Page 2 of 321 FirstFirst 123456789101252102 ... LastLast

Thread: The Armed Forces of Armenia Official Thread

We are the few who stand against the many

Quote Originally Posted by Bobster View Post
    Another soviet army copy y do u guys need all this military stuff against who?
    Well after the Mass exodus of Armenians from Anatolia in 1915 we were forced to participate in the failed soviet experiment so whether we like it or not its a part of our history...... and the reason for the equipment is that we are soveign and independent country and as such we need to be able to defend our borders....

Quote Originally Posted by peter.pl View Post
    Against capitalistic pigs and Jews of course
    After the soviet collapse armenia switched to a market based economy which is developing, more slowly than i'd like but we're blockaded on two of our 4 borders so its understandable....
    and the jew comment is unneccesary.....

Why unneccesary ? Jews are normal people. If jokes etc. about US or Russian are ok so jokes about Jews are ok to. I'm not rasist or **** like that. But stop offtopic. I don't want to destroy thread on beginning

Opening ceremony of Lancer 2008 NATO wargames.... (Mt.Ararat [Agri Dagi in Turkish] is in the background)

USSR meet the Ancient kingdom of Urartu....

[img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3654/...5a6bdotjpg?v=0[/img]

USSR Much?

Banned user

Quote Originally Posted by Bobster View Post
    Another soviet army copy y do u guys need all this military stuff against who?
    I would look up Armenian Azeri relations before asking that question.

Banned user

Nice pic of the 2a36, that gun is a monster.

AFAIK this is Armenian soldier in Karabah

Banned user

Very nice pics. They are very proud looking. Thanks for posting these great picture. I will be in Armenia this coming summer by the way for my first time!

Quote Originally Posted by LEGEND View Post
    AFAIK this is Armenian soldier in Karabah
    At the time of the picture he would not have been considered a member of the Karabakh Defence Forces, He is an irregular unit, or Fedayi (Freedom Fighter) as armenians call them...

the current Karabakh battles were for the most part conducted byfedayi volunteers assembled into battalions of 40 but its important to remember that they are different than regular troops and for the most part had no formal military training.

I realize to you these guys look like "Terrorists" but when you don't have a formal army and your fighting you war out of forests this is what you look like....

A quote from Chechen Mercenaries fighting against the Karabakh Armenians.....

"Shamil Basayev (Chechen Sepratist Leader) later said during his career, he and his battalion had only lost once and that defeat came in Karabakh in fighting against the "Dashnak battalion. "

The Dashnak Batallion

Other Fedayi

Last edited by ArmenianLegion; 04-12-2009 at 08:24 PM.

Really nice thread. Thanks for sharing the pics.

Some info on Nagorno Karabakh War for some to understand a bit about the Armenia's situation
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nagorno-Karabakh_War

[
    Nice pic of the 2a36, that gun is a monster
    They only have a few batteries i believe. Their doctrines are still pretty much entirely focused on defensive actions against Azerbaijan (and to a much lesser extent Turkey) The suposed way they would use the Giatsint batteries is for largely counter battery roles and to lure the enemy into tying up their artillery in protracted duels to keep them away from fire support roles etc. Because as you can see they are definitly attention grabers when they open up on you...well, this is according to a close friend of mine who did his service in the Armenian military. You get to meet all kinds of cool folks in London!
    Last edited by coltfan111; 04-12-2009 at 10:27 PM.

Armenia's only SF unit is Spetsnaz? They belong to army?

Armenia's only SF unit is Spetsnaz? They belong to army?
    Yes, they are based on the structure of the Russian Spets,But obviously on a much smaller scale and have a very similar role both on the battlefield and internal counter terrorist operations.They are held with a decently high level of regard in Russia.
    heres a video on them..
    [*******#800080]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iA6kTj3-XtI[/COLOR]

Tom of Mumbai's **** holster edi213009's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by coltfan111 View Post
    Yes, they are based on the structure of the Russian Spets,But obviously on a much smaller scale and have a very similar role both on the battlefield and internal counter terrorist operations.They are held with a decently high level of regard in Russia.
    heres a video on them..
    [U]
    well just look at the bio of former defense minister Gen.Haroutounian and u get it former vicechief of Ussr Recon troops

http://www.mil.am/eng/index.php?page=108

Young men would be picked up off the street and forced to fight in some cases. Because of the poor economic situation in the 90s many veterans and their families were not sufficiently taken care of both during and after the war. With the man gone fighting who would support families at home. At least large war memorials and cemeteries were built. I'm speaking about the Armenian side here but I would assume the situation was very similar in Azerbaijan.

It was also interesting to me while I was in Armenia that many ordinary Armenian people had never even been to the NKR, even though it is relatively close by. The territory of the fighting is very beautiful, It's easy to understand why it was so fierce-fully fought for.

Quote Originally Posted by Smersh View Post
    Young men would be picked up off the street and forced to fight in some cases. Because of the poor economic situation in the 90s many veterans and their families were not sufficiently taken care of both during and after the war. With the man gone fighting who would support families at home. At least large war memorials and cemeteries were built. I'm speaking about the Armenian side here but I would assume the situation was very similar in Azerbaijan.

It was also interesting to me while I was in Armenia that many ordinary Armenian people had never even been to the NKR, even though it is relatively close by. The territory of the fighting is very beautiful, It's easy to understand why it was so fierce-fully fought for.

I am from Canada and I have been to Artsakh (NKR) it is indeed breath taking... The german group Einstürzende Neubauten even sings about the region (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hd-6WweqD0Y). ....

I am not an Eastern Armenian, My family fled Turkey in 1915 during the Genocide so my experiences with Armenia Armenians is quite limited but even there it is known that [SIZE=3]Karabakhi Armenians are fiercly independent and not like anyother armenians. The rugged terrain makes it one of the most isolated regions of the world, Infact it was home of the last armenian feudal kingdom to survive absorption by the Seljuk turks.[/SIZE]

Even religous clergy men took up arms to protect it....
    Attachments Pending Approval Attachments Pending Approval