Thread: British Armed Forces

Quote Originally Posted by ~UNiOnJaCk~ View Post
    Surely the intention is to standardise it, and all other new forms of personal equipment?
    You only get it issued if going on tour. Good way to spot the war dodgers!

Everyone else has to make do with what they've got.

Quote Originally Posted by Arfah View Post
    It is standardised but the QM wants to get his £'s worth out of the current stock too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose_Hates_You View Post
    You only get it issued if going on tour. Good way to spot the war dodgers!

Everyone else has to make do with what they've got.
    I fear it may develop equipment orientated class based snobbery

'Look at those underdressed ruffians over there, utter oiks wearing DPM, soooooo last Herrick'
    'See that one, he is still using SUSAT, peasant!'

On a more serious note then, it would appear that my problem is that i really am just a super advocate of kit uniformity. I have a problem

Quote Originally Posted by ~UNiOnJaCk~ View Post
    I fear it may develop equipment orientated class based snobbery

'Look at those underdressed ruffians over there, utter oiks wearing DPM, soooooo last Herrick'
    'See that one, he is still using SUSAT, peasant!'

On a more serious note then, it would appear that my problem is that i really am just a super advocate of kit uniformity. I have a problem
    Too late. I mock people still in DPM with mk6/6A lids. Peasants!

Haha, as you swag around in your nice, new PCS

Default First Royal Navy Lynx

© Crown Copyright 2013
    Photographer: AgustaWestland
    Image 45155063.jpg from www.defenceimages.mod.uk

First Royal Navy Wildcat Helicopter Takes Maiden Flight

The first Royal Navy Wildcat Attack Helicopter undertakes its maiden flight at AgustaWestland in Yeovil, Somerset.
    The Wildcat has a more powerful engine allowing it to be flown in extreme conditions all year round. It is also equipped with a more robust fuselage, a high tech interactive display and a new radar system that provides 360 degree surveillance.
    Wildcat HMA Mk2 will carry Sting Ray torpedoes, a door-mounted 0.5 inch heavy machine gun and new light and heavy variants of the Future Anti-Surface Guided Weapon Missiles.
    Expected to perform a range of tasks once in-service, the Maritime Wildcat Attack Helicopter will be used in anti-surface warfare, force protection and counter-piracy. It will also be able to carry out an anti-submarine role.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/defence...in/photostream

Hey ! I luv my 6A !!!

You're a bourgeois, MHY

Hey ! I luv my 6A !!!

You're a bourgeois, MHY
    Told you this would happen! It is what i had feared

I luv my 6A !!!
    For shizzle?! One day I'd like a helmet that doesn't flop over my eyes when I go from standing/running to ****e.
    Some stabs coming back from tour have been forced to hand their Mk7s in, and go back to 6As - which is bollocks of the non-canine variety.

edit: why is p-r-o-n-e a censored word on this site?!!

Quote Originally Posted by happyslapper View Post
    For shizzle?! One day I'd like a helmet that doesn't flop over my eyes when I go from standing/running to ****e.
    Yeah, that happens but as I have iron sights, the rim of my lid rests along the top. However, when compared to the standard GS mk6, I don't have a painful indentation on my head from the fcuking tiestring knot !!!

i used to replace the string with a trouser twist, which helped.

[*******#000000][FONT=Arial]HMS EDINBURGH PHOTEX (photographic exercise) Picture: LA(Phot) Dan Rosenbaum.[/FONT][/COLOR][*******#000000][FONT=Arial]Pictured: HMS Edinburgh powers through the water in order to make a circle from her own wake.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [*******#000000][FONT=Arial]An opportunity arose where near perfect weather conditions allowed a Photex of the Ship utilising the Ship's Mk 8 Lynx helicopter. Images were captured including Aerial shots of the Ship conducting circles in her wake .

[*******#222222][FONT=Verdana]Royal Navy Sea King Mk4 helicopter from 845 Naval Air Squadron [/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR]
    conducting operations with Royal Marine Commandos. Picture: PO(Phot) Mez Merrill

Royal Navy Sea King Mk4 helicopter pilots, aircrews and engineers from 845 Naval Air Squadron Commando Helicopter Force (CHF) normally based at the Royal Naval Air Station Yeovilton in Somerset have completed their annual winter training by taking part in a forward operating base exercise (FOBEX).

The training takes part some 200 miles inside the Arctic Circle at the Joint Helicopter Command (JHC) base near Bardufoss, Norway. The JHC base known as 'Clockwork' provides survival and operational training and support facilities to enable aviation capable units arms to survive, operate and fight in extreme C2 environments

Photograph shows a Royal Navy Sea King Mk4 helicopter from 845 Naval Air Squadron conducting operations with Royal Marine Commandos during a recent forward operating base exercise.

HMS ILLUSTRIOUS transits Loch Long: Picture: L(Phot) Keith Morgan

Today 1st March 2013. HMS Illustrious came alongside in Glen Mallan. Illustrious is in Glen Mallan to conduct a routine visit with the primary purpose to ammunition the ship. The secondary purpose is to provide the Ship's Company an opportunity to conduct Adventurous Training (AT).

Glen Mallan Jetty is situated on Loch Long, seven miles from Faslane Naval Base.

Pictured: HMS Illustrious transits Loch Long as she heads towards the jetty at Glen Mallan.

Fire Station and Medic Exercise. Firefighter cutting through a car. Picture: L(Phot) Caroline Davies
    RNAS yeovilton's Fire Service and RNAS Yeovilton's medical team conducted an exercise, the scenario being that members of the RN had been involved in a car incident near to the base. The two teams under go routine training for these incidents. Image shows a firefighter cutting through the car.

Photex with Fishery Protection HMS MERSEY. Picture: L(Phot) Caroline Davies
    Royal Navy Fishery Protection ships conducted Officer of the Watch Manoeuvres off the coast of Portsmouth. Image shows HMS Mersey.

Royal Navy Clearance Divers train onboard HMS PROTECTOR. Picture: L(Phot) Arron Hoare

A Royal Navy Clearance Diver spends months training to become fully conversant with underwater search, engineering and Explosive Ordnance Disposal. Diving in zero visibility is common; underwater tasks are both physically and psychologically demanding. However, with all the hard work and training comes the rare opportunity to serve in HMS PROTECTOR, the Royal Navy’s 5,000 tonne Ice Patrol Ship. There are few people that can say that they have been to Antarctica and even less that have dived there. The cool waters of the ‘Frozen Continent’ provide some of the best diving in the world; visibility often extends to 15 meters and the sea bed is littered with whale bones, star fish and an array of rare fauna and flora.

HMS PROTECTOR’s embarked Clearance Diving Element (CDE) consists of 4 divers: two Leading Divers and two AB Divers from the Fleet Diving Group (FDG). Assigned to the ship for the duration of her patrol of the British Antarctic Territory during the Austral Summer, the divers form a key component of HMS PROTECTOR’s diverse, and highly trained ship’s company.

(Leading Diver Lindsay and Able Diver Courtney Diving near Detaille Island, with HMS Protector in the background )

ROYAL NAVY CLEARANCE DIVERS from HMS PROTECTOR. Picture:LA(Phot) Arron Hoare

A Royal Navy Clearance Diver spends months training to become fully conversant with underwater search, engineering and Explosive Ordnance Disposal. Diving in zero visibility is common; underwater tasks are both physically and psychologically demanding. However, with all the hard work and training comes the rare opportunity to serve in HMS PROTECTOR, the Royal Navy’s 5,000 tonne Ice Patrol Ship. There are few people that can say that they have been to Antarctica and even less that have dived there. The cool waters of the ‘Frozen Continent’ provide some of the best diving in the world; visibility often extends to 15 meters and the sea bed is littered with whale bones, star fish and an array of rare fauna and flora.

HMS PROTECTOR’s embarked Clearance Diving Element (CDE) consists of 4 divers: two Leading Divers and two AB Divers from the Fleet Diving Group (FDG). Assigned to the ship for the duration of her patrol of the British Antarctic Territory during the Austral Summer, the divers form a key component of HMS PROTECTOR’s diverse, and highly trained ship’s company.

Photex of HMS Argyll with Cape Verde CoastGuard Cutter. Picture L(Phot) Pepe Hogan

HMS Argyll is scheduled to undertake a range of tasks across the Atlantic in support of British interests worldwide. Her tasking will see her support the counter narcotics effort in the West Africa region as well as providing reassurance to UK territories and partners worldwide

Command Forward Surgical Group at the Royal Marine Barracks Chivenor. Picture: L(Phot) Joel Rouse

CLR (Commando Logistics Regiment) CFSG (Command Forward Surgical Group) medical exercise. The exercise was conducted on the airfield of Royal Marine Barracks Chivenor, North Devon as part of a pre-deployment training package.

CFSG is a collection of personnel from every arm of the Armed Forces and has around 78 personnel to operate the role 1 facility. A role 1 facility is a field hospital which consists of a resus department, theatre, lab and evacuation/intensive care ward. The purpose of the hospital is to provide life saving support to stabilise injured personnel and the aim is to get patients from entry to evacuation within 4 hours. From arrival at the location where the hospital is to be established, the CFSG can be capable of receiving it's first patient within one hour and fully established within 2 hours..

Royal Navy Sea King Mk4 helicopter training in Norway: Picture: PO(Phot) Mez Merrill

Royal Navy Sea King Mk4 helicopter pilots, aircrews and engineers from 845 Naval Air Squadron Commando Helicopter Force (CHF) normally based at the Royal Naval Air Station Yeovilton in Somerset have completed their annual winter training by taking part in a forward operating base exercise (FOBEX).

The training takes part some 200 miles inside the Arctic Circle at the Joint Helicopter Command (JHC) base near Bardufoss, Norway. The JHC base known as 'Clockwork' provides survival and operational training and support facilities to enable aviation capable units arms to survive, operate and fight in extreme C2 environments

Photograph shows a Royal Navy Sea King Mk4 helicopter from 845 Naval Air Squadron operating from a forward operaing base during a recent exercise in Northern Norway

Yeah, that happens but as I have iron sights, the rim of my lid rests along the top. However, when compared to the standard GS mk6, I don't have a painful indentation on my head from the fcuking tiestring knot !!!

i used to replace the string with a trouser twist, which helped.
    MK6A and Iron Sights. You're positively pikey!

Correction: I'm pikey negative

Avoiding Asshats, Lying Low DeltaWhisky58's Avatar

Correction: I'm pikey negative
    Love it - I'm guessing there aren't too many members outside of the UK are going to understand these posts

Default The last days of Ex Red Flag @ Nellis AFB

The RAF Detachment of 12(B) Sqn Tornados and XI Sqn Typhoons (#RAFRedFlag) make the most of the last days of Ex Red Flag at Nellis AFB. The Det’ Commander, Gp Capt Johnny Stringer summed up how the exercise has gone: “We are delighted with how all our people and our aircraft are performing, and it’s invaluable training to work alongside our close allies in peacetime as we would in war”.

XI Sqn’s two-seater "T-bird" manoeuvres away from the flightline to take-off on a sortie (#RAFRedFlag) during Ex RED FLAG. Exercise Red Flag begins its final phase of intense training next week.

An FGR4 Typhoon from Coningsby’s XISqn is guided by ground crews during Ex RED FLAG. #RAFRedFlag. The FGR4 is a fourth generation multi-role jet capable of switching for example between roles such as Air Defence and Close Air Support. Like the Tornados on Red Flag this Typhoon is a veteran of Op Ellamy over Libya.

Default HMS Westminster Transits River Thames

Today, 13th March 2013, HMS Westminster transitted the River Thames en route to berthing alongside HMS Belfast. Here she will conduct a number of high profile engagements in her affiliated city, from today until the 17th March.

The Lord Mayor of London embarked via pilot boat at Gravesend. CROWN COPYRIGHT

Edit:

The Royal Navy has published a video:

Last edited by The Armchair Soldier; 03-15-2013 at 02:34 PM.