Page 41 of 249 FirstFirst ... 3133343536373839404142434445464748495191141 ... LastLast

Thread: JSF (F-35 Joint Strike Fighter) News

Video: Pentagon's F-35 Fighter Under Fire in Congress
    http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/milit...nse_04-21.html

Best F-35 blog comment ... ever
    http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/th...ment-ever.html

The Larry Lawson appointment as F-35 General Manager is a case of Life imitating art. Now the journey to the Dark Side is complete for Anakin Skywalker. He has become Darth Vader.

Ralph Heath: What of the Rebellion? If the F-22 Rebels have obtained a complete technical reading of the F-35, it is possible, however unlikely, they might find a weakness and exploit it.

Larry Lawson: The plans you refer to will soon be back in our hands.

Dan Crowley: Any attack made by the F-22 Rebels against the F-35 project would be a useless gesture, no matter what technical data they have obtained. The F-35 organization is now the ultimate power in the universe. I suggest we use it.

Larry Lawson: Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed. The ability to destroy a fighter jet project is insignificant next to the power of the Force.

Dan Crowley: Don't try to frighten us with your sorcerers ways, Lord Lawson. Your sad devotion to that ancient religion has not helped you conjure up the stolen data tapes, or given you clairvoyance enough to find the rebels' hidden fortress...

[Lawson makes a pinching motion and Crowley starts choking]
    Larry Lawson: I find your lack of faith disturbing.

Gordon England: Rise my friend.

Larry Lawson: The F-35 will be completed on schedule.

Gordon England: You've done well, Lord Lawson. And now I sense you wish to continue your search for young Amicus Curiae.

Larry Lawson: Yes, my Master.

Gordon England: Patience, my friend. In time, he will seek *you* out, and when he does, you must bring him before me. He has grown strong. Only together can we turn him to the Dark Side of the Force.

Larry Lawson: As you wish.

Gordon England: Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen.

Amicus Curiae, 5 hours ago on Non-bad news about F-35

[SIZE=4]DoD official: No case for 2nd JSF engine[/SIZE]

By Christopher P. Cavas - Staff writer
    Posted : Tuesday May 4, 2010 20:28:17 EDT

The Pentagon’s top acquisition official again tried to shoot down the case for a second engine for the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter (JSF), which many in Congress are urging as a cost-control move.

“There is not a good analytical case that the upfront costs of the second engine would be paid back,” Ashton Carter told an audience Tuesday in Washington at the Sea-Air-Space symposium sponsored by the Navy League of the United States.

The engine issue has emerged as one of the most contentious concerns in debate over the fiscal 2011 budget request. The Pentagon wants to stick with the Pratt & Whitney F135 engine for the new aircraft, while Congress has repeatedly directed the Pentagon to include the F136 engine, made by General Electric and Rolls-Royce, for reliability and to compete with the first engine on cost.
    Full Article: NavyTimes.com

[SIZE=4]Test pilot praises F-35 performance[/SIZE]
    Posted by John McHale

FORT WORTH, Texas, 4 May 2010. Lt. Col. Hank "Hog" Griffiths, director of the F-35 Integrated Test Force at Edwards Air Force Base, Calif., logged his first flight in the Lockheed Martin [NYSE: LMT] F-35 Lightning II stealth fighter on April 23.

Griffiths performed several test points on the 1.6 hour flight in the F-35A Conventional Takeoff and Landing (CTOL) variant.

Post flight, Griffiths praised the aircraft, saying, "the performance and handling qualities were better than I expected. The fleet users are going to enjoy how well the airplane handles while under tight control. Formation, air-to-air refueling, and air-to-air tracking are going to score high marks. It was a thrill to fly and easy to land -- a perfect combination for a brand new pilot in a single-seat fighter."
    Source: MilitaryAerospace.com

Aviation Week suspends Bill Sweetman from F-35 story

By Stephen Trimble
    on May 10, 2010 3:35 PM

Bill Sweetman notified me this morning that he has been temporarily ordered off the F-35 story by Aviation Week management.

Aviation Week editor Tony Velocci initially told me "no comment", but added: "It was supposed to be an internal personnel matter but I'm really sorry to hear that he's spreading it around."

Sweetman is the editor of Defense Technology International, a monthly magazine published by the Aviation Week Group.

It's not clear what immediately precipitated the decision. But Sweetman is well-known as arguably one of the most outspoken -- and, it should be said, well-spoken -- critics of the F-35 program.

Lockheed Martin denies having any role in Sweetman's removal from the F-35 beat. "I can tell you Lockheed was not behind this," a spokesman says.

Sweetman recently visited Lockheed's F-35 factory in Fort Worth, Texas, along with Velocci and Aviation Week staff writer Amy Butler. On the eve of his visit, Sweetman on 26 April posted a typically droll comment on his private Facebook page:

"Gentlemen, your target for tonight is Fort Worth. Flacks are predicted to be numerous and persistent on the run-in and over the target, and bull**** is expected to be dense throughout the mission. Synchronize watches and good luck."

Full disclosure: Sweetman is a personal friend and former co-worker at Jane's. As a military technology journalist, I have great respect for his vast and detailed knowledge of weapon systems of all kinds.

But Sweetman himself would tell you he approaches F-35 coverage unlike other journalists. I see my role as simply to report the facts offered by both critics and supporters, allowing my readers to draw their own conclusions. Sweetman approaches F-35 coverage from the standpoint of an analyst who has empirically concluded the program is a flop. That position is always going to create a tension with his traditional role as journalist.

Update: Lockheed Martin has released a full statement:

"Lockheed Martin has not asked Aviation Week to take disciplinary action against Bill Sweetman nor have we asked that he be removed from reporting on the F-35 program or any other Lockheed Martin program. In fact on April 27 Bill and other members of the Aviation Week staff visited Lockheed Martin facilities in Fort Worth for briefings on the F-35 program. We have a longstanding professional relationship with the entire Aviation Week editorial staff, including Bill Sweetman, and we continue to work openly with them on all programs, including F-35."
    Source: FlightGlobal.com

"Lockheed Martin has not asked Aviation Week to take disciplinary action against Bill Sweetman nor have we asked that he be removed from reporting on the F-35 program or any other Lockheed Martin program. In fact on April 27 Bill and other members of the Aviation Week staff visited Lockheed Martin facilities in Fort Worth for briefings on the F-35 program. We have a longstanding professional relationship with the entire Aviation Week editorial staff, including Bill Sweetman, and we continue to work openly with them on all programs, including F-35."

[IMG]http://i42.*******.com/30j69l3dotgif[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Xav View Post

[IMG]http://i42.*******.com/30j69l3dotgif[/IMG]
    It's all a conspiracy!

No, there is just a foul stench coming from it all.

Mr. Sweetmans bais towards the F-35 Program has been well documented for many years now. About time Aviation Weekly has finally acted! As the public expects the media to be fair and balanced in its reporting. Clearly, Mr. Sweetman has been on a crusade to cut down the program at every turn! Personally, I am really disappointment that it took Aviation Weekly so long to put Mr. Sweetman in his place. As all we really expect from the the media is to provide the public with the facts. Then let us decide on what to believe (or not).....

Is the missiles and bombs of fifth generation fighters also have stealth technology?

Some do, the JASSM, JSOW, & SLAM come to mind.

Senior Member Breakfast in Vegas's Avatar

Lovely pics. F35 looks better and better. Grows on you. )

You're welcome.
    Attachments Pending Approval Attachments Pending Approval