my mistake.

Banned user
    The Deep South of Afghanistan in a ****ty local house or At home on the Couch!

Quote Originally Posted by DPM_Sheep View Post
    I know, but as 16Bde are in theatre atm and it's they who have both Household and Ghurkha elements, I'm making the assumption he's Cav.
    Cool, At the moment there are Gren's, Jocks & Coldstreamers out here as well as Donkey wolippers.

Quote Originally Posted by MoFo View Post
    Yeah, I completely sympathise with the bloke who reckoned carrying ECM Blue is heavy as fook.
    Had the plesure myself, When i was a Rfn, I swear i could feel my spine crushing under the weight of that Chubb
    one reson I became a nco

[*******DarkOrange]A LONE Gurkha has fought off the Taliban in a Rambo-style hail of fire. [/COLOR]

Heroic Sergeant Dipprasad Pun HOISTED a giant machine gun off its mount and HELD it as he blazed away at a dozen attackers.

Firepower ... Sgt Dip held 30lb gun and let fly 750 rounds a minute
    He is believed to have killed three and wounded several others with the gun - weighing well over 30lb and hammering out 750 rounds a minute.
    A source said: "It would have taken a superhuman effort to hold the gun and fire it. Apart from its weight, the recoil is colossal."

Firefight ... he held off a dozen Taliban from rooftop, killing at least 3
    The 15-minute stand came after Sgt Dip, 31, was left at a checkpoint in Nahr-e Saraj, Helmand.
    Spotting a Taliban attack, he ran on to a roof to man a 7.62mm general purpose machine gun mounted on a tripod.
    As the insurgents came over the wall Sgt Dip realised he could not lower the gun enough to hit them. So he yanked out the pins locking it down - CHUCKING the heavy tripod at the enemy - and lifted it up.
    He also beat off the attackers with grenades and an SA80 rifle before reinforcements arrived.
    Sgt Dip, of 1st Battalion the Royal Gurkha Rifles, would not speak about the September 17 battle. And it is too early to speculate if he will win a medal as citations have not been written. But Army spokesman Lt Col David Eastman said: "He is a credit to his unit."
    http://www.**************/sol/homepage...#ixzz14KhsUAjv

Some images from mod.uk:

A Fleet Air Arm helicopter flies over RFA Fort Victoria, which deployed as part of an international naval task force operating in the Somali Basin, has located, boarded and destroyed a pirate vessel found to be carrying assault rifles and rocket-propelled grenades. [Picture: Leading Airman (Photographer) Angie Pearce, Crown Copyright/MOD]

Soldiers from the 2nd Royal Tank Regiment on a security patrol in Lashkar Gah district, Helmand [Picture: Captain Tom Lloyd-Jukes, Crown Copyright/MOD 2010]

A Royal Navy Lynx helicopter from HMS Manchester lowers supplies to relief workers waiting on the jetty below [Picture: Crown Copyright/MOD 2010]

Crew members from HMS Manchester distribute fresh drinking water to locals
    [Picture: Crown Copyright/MOD 2010]

The Royal Navy team at their March For Honour start point, HMS Victory in Portsmouth [Picture: Leading Airman (Photographer) Arron Hoare, Crown Copyright/MOD 2010]

Royal Marines commence their March For Honour to the sound and splendour of the Royal Marines Band at Plymouth Hoe [Picture: Petty Officer Dave Husbands, Crown Copyright/MOD 2010]

Quote Originally Posted by Kunal Biswas View Post
    [*******DarkOrange]A LONE Gurkha has fought off the Taliban in a Rambo-style hail of fire. [/COLOR]
    Awesome soldier there! Glad he got recognition for what he did.

Quote Originally Posted by Prolix View Post
    Thanks folks! I think the forum is resizing them down a little bit, so for a bigger pic copy and paste the image address into the browser of your choice. Until my next trip I'll leave you with a 100 Sqn hawk, a Dominie and a Wokka!
    Where abouts in the lake district were you? I was in keswick a week or so ago and heard jets flying over. Last time I went to Broughton and saw several jets doing training overhead. Pretty cool.

My uncle lives near Keswick, Braithwaite, love the lakes, good beer.

Quote Originally Posted by NovocastrianUK View Post
    My uncle lives near Keswick, Braithwaite, love the lakes, good beer.
    Nice, my uncle lives in Broughton which is about an hour or so away. He is a mountain bike nut and so am I Went to whinlatter and it was amazing.