Thread: British Armed Forces

Default Bravo Company, 40 Commando Royal Marines on patrol in Afghanistan

[FONT=Verdana]Images taken on patrol with Bravo Company, 40 Commando Royal Marines,[/FONT][FONT=Verdana]in the vacinity of Torghai, Narh-e-Saraj, Central Helmand, Afghanistan on the 14 and 15 Dec 12. The patrol was conducted to disrupt insurgent activity in the surrounding area.

All Photos: LA(Phot) Rhys O'Leary, 40 Commando Royal Marines Unit Photographer[/FONT] - [FONT=Verdana] Crown Copyright 2012[/FONT]

Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the Western Spiral arm of the Galaxy

Bloody hell, your up early vor, nice pix though

Quote Originally Posted by vor033 View Post
    The MTP blends in well here

Quote Originally Posted by NovocastrianUK View Post
    Bloody hell, your up early vor, nice pix though
    Stuck at work as most of my 'Team' has gone sick

Quote Originally Posted by NovocastrianUK View Post
    The MTP blends in well here
    Which is more than can be said for wearing black boots with MTP....c'mon guys, black boots with MTP looks...terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by ZiggyMac View Post
    Which is more than can be said for wearing black boots with MTP....c'mon guys, black boots with MTP looks...terrible.

I was just thinking the same!!

Desert boots might look good but they aren't the best boots for an afghan winter so until we start seeing these mythical brown ones through the system or buying your own black it is.

Is it comfortable wearing that... I'm not sure what it is but looks like kevlar briefs? Any idea why the UK opted for that and not the nut-flap as seen with the US?

US forces also wear the combat diaper.

Quote Originally Posted by AIRBORNEJOCK View Post
    US forces also wear the combat diaper.
    If you are doing alot of vehicle based Ops I think it is pretty damn handy. Any additional protection from IEDs for the meat and potatoes is a good thing.
    How much of a hinderance is it doing foot patrols?

Quote Originally Posted by ZiggyMac View Post
    Mtp works great in theatre as seen here.
    As for the boots, it's not what they look like, it's more that the black leather (gore-tex or not) are a great fit for a wet winter tour.

and then I saw airborne jock's post, well played!
    Anyway, good to see Torghai looking... Exactly the same...

Quote Originally Posted by HGRazorR View Post
    Is it comfortable wearing that... I'm not sure what it is but looks like kevlar briefs? Any idea why the UK opted for that and not the nut-flap as seen with the US?
    The nut flap is solid armour where as the diaper is part of a 2 layer system the idea of the 1 st layer to stop dust and dirt getting your balls dirty so surgeons dont need to snip them off the diaper is to provide a bit more protection from the blast and shrapnel. The way they are designed you attach them to your belt and can roll it up at the back then if the threat goes up you can pull it into place and crack on. They are hot to wear but not that uncomfortable.
    The yank marines were being issued brit ones on H13.

Good to see antennas now coming in a sensible colour and the new lightweight daysight being fielded.

Hello,

does anyone knows the manufacturer of the Rucksack which the right soldier is carrying?

Karrimor it's very similar to the issued daysack but its mostly made out of mesh to keep what's in it cool. Looks like a couple offer gen pouches attached but they do come with there own side pouches.

Default 16 Air Assault Brigade Practice Their Airborne Skills During Exercise Joint Warrior

[FONT=Verdana]I have posted these Photos posted before, but I found these of a slightly better size and resolution so thought I would post them as well.

[/FONT][FONT=Verdana][/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana] [FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana]Soldiers from 16 Air Assault Brigade take part in Exercise Joint Warrior at West Freugh Airfield on April 16, 2012 in Starnraer, Scotland. The operation is taking place in South West Scotland between 15-21 April and focuses on a Theatre Entry operation into a notional country. The exercise will involve more than 1600 troops, and be supported by Apache, Chinook, and Royal Navy Sea King Helicopters from the Joint Helicopter Force. RAF Fast Jets and support aircraft, as well as several US and French aircraft will also support the exercise. This year the ABTF will be joined by a number of French personnel from 11 Parachute Brigade.[/FONT]
    [/FONT]