Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Finnish Army 70s/80s

Default Finnish Army 70s/80s

Does anyone have any photos of the Finnish Army from the late 70s and early 80s?
    Thanks.

This might be somewhat related. Pictures of equipment and training of the Finnish Armoured Brigade from the fifties to the seventies:

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums...ad.php?t=62797

Quote Originally Posted by Hecatonchiros View Post
    This might be somewhat related. Pictures of equipment and training of the Finnish Armoured Brigade from the fifties to the seventies:

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums...ad.php?t=62797

Wow the Finns were wearing their version of the German helmet up to the early 80s?

Well lets put it this way. When I did my service in 1997 teh Finnish army were still using uniforms from WWII, which my father used too...

Banned user
    My posts do not meet "minimum content quality".

Quote Originally Posted by SADFPuma View Post
    Well lets put it this way. When I did my service in 1997 teh Finnish army were still using uniforms from WWII, which my father used too...
    I am guessing you mean the "sarkapuku", made from the same felt material but definitively not world war two. Did the pants looks like this?

Quote Originally Posted by G-AWZT View Post
    Wow the Finns were wearing their version of the German helmet up to the early 80s?
    Most were not original ww2 helmets. FDF ordered more of these helmets in the 1950s. They are quite popular on the surplus market now, with some minor modifications (such as changing the liner) its easy to make a "German ww2" replica with that worn authentic look.

By the way, I guess you haven't seen this, but here is a huge thread with Finnish military photos. Including some older ones: http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums...d.php?t=119086

Quote Originally Posted by Sufficient View Post
    I am guessing you mean the "sarkapuku", made from the same felt material but definitively not world war two. Did the pants looks like this?

Most were not original ww2 helmets. FDF ordered more of these helmets in the 1950s. They are quite popular on the surplus market now, with some minor modifications (such as changing the liner) its easy to make a "German ww2" replica with that worn authentic look.

By the way, I guess you haven't seen this, but here is a huge thread with Finnish military photos. Including some older ones: http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums...d.php?t=119086

I'm checking that link out. I've seen so many pics from the Warsaw Pact and NATO from the late 70s and early 80s but when it came to seeing what the Finnish Army soldier wore in the field it's a bit of a mystery.
    I've seen Swedish helmets, and German M40-42 helmets. What was the typical equipment for a Finnish army soldier during that time?

This isn't an airsoft question trust me. All of my guns are real.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ0 View Post

Interesting material. The jackboots look very Soviet like. What was the standard infantry assault rifle?
    The camo pattern seems very much like the 1990s version.

Interesting material. The jackboots look very Soviet like. What was the standard infantry assault rifle?
    The camo pattern seems very much like the 1990s version.
    AFAIK rubber boots were more commonly used from the seventies onwards, but the FDF apparently didn't remove leather boots from its inventories until the year 2000.

The standard assault rifle was and still is the Valmet RK 62, but if the **** had hit the fan during the Cold War, the second-line infantry units would have been armed with WW2 era weaponry such as Suomi SMGs, M39 rifles and DP LMGs. The FDF would have mobilized 500 000 men, and there just wouldn't have been enough assault rifles to go around.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rk_62

As you can see here, the camo patterns of the older M62 (guys on the right with the rubber boots) and newer M91 are indeed quite similar, but not entirely.

Interesting thread, I hope to see some photos from field excercises here (with Rk.62 and stuff

I'm checking that link out. I've seen so many pics from the Warsaw Pact and NATO from the late 70s and early 80s but when it came to seeing what the Finnish Army soldier wore in the field it's a bit of a mystery.
    I've seen Swedish helmets, and German M40-42 helmets. What was the typical equipment for a Finnish army soldier during that time?

This isn't an airsoft question trust me. All of my guns are real.
    This site of one Finnish helmet collectors, one that is used as reference by others in plenty of Finnish military/militaria sites.

http://pottia.net/pottia/index.htm

Equipment in FDF is used mostly to point that those age going to trash, so after new sets of uniforms have entered to use they are mostly used as leave and barracks uniforms, older uniforms are used in field exercises. When I did my service in 2002 we used mostly m62's in bush gigs, had new set of m91's as leave uniform and little bit worn out and tagged m91's in barracks service uniform. If there were need for something more flashy for more formal occasions we could sign m83 uniform.

FDF units issue things differently from each other, one brigade could issue m91 to field use while other could still use m62's. In 2002 some units still issued steel helmets, my unit didn't. Currently readiness brigades get most of new stuff and others get hand outs, when others have rejected some material it will most likely popup in PsPr. After there is stocks of worn out m05 uniforms they will end up first as service uniforms in one or more units.

Out of curiosity, anyone here been able to find or have any pictures of the Finnish Air Force M81 uniform, aka. bus driver?

So if WWIII had occurred the second line troops essentially would've looked like their fathers' army in the previous war uniforms and weapons included.
    I've noticed from other threads the "T-55" was the standard tank.
    I take it the Finnish strategy was a offensive defense coupled with partizan warfare.

Domokun that Pottia website is already bookmarked. Great amount of information there.

So if WWIII had occurred the second line troops essentially would've looked like their fathers' army in the previous war uniforms and weapons included.
    I've noticed from other threads the "T-55" was the standard tank.
    I take it the Finnish strategy was a offensive defense coupled with partizan warfare.
    Finnish defense doctrine is area defense, idea is to wear down enemy with lighter units along depth, then at suitable location in suitable situation try to achieve local superiority in troop numbers and quality and force enemy to decisive battle with favorable odds. Basic larger unit type since 50's was infantry brigades that were very basic in their equipment meant mostly for defensive operations (down right *****ty... honestly), jaeger brigades and armored brigade formed basis of more mobile and better equipped forces that were intended for counter offensives. Finnish blend of area defense can be seen as mobile attrition warfare, due to insufficent mechanisation strategic moblity of troops weren't as good as wanted but light infantry forces have great tactical mobilty in Finnish conditions. Those local special conditions is commonly used as excuse for bad defense policy. Finnish terrain is broken by lakes and there is plenty of forrest, until 80's road network left lot to desire from Soviet point of view, those few roads could have been destroyed fast and most of bridges across rivers and lakes built with leaving ready made spots explosives, those would have been placed as soon as readiness of defense forces would have been raised. Finnish military has placed lot emphasis in indirect fire, something that learned WWII was that there were newer enough of that... so that was rectified as soon as budgets allowed. Finnish army switched to brigade based organization from division based org in mid 50's.

Finnish army did have basic service cycle for tanks that was pretty long term, the armored brigade had best quality tanks there were, previous tanks were given in smaller numbers to lighter units as mechanized task forces (usually companies) as local level boost to fire power of "parent" units. Some of tanks were used long after their "removal" from service, WWII tanks and Comets for example were used as bunkers around air ports to defend agaisy airborne operations against those, 75mm would still have pretty nasty against helicopters or anything air transportable. T-54 were purchased in late 50's, those supplemented by T-55's from mid to late 60's (1967 if remember correctly). After there were enough of T-54/55's Charioteers were given to mech task forces. Same repeated with T-54's in mid 80's when T-72's were bought. After eastern German supermarket opened early 90's, there were enough equipment to build up two armored brigades.

Essentially you are correct in second line force equipment. Still Finnish army has some WWII era artillery... modernized heavily starting in 60's with modern carriages, barrels and after that by less visible modifications.