Thread: British Armed Forces

Aha, so we do have a plane for the new carriers. Take that Mr. Brown!

Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the Western Spiral arm of the Galaxy

Better than nothing I guess

Who needs all that hi tech thingy stuff. This will fly in there so slowly, they will all fall asleep waiting for it. Sometimes the old ways are the best ways.

Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the Western Spiral arm of the Galaxy

More images from mod.uk:

Royal Marines unveil monument to their fallen

The new memorial for the men of 40 Commando Royal Marines who have lost their lives in the line of duty [Picture: LA(Phot) Si Ethell, Crown Copyright/MOD 2010]

Molly Marsh remembers her Royal Marine father David who died when the vehicle he was travelling in was caught in an explosion in Afghanistan in March 2008
    [Picture: LA(Phot) Si Ethell, Crown Copyright/MOD 2010]

A wreath is laid at the base of the Royal Marines memorial
    [Picture: LA(Phot) Si Ethell, Crown Copyright/MOD 2010]
    Helmand police lead operation to detain insurgents

Vehicles await the return of Afghan police and security agency personnel towards the end of Op ZMARAY SARAK 5 [Picture: Lt Col David Eastman REME, Crown Copyright/MOD 2010]

The Commanders [Picture: Lt Col David Eastman REME, Crown Copyright/MOD 2010]

Colonel Kamaluddin Sherzai of the Afghan National Police (right) giving direction at the start of Op ZMARAY SARAK 5 [Picture: Lt Col David Eastman REME, Crown Copyright/MOD 2010]

Col Kamalluddin Sherzai moving forward a tactical bound behind his troops to make sure that he has a firm grip on commanding the operation [Picture: Lt Col David Eastman REME, Crown Copyright/MOD 2010]
    Last edited by NovocastrianUK; 11-12-2010 at 07:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rgjbloke View Post
    Who needs all that hi tech thingy stuff. This will fly in there so slowly, they will all fall asleep waiting for it. Sometimes the old ways are the best ways.
    Makes me think of the Simpsons where the Harrier is going to shoot down the Wright Brothers Orville but just screams past it.

A Merlin helicopter flies past HMS Sutherland [Picture: LA(Phot) Brett Turner, Crown Copyright/MOD]

[IMG]http://i52.*******.com/2w69e9d.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i54.*******.com/6xyq2t.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i52.*******.com/2w3cglc.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i54.*******.com/hsubr8.jpg[/IMG]

[SIZE=4] HMS Ark Royal Visits HMNB Clyde for the Final Time[/SIZE]

The Royal Navy’s mighty HMS Ark Royal visits HM Naval Base Clyde in Scotland for the last time.
    After celebrating 25 years in Fleet commission at a special ceremony attended by HM The Queen in Portsmouth on November 5, the Royal Navy’s aircraft carrier HMS Ark Royal sailed into the Clyde.
    The Invincible class carrier was considered in the Fleet reductions required under SDSR and Ark will now retire gracefully having delivered a quarter of a century of proud and sterling service to the country.
    Her role as the current Royal Navy flagship will initially be taken on by amphibious assault ship HMS Albion in early December.
    The Mighty Ark, as she is affectionately known in the Senior Service, paid her visit in order to deammunition at Glen Mallan Jetty on Loch Long.

This image is available for non-commercial, high resolution download at www.defenceimages.mod.uk subject to terms and conditions. Search for image number 45152037.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Photographer: LA(Phot) Stu Hill
    Image 45152037.jpg from www.defenceimages.mod.uk

Default Closing the gaps keeps Taliban out

British soldiers help each other leap across a canal during a security patrol at the end of operation "Omid Char," hope four, Nov. 11. Working through the rugged terrain of the Gereshk area is vital to securing the open area Taliban members have been using to attack other patrol bases in the area.

British soldiers from 1st Battalion, Irish Guards, the Brigade Advisory Group, climb a hill at the end of a security patrol in Nahr-e Saraj, Nov. 8. During operation "Omid Char," hope four, the mentoring team from the Irish Guards and the tollay from the Afghan National Army's 215th Corps drove a wedge into the villages of Sa'idan and Dagian to stop the free flow of Taliban insurgents. Also, the need for a larger presence of the Government of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan in the area was another reason for operation.

British soldiers from 1st Battalion, Irish Guards, Brigade Advisory Group, patrol alongside soldiers from the Afghan National Army's 3rd Brigade, 215th Corps, at the end of operation "Omid Char," hope four, to help build the security posture in the Gereshk area, Nov. 8. The new patrol base is set up between a group of small villages with a lot of farmland surrounding them, causing many of the patrols to go through flooded fields and up the many hills in the region.

Hercules and Lynx low level in the Lakes, probably my last visit for the year Right click and 'open image' for the full size.

I hope you're able to share more with us next year - thanks!

Default Afghanistan

Britain's Prince William to soldiers, before a Remembrance Sunday ceremony at Camp Bastion in Helmand Province, southern Afghanistan November 14, 2010.

Britain's Prince William salutes in front of the memorial to the British soldiers killed in Afghanistan, during a Remembrance Sunday ceremony at Camp Bastion in Helmand Province, southern Afghanistan November 14, 2010.

Britain's Prince William prepares to place a wreath on the memorial to the British soldiers killed in Afghanistan, during a Remembrance Sunday ceremony at Camp Bastion in Helmand Province, southern Afghanistan November 14, 2010.

AFGHANISTAN - 14 NOVEMBER 2010: Prince William places a wreath on the memorial to the British Soliders killed in Afghanistan, during a Remembrance Day ceremony at Camp Bastion on November 14, 2010 in Afghanistan. Remembrance Sunday tributes were carried out across the nation to pay respects to all who those who lost their lives in current and past conflicts, including the First and Second World Wars.

[FONT=Verdana]Britain[/FONT][FONT=Verdana]'s Prince William places a wreath on the memorial to the British soldiers killed in Afghanistan, during a Remembrance Sunday ceremony at Camp Bastion in Helmand Province, southern Afghanistan November 14, 2010.[/FONT]

AFGHANISTAN - 14 NOVEMBER 2010: Prince William (C) stands to attention with the Secretary of State for Defence Dr Liam Fox (2R) close to a memorial to the British Soliders killed in Afghanistan, during a Remembrance Day ceremony at Camp Bastion on November 14, 2010 in Afghanistan. Remembrance Sunday tributes were carried out across the nation to pay respects to all who those who lost their lives in current and past conflicts, including the First and Second World Wars.

Default Afghanistan

AFGHANISTAN - 14 NOVEMBER 2010: Prince William talks to members of the Royal Irish Regiment, before a Remembrance Day ceremony at Camp Bastion on November 14, 2010 in Afghanistan. Remembrance Sunday tributes were carried out across the nation to pay respects to all who those who lost their lives in current and past conflicts, including the First and Second World Wars.

Britain's Prince William (R) talks to members of the British Parachute Regiment, before a Remembrance Sunday ceremony at Camp Bastion in Helmand Province, southern Afghanistan November 14, 2010.

Britain's Secretary of State for Defence Liam Fox (L), talks to members of the British Parachute Regiment, before a Remembrance Sunday ceremony at Camp Bastion in Helmand Province, southern Afghanistan November 14, 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by happyslapper View Post
    I hope you're able to share more with us next year - thanks!
    Cheers!

I'm next free on the 20th of Dec, but will the RAF still be flying then? It's been 6 years since I lived by a base and can't remember when they break up.

To give you an idea of the weather today, here is a Hawk flying just below the cloud but still low level!

Splendid photos, thanks for sharing.

[IMG]http://i54.*******.com/2mrf9jd.jpg[/IMG]
    Soldiers from 15 Squadron Royal Air Force Regiment, fire a vehicle mounted .50 calibre gun at a target during Exercise Serpent Crusade at Castle Martin, Wales.

Photographer: Cpl Babbs Robinson
    Image 45152022.jpg from www.defenceimages.mod.uk
    [IMG]http://i51.*******.com/2hwe148.jpg[/IMG]
    A Royal Air Force aircrewman leaves an RAF Merlin Helicopter at Camp Bastion in Helmand Province, Afghanistan following a successful mission.

This image was a winner in the Royal Air Force Photographic Competition 2010.

Photographer: SAC Andrew Seaward
    Image 45152010.jpg from www.defenceimages.mod.uk
    [IMG]http://i55.*******.com/eg1efn.jpg[/IMG]
    An 11 Squadron Typhoon from Royal Air Force Coningsby accelerates and climbs rapidly during a training sortie.

Along with the Tornado F3, the Typhoon plays a critical role in the Air Defence of the UK and the Falkland Islands. The aircraft are held at a continuous ground readiness and crews are prepared to take off within minutes should a potential threat be identified.

The Royal Air Force has celebrated the production of some of its finest imagery during the annual Royal Air Force photographic competition 2010, culminating in an awards ceremony at the historic Royal Air Force Club in London.

This image was Highly Commended in the 2010 RAF Photographic Competition.

Photographer: SAC Andrew Seaward
    Image 45152009.jpg from www.defenceimages.mod.uk