Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Medals on Parade

Default Medals on Parade

Since the 90'es the UK army, and many other armies, have seen active service. For parade all the gongs are worn, so I would very much like to see more pictures like this one. There has to be some long serving soldiers who has a full chest.

The UK Armed Forces in general don't throw medals around. Some senior officers will have a chest full of medals and awards. Most soldiers, sailors and airmen finish their service with a campaign medal and maybe a LSGC (if its still called that).

The Garlic Fields of Transylvania, Romania.

Taken at the Tower of London in 2008. He was just after fixing his cap and the hands were returning to his sides, when the picture was snapped.

By the way not all wear their medals in public full time, the Beefeater's wear the ribbons daily and the gongs on special occasions.

Mrs Connaught Ranger, seen with the first female Beefeater on duty in the Tower of London.

Connaught Ranger.
    Attachments Pending Approval Attachments Pending Approval

Quote Originally Posted by Salonen View Post
    Since the 90'es the UK army, and many other armies, have seen active service. For parade all the gongs are worn, so I would very much like to see more pictures like this one. There has to be some long serving soldiers who has a full chest.

The only year since WWII where a British soldier did not die on active service was 1969.

Idiot

You want pics from the British armed forces, or also pics from other countries?

Quote Originally Posted by Royal View Post
    The only year since WWII where a British soldier did not die on active service was 1969.

Idiot
    Royal - i tink he meant "Operational" service - meaning deployed to hostile Fire Areas where medals are more likely to be earned.

Quote Originally Posted by Moriarti View Post
    Royal - i tink he meant "Operational" service - meaning deployed to hostile Fire Areas where medals are more likely to be earned.
    so did I.

Off the top of my head, there were troops on "operational service" in Palestine, Cyprus, Kenya, Malaya, Suez, Korea, Brunei, Borneo, Radfan, Dhofar, Aden, the Trucial States, NI, Lebanon, the Arabian Gulf, Zimbabwe and the Falklands between 1945 and 1990. Then of course there were the UN deployments.......................

Fair enuff I didn't consider all of that meself - I was just thinking of the Balkans...good call!

To Connaught Ranger: great picture, thanks a lot.

To Boina verde: any country is fine with me, but now when you ask, soldiers from countries who has seen service in the Balkans during the 90'es, and in Iraq and Afghanistan in this century are at the top of my list.

To Royal: after 1990 the UK forces have been able to get more campaign medals than ever, the Gulf war, the Balkans/Kosovo (Nato/UN medals), Afghanistan, Iraq, and I am sure there are more. From 1945 to 1990 there were medals for Falklands, Korea, Kenya (Mau Mau), and the GSM which covered a lot of campaings.

To Royal: after 1990 the UK forces have been able to get more campaign medals than ever, the Gulf war, the Balkans/Kosovo (Nato/UN medals), Afghanistan, Iraq, and I am sure there are more.
    There are.

From 1945 to 1990 there were medals for Falklands, Korea, Kenya (Mau Mau), and the GSM which covered a lot of campaings.
    There were two GSMs as well as an NSM during that period, but yes they did indeed cover a lot of campaigns. And of course you forgot the Rhodesia and Vietnam medals and the UN deployments.

Thank you so much BTW for educating me every day is indeed a learning day.

Seeing as you seem unable to understand saracasm, I'll spell it out for you....

Since the 90'es the UK army, and many other armies, have seen active service.
    The reason that I'm pissed off is your arrogant disregard for those men (and some women) who fought and sometimes died in the inconsequential (to you) wars before CNN kindly beamed them to your comfy armchair.

I am looking for something like this picture, not stupid remarks.

Stupid remarks.

Full chest? How about a full torso?

Quote Originally Posted by Paveway View Post
    Full chest? How about a full torso?

Which one of those adjusts the Vertical Hold?

Pusser

[*******white]..............[/COLOR]
    Attachments Pending Approval Attachments Pending Approval