Page 16 of 311 FirstFirst ... 6891011121314151617181920212223242666116 ... LastLast

Thread: Georgian Army, Navy and Air Force

Quote Originally Posted by mic of orion View Post
    Where do you guys get all that money from, in past 4-5 years Georgian army transformed from a rag tag mickey mouse army in to real force that can stay shoulder to shoulder with many European NATO countries.

I mean what's there to stop them taking Abkhazia and South Osetia.
    The money comes from US

There are the Russian peacekeepers who will definitely not let the conflict to resume, unless something changes politically (and I mean a dramatic change)

Besides Abkhazia and S.Osetia are pretty well trained and armed (given the situation they are in, i.e. small, non recognized and poor)

Quote Originally Posted by AKS View Post
    The money comes from US

There are the Russian peacekeepers who will definitely not let the conflict to resume, unless something changes politically (and I mean a dramatic change)

Besides Abkhazia and S.Osetia are pretty well trained and armed (given the situation they are in, i.e. small, non recognized and poor)
    I don’t know where you get this information but in fact its nonsense! In fact America was spending more money for military development of Georgia in time of Shevardzandze. Personally Americans have trained one brigade, they bought all equipment for them … at all they spend 64 mil. On it when tha whole budget of Georgian army was 32 milliom $. And the whole budget of country was for about 350 mil $. When Armenia’s MOD budget at this time was for about 200 mil $ (and Armenia is smaller than Georgia)
    So after rose revolution, Saakashvili has immediately began building Georgian Army. And at this days in 2007 the budget of Georgia was for about 3.4 Bill $ an from this money more than 20% - 800 mil $ was given to MOD.

Banned user

Where do you guys get all that money from, in past 4-5 years Georgian army transformed from a rag tag mickey mouse army in to real force that can stay shoulder to shoulder with many European NATO countries.

I mean what's there to stop them taking Abkhazia and South Osetia.
    You everestimate the "transformation". Regarding Abkjazia and Ossetia, they tried once, failed, and if they try again, they would fail just as miserably. Russia would not sit idly nearby.

Banned user

Aha 3,4Bill
    Can you post a source where that is standing pls.

Quote Originally Posted by Ak107 View Post
    Aha 3,4Bill
    Can you post a source where that is standing pls.
    http://www.unomig.org/media/headline...2007&m=12&d=31

1 USD = 1.6 GEL

[quote=IUnker;2996670]
    Quote Originally Posted by Luno View Post
    nice pictures ,
    Isn’t that the Dioskuria formerly the PG Ipoploiarchos Batsis (Greece navy)?

No, I don't know Greece, I even didn’t knew that Dioskuria means something in Greece, In fact this ship was given to Georgia by Greeks and we called it so “Dioskuria.” So was called Sokhumi (its city In Western Georgia near the black sea, today this city is controlling by Abkhazian separatists and Russian soldiers) But this name to this city in antic period was given by Greeks. and what does it mean in Greece?
    [FONT=Verdana]Gomordjoba,[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]Sokhum(i) is the capital of Abkhazia and Abkhazia not located in Georgia. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana]Balancing your one sided view. [/FONT]

[QUOTE=CHERK;3020597]
    Quote Originally Posted by IUnker View Post

[FONT=Verdana]Gomordjoba,[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]Sokhum(i) is the capital of Abkhazia and Abkhazia not located in Georgia. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana]Balancing your one sided view. [/FONT]
    Gagimarjos!

Oh really?! What a surprise!
    But I think you’d better release your teacher of Political geography.
    Last edited by IUnker; 02-01-2008 at 03:11 PM.

Banned user

Well you can't do anything, all Russia can do is watch, nothing else, they can impose sanctions on Georgia and arm Abkhaz (not sure how you spell it) but this would prompt west to react, help Georgia and this might ultimately led to US base in Georgia and in that case, we get new set of problems.
    Ummm, no, Russia can do far more than just "watch". and no, west would not come to Georgia's help if it stirred up **** in Abkhazia or Ossetia. Destroying all relations with Russia would not be a good trade for propping up Georgia.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRussian1 View Post
    Ummm, no, Russia can do far more than just "watch". and no, west would not come to Georgia's help if it stirred up **** in Abkhazia or Ossetia. Destroying all relations with Russia would not be a good trade for propping up Georgia.
    Unfortunately I also have to agree with you! Russia would never just watch what’s going in Georgia. And west will never spoil relations with Russia just for Georgia. But also Russia won’t be a shown as a member of this conflict, just like in 1991-93, they’ll probably prefer to prove that all conflict is just between Abkhazians and Georgians and Russia just cares about piece in this region.

[quote=IUnker;3020616]
    Quote Originally Posted by CHERK View Post

Gagimarjos!

Oh really?! What a surprise!
    But I think you’d better release your Political geographic teacher.
    [FONT=Verdana]Actually my “political geography” teacher taught me that Abkhazia was part of Georgia but that was “...back in USSR…”. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]A toast for Independence, you don’t mind independence do you? [/FONT]

[QUOTE=CHERK;3020652]

[FONT=Verdana]Actually my “political geography” teacher taught me that Abkhazia was part of Georgia but that was “...back in USSR…”. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]A toast for Independence, you don’t mind independence do you? [/FONT]
    Well I of course understand what you are about, but if we talk so much about and if you don’t liked my idea about Geography teacher, than you should to see some international laws! Because there are some roles when you can some territory call independent country and when you can’t do it, ‘cause if I’ll say that my flat from today is Independent country and is called Republic Of IUnker, and then I’ll kill everyone who lives in this flat but don’t agrees with me. Would anyone call this flat as a country? I don’t think so!
    P.S. So I would say a toast for world without separatism!

I don’t know where you get this information but in fact its nonsense! In fact America was spending more money for military development of Georgia in time of Shevardzandze. Personally Americans have trained one brigade, they bought all equipment for them … at all they spend 64 mil. On it when tha whole budget of Georgian army was 32 milliom $. And the whole budget of country was for about 350 mil $. When Armenia’s MOD budget at this time was for about 200 mil $ (and Armenia is smaller than Georgia)
    So after rose revolution, Saakashvili has immediately began building Georgian Army. And at this days in 2007 the budget of Georgia was for about 3.4 Bill $ an from this money more than 20% - 800 mil $ was given to MOD.
    Thanks for the source for the Georgian budget but that does not explain where the money came from, thats the issue here. It just states which ministry gets how much.

You are gonna sit there with a straight face and claim that Georgia did this modernization all by herself? Common man. US is pouring money into Georgia (which is not bad for Georgia, the more the better for her) and you just cant deny that. I mean if Armenia get US aid and , Armenia is VERY close with Russia, dont you think Georgia will get at least that much (if not more) when they are so pro US.

I have to give Sahakashvili props though, he did an amazing job at rebuilding the Georgian military. He could have pocketed that money, but he used it wisely, and that is commendable.

Armenia gets monetary aid for the military from US and gets internal (i.e. Russian Army) prices for its purchases from Russia, of course budget money that purely originated through various tax collections in Armenia (i.e. they were not foreign aid) also goes to the MoD, BUT without the special deals/close cooperation with Russia and the monetary/technical aid from the US (and some other European nations) Armenian armed forces would have lacked a lot of things that they enjoy today.

Quote Originally Posted by AKS View Post
    Thanks for the source for the Georgian budget but that does not explain where the money came from, thats the issue here. It just states which ministry gets how much.

You are gonna sit there with a straight face and claim that Georgia did this modernization all by herself? Common man. US is pouring money into Georgia (which is not bad for Georgia, the more the better for her) and you just cant deny that. I mean if Armenia get US aid and , Armenia is VERY close with Russia, dont you think Georgia will get at least that much (if not more) when they are so pro US.

I have to give Sahakashvili props though, he did an amazing job at rebuilding the Georgian military. He could have pocketed that money, but he used it wisely, and that is commendable.

Armenia gets monetary aid for the military from US and gets internal (i.e. Russian Army) prices for its purchases from Russia, of course budget money that purely originated through various tax collections in Armenia (i.e. they were not foreign aid) also goes to the MoD, BUT without the special deals/close cooperation with Russia and the monetary/technical aid from the US (and some other European nations) Armenian armed forces would have lacked a lot of things that they enjoy today.
    Well we can argue about very much, of course I agree that U.S. spends quiet much money on Georgian military (and not only for it) but not as much as it’s thought. By official information in budget of Georgia income from grants were about 220 mil $ none official information I don’t know but I hardly believe that someone had given more than this amount.

Some more photos
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FMB.jpg 
Views:	1656 
Size:	122.5 KB 
ID:	42536   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mi24-3eba.jpg 
Views:	5268 
Size:	133.0 KB 
ID:	42537  

Some new photos of Georgian Army
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ab129f61a462.jpg 
Views:	1766 
Size:	62.7 KB 
ID:	50848   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5374dcc6316e.jpg 
Views:	812 
Size:	19.9 KB 
ID:	50849   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	army1.JPG 
Views:	2305 
Size:	34.9 KB 
ID:	50850