Thread: Nui ba den may 13 1968

My father's WWII unit, the 87th Infantry Division JUNKHO's Avatar

Default Nui ba den may 13 1968

[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]Nui Ba Den (Black Virgin Mountain), a dormant volcano, rises some 3000 feet above the surrounding plain in Tay Ninh Province. During the war, the Army had a signal relay station atop the mountain, and Allied troops controlled the plain below - but the slopes of the jungle-covered Black Virgin were no-man's-land. On 13 May 1968 the VC attacked the relay station, killing at least 21 American servicemen in bitter hand-to-hand fighting: [/FONT]
    • [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]CPT George Coleman, Birmingham, AL, Prov Sig Co, 125th Sig Bn [/FONT]
    • [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]CPT Arthur L. Davis, Beaufort, NC, 587th Sig Co, 86th Sig Bn [/FONT]
    • [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]2LT Thomas N. Teague, Mountlake Terrace, WA, Prov Sig Co, 125th Sig Bn [/FONT]
    • [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]SSG Ray W. Owen, Columbia, SC, Prov Sig Co, 125th Sig Bn [/FONT]
    • [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]SSG Harold A. Stone, Champaign, IL, Prov Sig Co, 125th Sig Bn [/FONT]
    • [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]SSG Bobby C. Wood, Monroe, LA [/FONT]
    • [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]SGT Joseph Adams, New Orleans, LA, Prov Sig Co, 125th Sig Bn [/FONT]
    • [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]SGT Fernando Calle-Zuluaga, Los Angeles, CA, 587th Sig Co, 86th Sig Bn [/FONT]
    • [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]SGT Timothy J. Noden, Linwood, PA, A Co, 2nd Bn, 18th Infantry [/FONT]
    • [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]SP4 John A. Anderson, Williamsville, NY,HHC, 4th Bn, 9th Infantry [/FONT]
    • [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]SP4 Ralph R. Black, Crystal Falls, MI, C Co, 121st Sig Bn [/FONT]
    • [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]PFC Samuel G. Connelly, Hammond, IN, A Co, 2nd Bn, 18th Infantry [/FONT]
    • [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]SP4 Moses J. Cousin, Detroit, MI, Prov Sig Co, 125th Sig Bn [/FONT]
    • [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]SP4 Albert E. Dahl, Aurora, IL, B Co, 125th Sig Bn [/FONT]
    • [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]SP4 James A. Davis, Orlando, FL, B Co, 125th Sig Bn [/FONT]
    • [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]SP4 Gary J. Gilin, Detroit, MI, A Co, 4th Bn, 9th Infantry [/FONT]
    • [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]SP4 Jeffrey W. Haerle, Minneapolis, MN, HQ, 3rd ASA Fld Station [/FONT]
    • [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]SP4 Paul R. Hoag, Poughkeepsie, NY, Prov Sig Co, 125th Sig Bn [/FONT]
    +REST IN PEACE+

To Haerle and the rest who didn't make it
    To Smith who stayed under the burning hootch when Haerle crawled out, survived and was evac'd to Brook Hospital burn center
    To both Goldberg, who stayed in the pagoda all night, and Brocato who stayed out in the rocks, and who both drug bodies for ****y traps the next morning, and survived -

REMEMBERED -

There are several different versions of what happened from various aspects. One is here -
    http://www.angelfire.com/ks/bhd8ball/NBDPageAllHTML.htm

Even though we held the site in the morning, we basically got our asses handed to us. I heard that the Engr's who tried to rebuild the place were overrun again in July and the place was shut down.

BECAUSE I CAN'T FORGET!

The Garlic Fields of Transylvania, Romania.

+ R.I.P. + to those who died and thanks to those who served and survived.

But, we do have a Military History section and this would be better located there.

R.I.P. to the fallen. One of my co-workers was there. What little he would say about it was it was a crazy place. The helicopters would basically fall upon take off for awhile because of the thin air.