Thread: Cases of armed citizens stopping crime.

Default Cases of armed citizens stopping crime.

We often read of armed civilians committing crimes with their firearms.

We read so little of armed citizens using their firearms to defend lives and property, to prevent crime etc.

Please post (or link) true accounts here.

Hey everyone, look at me, I'm the only important one here...

Burglar shot in home invasion

A wannabe burglar may be walking around with a lead reminder of a Friday break-in.

Lima Police believe the man who reportedly broke into a home in the 800 block of West Wayne Street early Friday morning may have been shot by the home's owner.

The incident occurred just before 4 a.m. Friday, according to Lima Police Detective Kent Miller. The home's owner was sitting in his living room, just about an hour after coming home from working third shift, when he heard a bang from the next room. He walked in and saw a man in his house by the front door. The homeowner turned around and grabbed his .22 revolver and yelled at the intruder, who then rushed at him, Miller said. He fired one shot before the would-be burglar fled.

Police believe the bullet may have struck the intruder, but found no blood or other evidence of injury at the scene.

"We think he hit him mainly because of the distance between them. He was just three or four feet away, but we didn't find any blood," Miller said.
    Link

Alleged intruder shot by homeowner

A 29-year-old woman who broke windows at a house behind Dorn VA Medical Center in Columbia was shot in the head by the homeowner, a Richland County sheriff’s spokesman said.

The bullet grazed the woman, who was slightly injured, the spokesman said Tuesday.

The woman who broke the windows at the house at 618 Hatrick Road was trying to get in and will face charges, the spokesman said.

The homeowner will not face charges, the spokesman said. Officials did not disclose the names since no charges had been filed.

Link

Homeowner takes a shot at burglar

One burglar may be considering a different profession after nearly losing his life during a break-in, last Wednesday.

Heather Fitzgerald says she was checking e-mail in her garage with the garage partially open. Shortly before 3:00 a.m., however, an intruder crawled in.

Heather immediately worried for her children, who were sleeping inside the home. She grabbed her 9-milimeter pistol and fired two shots at the man.

Police do not believe he was hit because they found no blood at the scene. As he was running away, she says she lined up the gun's laser sight on his back, but did not pull the trigger again, most likely sparing his life.

"I just, I couldn't do it," Fitzgerald says. "And it took everything that I had, not to. Seems like you should be able to be in your own garage at night when it's dark and not have to worry about that kind of stuff."

That suspect is still on the loose. Heather says she did not get a good look at his face, however he was wearing jeans and a dark-colored hoodie.

Police say she was well within her rights to use deadly force to protect herself on her property, which follows an Oklahoma statute known as the "Make My Day" law.
    Link

Fearing for life, pharmacist kills gunman

Just before walking into Babcock Square Pharmacy, the gunman lurked suspiciously around the parking lot Wednesday morning — even moving his car several times before making his move.

Carole Ann Aguirre, manager of the neighboring Martha's Mexican Restaurant, said the white Honda lingered enough that her grandson, Christopher, mistook it as that of a relative's and walked up to it.

“He opened the car door and thought it was his uncle,” Aguirre said. “But he saw the man had a bandana around his face and was wearing rubber gloves, so he came back in and told us what happened.”

Aguirre's son-in-law, Charlie Rojas, called police shortly before 10 a.m. to report the suspicious person. But before Rojas could hang up, the gunman had moved his car once more, this time parking it near the pharmacy at Babcock and Huebner roads.

Esmeralda Rodriguez, who was walking to her job next door at Natural Health Improvement Center, remembers seeing the light-blue surgical gloves the stranger wore. But, she didn't think more of it as she walked into the health center.

About 10 minutes later, Rodriguez heard two loud noises coming from the pharmacy. Moments later, the pharmacy owner's wife, 60-year-old Patricia Wynn, ran into the health center in hysterics.

“She was so stunned; she just kept saying, ‘We almost got robbed,'” Rodriguez said.

The stranger who had been loitering in the parking lot had walked into the pharmacy carrying a black revolver and a note demanding the narcotic drug OxyContin and some money, according to authorities.

Once inside, the gunman handed the note to a clerk behind the counter, Police Chief William McM**** said. The clerk was one of three people inside the pharmacy at the time of the robbery attempt. The others were the pharmacy owner, 62-year-old Bill Wynn, and his wife.

The details about what happened next are unclear, but McM**** said the clerk was able to inform the pharmacy owner of the attempted robbery. Wynn, who had been robbed before, somehow managed to arm himself with a gun.

That's when McM**** said the robber uttered his last words: “Let's get it on.”

Police said Wynn reacted quickly, shooting the gunman in the chest.

“I was scared to death,” Wynn later said, declining to comment further.

Police arrived to find the gunman, whose identity wasn't released Wednesday, lying on his back in a pool of blood. In his right hand was a cocked revolver.

McM**** said Wynn wouldn't face any charges in connection with the shooting.

“He was in fear (for) his life,” the chief said. “He has a right and state law allows him to defend himself.”

The dead man wasn't immediately identified, so his relatives couldn't be reached for information.

Wednesday's pharmacy shooting became the third justifiable homicide of the year for San Antonio, not including a shooting death May 17 that's still being investigated as possible self-defense. The number, however, is half of what it was at this time in 2008, a year the city's justified homicide rate jumped significantly from previous years.

Wynn's wife said it's not uncommon for pharmacists to keep guns.

“A lot of pharmacies do, but we carry one because we have been robbed before,” she said without elaborating.

One of their employees, Maria Martinez, said it's been years since the pharmacy last was robbed.

Lindsay Simpkins, a cashier at Martha's Mexican Restaurant, said no one suspected the pharmacy owner — a man with a strong sense of humor — to fatally shoot anyone.

The pharmacy was closed the remainder of the day.
    Link

Slain Oklahoma City home intruder identified; police seek second burglar

Police identified a man fatally shot Tuesday inside an Oklahoma City man’s home as Ronald Penn, 29.

Penn and another person had broken into the house of Scott Henson, 41, in the 2200 block of SW 57 when Henson came home for his lunch break about 11:30 a.m., police said. Henson, whose wife said has a concealed weapons permit, pulled out a handgun and shot Penn to death.

The second person inside the home ran away, police said.
    Link

Police: Cross-Dressing Man Robs Macon Store

A Central Georgia man is recovering from a gunshot wound; he got shot after robbing a Macon liquor store at gun point.

A news release from Sgt. Melanie Hofmann with the Macon Police says 50-year-old Ricky Nell Johnson robbed the ABC Liquor Store at 1194 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. on Saturday.

The release says Johnson entered the store around 6:45 p.m. wearing a wig and skirt. It says he showed a handgun, jumped on the counter and demanded money.

After getting some cash, Johnson fired a shot and ran out of the liquor store. The release says an employee returned fire.

According to the release, Johnson was found near a parking deck at the Medical Center. He was taken by ambulance to the emergency room, where doctors treated him for a gunshot wound to the torso near the buttocks.

Johnson was released from the hospital and taken to the Bibb County Law Enforcement Center. He is charged with one count of Possession of a Firearm by a Convicted Felon, two counts of Aggravated Assault, and one count of Armed Robbery.

Link

Resident shoots man trying to break into Berkeley Heights home

A resident shot a man last night when the would-be intruder tried to enter a home in the Deserted Village of Feltville, authorities said.

The shooting in the secluded section of Watchung Reservation occurred around 9 p.m. on Cataract Hollow Road, Union County Police Chief Dan Vaniska said. He said the victim, whose name and address were not available, was taken to Morristown Memorial Hospital and was listed in stable condition.

"An unwanted guest forced himself into the residence and a resident responded by shooting him," Vaniska said at the scene.

Details were scant last night, but Vaniska said the home's residents were brought to county police headquarters, where they were being questioned.

It was not known where on the premises the shooting occurred, but a sedan parked near the porch of the two-story, wood-frame house had a shattered left rear window.

Cataract Hollow Road is part of the historic Deserted Village of Feltville. The site in Watchung Reservation was inhabited by small businesses, a mill and families on and off from 1845 to 1916. Visitors can stroll the village, which includes homes the county leases.

Vaniska said he knew of at least three families who live in the village.

An investigation is continuing and Vaniska said he could not address charges at this point.
    Link

Tampa woman stops armed carjacker with her own gun

A Tampa woman refused to be a carjacking victim when she was approached by an armed man who jumped into her car on Thursday.

The woman, who only wants to be identified as Adrianna, pulled out her own gun. "I just leaned forward and punched him in the forehead with my gun," she said. The man "screamed like a girl and almost dropped his gun" as he ran away, she added.

Tampa Police have arrested one suspect so far in what they see as a pattern of carjackings. A-Keem Carr was arrested on related charges, but two others are believed to be preying on motorists in the Westshore area.

So far, two carjackings and four attempted carjackings have occurred over the last two weeks. In one case, a man from Land O' Lakes was pumping gas when an armed suspect approached demanding the car keys.

The man refused because his 6-month-old son was still in his car seat and the suspect took off.

Another incident involved a woman who was closing her business when she was approached by an armed man who took her van. Her credit cards were used at a business in St. Petersburg and the van was found later along 39th Street in St. Petersburg. A. Keem Carr was charged in that crime.

Other carjacking attempts included a woman standing next to her car in the Regency Apartments when she was approached but she screamed and scared off the bandit.

Adrianna was pulling into the International Mall when the armed man jumped in her car. She talked about defending herself. "I didn't want to have to shoot...anyway over a car. But if it was going to be him or me..."

Tampa Police warn the suspects are becoming more aggressive and may be ****e to violence.
    Link

Armed citizen takes out tires as shoplifters flee

A citizen with a “concealed-carry” handgun license shot out a tire on a car full of fleeing shoplifters, then followed them in his own vehicle Wednesday morning, helping Azle police apprehend four people who were subsequently charged with robbery.

Police officers from at least three agencies caught up with everyone in a neighborhood behind Allsup’s convenience store off Highway 199 west of Azle.

Four accused shoplifters had been spotted by employees of Albertsons grocery store and were attempting a getaway with less than $50 worth of miscellaneous items when they were spotted by a citizen in the parking lot. The citizen was carrying a properly licensed concealed weapon, Azle police chief Steve Myers said Wednesday afternoon.

The fleeing driver seemed to be headed straight for the citizen, who fired at the vehicle, striking a front tire.

Another citizen called 911 and reported “an undercover officer shooting at someone who tried to run him down,” Myers said.

That “undercover officer”, it was later discovered, was the armed citizen, Myers said. Both the caller and the “shooter” remained unidentified by police in the interest of their safety.

However, the man with the handgun got in a pickup and followed the suspect vehicle, which could no longer be driven by the time it arrived in the neighborhood, Myers said.

“I guess they thought they could turn off the highway and get lost out in the county,” he said.

However, that area is made up of just a few interconnected streets, with no other way out besides the highway, he said.

Arrested were Michael Reiser, 38, of San Angelo; Kyle Scott, 21 of Fort Worth; Jennifer Jeffrey, 35, of San Angelo; and Tami Mickey, 32, of Fort Worth.

Three of the four were apprehended at the vehicle by Azle police in the 400 block of Oakwood Street. Reiser, the driver, was caught by Azle officer Chris Negrete and a DPS trooper about 30 minutes later in the 1600 block of Willowwood Drive.

Both are off of Pearson Lane, north of the highway.

The four reportedly discarded the shoplifted items as they drove from the scene.

They will be charged with robbery, a felony, instead of shoplifting, a misdemeanor, because the car was used as a deadly weapon in their escape, Myers said.

Albertson’s is in Tarrant County, so charges will be filed with the Tarrant County District Attorney’s office even though the suspects were caught in Parker County. Azle police, Parker County Sheriff’s deputies and at least two Department of Public Safety troopers helped in the chase, Myers said.

The chief has mixed feelings about the help officers received from an armed citizen.

“Our concern in a situation like that is the number of people in the immediate vicinity of an individual who don’t have a way to know who or what he is,” Myers said.

“A uniformed officer is easily identifiable. But the public doesn’t know who (a citizen with a handgun) is, or how to help.”

On the other hand, this particular citizen did choose the most restrained use of his weapon, firing only at the tires of the vehicle and ultimately helping catch a car full of suspects.
    Link

Police: St. Pete homeowner with shotgun confronts burglar

A homeowner confronted a burglar this morning, smashing the intruder across the face with the butt end of a shotgun, St. Petersburg police said.

The burglar, identified by police as Justin Masse, 22, at first fled, then turned around and started toward homeowner Michael Lowry, a U.S. Navy veteran, police said. That's when Lowry fired a shell in the ground, and Masse ran off, police said.

A newspaper delivery person spotted Masse unconscious two blocks away in a front yard, police said. Masse received stitches and was eventually transported to the Pinellas County Jail on a charge of residential burglary, police said.

The attempted break-in occurred about 4 a.m. at Lowry's home, in the 5000 block of Second Avenue South, police said. Lowry spotted Masse in his detached garage and confronted Masse with the 12-gauge shotgun.

During a fight that followed, Masse was struck in the face with the butt of the weapon, apparently considered continuing the struggle and then ran off before falling unconscious, police said.
    Link

They happen all the time but only make local news in most cases so that's why you never hear about it, but there are 2.5 million defensive uses of firearms each year.

I can post alot more if you like but my fear is I could go on forever.

tagged for reading later, thanks keep posting!!

GREAT so far!!!

Nice to read about the good guys winning for a change.

Navy SEAL Marcus Lutrell

Glenn Beck: Teen punks murder American hero's dog

On Thursday I believe it was, Wednesday or Thursday about 1:00 a.m., Marcus is a guy who doesn't sleep anymore at night. He sleeps during the daytime. And about 1:00 he happened to be awake and he heard a gunshot. He lives on a ranch with his mother in Texas. He grabs his gun and he goes outside. There he sees, I believe it was four. It may be three but I believe it was four young men 18 to 24 years old, all of them, where they had just shot his dog. Marcus' dog is named Dasy. Each letter represents D A S Y represents one of the fallen members of his team. It was given to him in recovery to help him through the recovery process. This dog means everything to Marcus. Marcus had his gun and he took it out and he put it right between the eyes of one of the guys. He was standing away from them, pointed right between the eyes. Now, here's a SEAL team member who is wildly, he's just, he is having trouble, man. He is still recovering from his injuries. He had just gotten out of surgery. He's standing there with a gun between the guy's eyes. He doesn't fire. All four and he's just saying, "You killed my dog." They executed his dog. "You killed my dog. Why would you do that?" They run. They get into his car. Marcus gets into his truck, chases them over four counties, finally runs them into a ditch. He calls the Rangers. The Texas Rangers arrive and these guys, when the Texas Rangers are taking these guys away, Marcus has held them there by a gun. As the Rangers are taking these guys away, they're threatening Marcus' life and saying, "When we get out, we're coming for you next. First it was your dog. It's going to be you next. You don't know who you're messin' with." That's when Marcus kind of snapped just a little bit and said to the Ranger, "Excuse me, ranger, do you know who I am?" He said, "Yes, sir, Mr. Luttrell, I do." He said, "You might want to explain to these punks because I could have killed them 600 different ways and if I wanted to kill you guys after what you would have done what you just did to my dog, I would have pulled you down into my basement and I would have tortured you for days and you wouldn't have died until you begged me for death. So before you start saying you're going to come after me, you better learn who you've just whose dog you just killed."

Armed citizens helped stop Charles Whitman's shooting spree from the the tower of the University of Texas. Armed citizens started to show up and shoot back at him. Although they weren't able to hit him from the base of the tower, they pinned him down. Then two police officers and an armed citizen climbed up into the tower to killing him and ending his rampage.

Quote Originally Posted by InetWarrior View Post
    Wasn't Charles Whitman an armed citizen too?
    And former Marine, so what's your point?

The fact that there is a fine line between criminals and the law abiding?

What's with the asshats trying to derail this thread?

Hey brit and inet, go start a "****s and limey's" thread, maybe we'll go post there too, schmucks.

Quote Originally Posted by InetWarrior View Post
    Armed citizens not only stopping crime but they commited them too.
    People should remember that...

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]A legally armed US citizen is still responsible under the laws of the State they are in. If they shoot someone who does not represent a threat as determined by the laws of that State (The level of threat varies) then they will be charged and convicted. If you carry a gun or any other device for self-defense, you must know what constitutes a deadly threat in the area you live in. [/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]Even in Canada, you are allowed to use deadly force to defend yourself against a threat to your life and that use of force has recently been upheld in Canada. [/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]In the US you are far more likely to be accidental shot by a Police officer than by a armed citizen trying to prevent a crime.[/SIZE][/FONT]

ColinP, a common sense is a wasted concept with that guy, let it go

Yeah man, leave the politics out.

Let's just put that aside for a moment and just read some feel good accounts of the ordinary man winning.

In the account posted about the shotgun-armed USN vet, the crim - probably unarmed - received a butt stroke to the face, but continued to want to attack the shotgun armed vet. He only ran off when the citizen fired a warning shot.

The crim must be very violent, or very stupid, or very high on drugs. Or all of the above. Good thing the vet had the shotgun.

Upon saying that, here are a few more stories of the brave taking on the cowardly....

Deputies: Armed homeowner stops burglary

Sheriff’s deputies say a 25-year-old Summerfield man accused of burglarizing a home didn’t get very far, as the homeowner retrieved his .45-caliber handgun and held the man at gunpoint until they arrived.

Calvin Crews told deputies on Wednesday he was at his residence in the 10000 block of Southeast 108th Terrace Road when he heard someone calling his name. Crews said he looked outside and saw 25-year-old James Lazarus Wayne Day running toward a truck, according to a Marion County Sheriff’s Office report.

Crews said he got his gun and returned to the window. He said Day drove the truck up to the front porch, ran inside the home, went to a bedroom and removed a five-gallon jug that was filled with about $600 in change.

Crews then held the man at gunpoint and called deputies, according to the report. When they arrived, Crews came out of the home with his gun and told authorities what had happened.

Entering the home, deputies found Day kneeling on the floor next to the five-gallon jug of change. Day told them he went to Crews’ home to ask for a job. He said he had just stuck his head in the door when Crews pulled a gun on him.

Officials said Day used to work for Crews.

Day was then arrested and taken to the Marion County Jail where he was charged with residential burglary and grand theft.

Link

Burglar shot by homeowner

A woman whose house was being burglarized is believed to have shot one of the three men caught in her home early Thursday.

The woman arrived at her home in northeast Columbia and found that her back door had been kicked open, according to a release from the Columbia Police Department. Inside, she found three men robbing her house.

She left the house, and the men followed her. She told police that one of the men had a handgun and pointed it at her. She fired one round at the men, the release stated.

Investigators collected evidence that led them to believe that one suspect was shot. Though local hospitals were notified, there were no suspects at the time of the news release.

The woman was not able to provide a detailed description of the suspects but noted a suspicious-looking silver hatchback car near her house with a woman inside. The car was seen leaving the area immediately following the incident.

Columbia Police Department's Major Crimes Unit is investigating the incident. Anonymous tips can be submitted on the CrimeStoppers Web site for a possible reward of up to $1,500, if the information leads to an arrest.
    Link

Two young girls, sisters, were in critical condition late Thursday after being run down earlier in the evening while crossing the street arm-in-arm after playing with friends.

The driver reportedly attempted to flee, but was stopped at gunpoint by a man who witnessed the accident.

According to witnesses, the two girls, ages 4 and 6, were crossing 11th Street at Dodge Street about 7:18 p.m. when a man traveling west on 11th in a blue Chevrolet Lumina struck both of them at about 40 mph.

"No sooner had they crossed the street than I heard tires lock up and, 'Boom! Boom!,'æ" said Alan Knepp, who was standing just up the street when the girls were hit.

Knepp said the younger girl passed quickly beneath the vehicle, but her older sister rode the hood for several seconds before falling beneath the front end and then under both driver's side tires.

The girls behind him, the driver then hit the gas, witnesses said, but stopped when Knepp, who was legally carrying a gun, jumped in front of the vehicle and trained his weapon on it.

Approached by Knepp, the driver reportedly said the girls had jumped out in front of him. He then handed his keys to Knepp and stood silently next to his vehicle until police arrived.

The girls, meanwhile, lay nearly lifeless in the road, witnesses said. The younger one initially was not breathing, and the older one's limbs and neck were badly twisted.

Fetched by a neighbor, the girls' mother arrived moments later and reportedly passed out at the sight of her daughters' motionless bodies.

Both girls were rushed by ambulance to Memorial Hospital in South Bend with critical injuries, Mishawaka police Capt. Pasquale Rulli said. One was immediately admitted into surgery, he said, and the other flown to Riley Hospital for Children in Indianapolis.
    Link

Biker scares away robbers with gun, legal question remains

Four teens knocked a 42-year-old Racine man from his bike Friday night. He thought they were going to rob him.

The man pulled a Smith and Wesson revolver from his side holster, pointed it at the sky and yelled, “Gun!”

The four suspects ran, and the man flagged down a Racine police officer.

The incident will perhaps mark the first time a new opinion allowing open carry of firearms is put to the test here, as it conflicts with another state statute that makes it illegal to possess a gun within 1,000 feet of a school, if not on private property.

The Racine man involved, who asked not to be named and declined to comment on the alleged robbery attempt when contacted by The Journal Times, was assaulted in the 1100 block of Grand Avenue, which is within 1,000 feet of Walden School, 1012 Center St.

Police did not arrest the man. After he was treated for head and wrist injuries at the scene by Racine rescue, officers escorted the man home and returned his gun to him.

But that doesn’t mean charges won’t be filed against the man, and police are questioning how such situations should be handled in the future.

“It’s difficult with the way the laws are written to carry (a gun) and not get into trouble,” said police spokesman Lt. Jim Dobbs.

He said the new open carry ruling will probably prompt more and more people to wear firearms, but in many places in the city, even stepping off their front porch would mean they are breaking the law.

“People will break the law inadvertently,” Dobbs said. “We want clarification from the state on what we should be doing.”

Last month, Attorney General J.B. Van Hollen sent out a memo saying openly wearing a holstered gun is not illegal. While Wisconsin law states a person cannot legally carry a concealed weapon, it does not address carrying a firearm in plain sight.

The opinion has created many questions, now including the apparent conflict between the existing statute over possessing a firearm near a school.

Racine County District Attorney Mike Nieskes said Tuesday that he has been briefed on the incident and has talked to the state Attorney General’s Office about it. “We don’t have all the information,” he said. “It’s still under investigation.”

Bill Cosh, spokesman for the state Department of Justice, said the Attorney General's Office wouldn't comment on specific cases or fact-pattern scenarios.

According to the police report, just after 10:30 p.m. an officer on patrol saw a bike lying in the roadway in the 1100 block of Grand Avenue. He then saw the victim walk out from between two houses holding a revolver. The man flagged the officer down as he set the gun on the concrete.

The man told the officer that he had just been assaulted. He said he was openly carrying his black and silver revolver in a side holster while riding his bike west on 12th Street toward Grand Avenue. He saw a group of teens on the corner of 12th and Grand and said, “Bike coming through,” to warn the group.

As the man turned onto Grand Avenue, he turned around to look at the group and was hit in the back of the head, the police report said. The man was knocked from his bike and hit in the head again.

The man told police he drew his revolver, pointed it to the sky and yelled out, “Gun!”

The four suspects ran west on 12th Street and the man went to hide between the two houses. He told police he intended to contact authorities, but then saw the squad car pulling up.

According to the report, the man believed the teens were trying to rob him. He could not give police a description other than the suspects were four black, male teens.
    Link

Schriever man fatally shoots armed burglar

An armed burglary that ended with a homeowner’s brother fatally shooting a suspect was preceded by a rash of similar crimes in the area, deputies said.

15 burglaries occurred, said Maj. Brent Hidalgo of the Terrebonne Parish Sheriff’s Office. Within the past month, missing goods including yard tools and even food have been reported to sheriff’s detectives.

The high crime is unusual for the Schriever area, and detectives are investigating, he said.

“It’s a list (of goods) a mile long,” Hidalgo said. “That’s not normal.”

About 10:30 p.m. Tuesday, two brothers who live in the 400 block of West Main Street discovered a pair of men — one of whom was armed with a BB gun — who had broken into one of the men’s garage.

The homeowner, Chris Derocher, and his brother, Bryan Derocher, live on the same property in separate homes.

Bryan Derocher called his sibling that evening when he saw two men walking around the property, deputies said.

When Chris Derocher, who was away from home, arrived, he noticed his garage window was damaged and a motion-sensor light inside the garage was turned on, deputies said.

Chris Derocher and his brother, who was armed with a handgun, opened the garage door and found the two men inside, deputies said.

One of the suspects, Terry Hayes, 34, brandished the BB gun at the men, and Bryan Derocher fired two shots, one of which struck Hayes in the torso.

Hayes died at the scene, deputies said.

Hidalgo said Hayes’ BB gun was indistinguishable from an actual gun.

The other burglary suspect, Charles Mouton, 42, of Thibodaux, was held at gunpoint by Bryan Derocher until deputies arrived.

Hayes had previously been arrested for armed robbery, theft, burglary, illegal possession of stolen goods and illegal carrying of a firearm, among other charges, deputies said.

Mouton had similar arrest history.

Mouton has been booked for simple burglary, aggravated burglary, parole violation and second-degree murder.

He is being held at the Terrebonne Parish jail in lieu of $250,000 bond.

A suspect can be charged with murder if, in the act of committing a burglary, a life is lost, said Carlos Lazarus, first assistant district attorney.

Bonds for the murder and parole charges have yet to be set, deputies said.

Hidalgo said deputies have increased their patrols in the area and are working on the outstanding burglary cases, some of which have been tough to solve because of a lack of evidence.

Deputies are looking into whether Mouton and Hayes were behind some of the cases reported in the past month, he said.

Attempts to reach the homeowner Wednesday were unsuccessful.
    Link

Man shoots woman, foils carjacking, police say

A woman who tried to carjack a man at gunpoint outside a North Side Walgreens early Thursday was shot and wounded by the man, police said.
    The man called police around 12:30 a.m. to report he had just shot one of two women who tried to take his car as he waited in the pharmacy drive-through near East Grant and North Swan roads, said Sgt. Fabian Pacheco, a Tucson Police Department spokesman.

Pacheco gave this account:
    The 26-year-old man, whose name was not released, had just left Tucson Medical Center and went to fill a prescription.
    When he drove back to the drugstore to check on his prescription, two women came up to his car. One was armed with a gun.
    The woman tried to shoot the man, but he pulled his own gun while she was trying to pull the trigger. Her gun didn't fire for an unknown reason.
    The man fired his gun twice. One shot grazed her head, and the other struck her in the shoulder.
    The woman fell to the ground, and the man took her gun away.
    He drove away and called police from a convenience store at East Pima Street and North Craycroft Road.
    The wounded woman, whose name was not released, was found at the Walgreens. She was taken to a hospital, where she remained Thursday night.
    The suspect is expected to recover and will face charges upon her release from the hospital. The other woman was found a short distance away. She will not face any charges, Pacheco said.
    Link

I added this because it's about an off-duty cop using his sidearm to defend himself and his family. The article's title makes it sound like he shoots two people in cold blood but if you read further you'll see that it's about a guy who defends his family and himself.

Off-duty cop shoots 2 in lot after Angels game

Police sergeant says officer was hit in head by object while with family
    The Associated Press
    updated 3:42 a.m. ET June 25, 2009
    ANAHEIM, Calif. - An off-duty police officer shot and wounded two men who had assaulted him in the crowded Angel Stadium parking lot after Wednesday night’s Colorado Rockies-Los Angeles Angels game, authorities said.
    The officer, who was walking to his car with his wife and small children about 25 minutes after the game, was hit in the head with an object, police Sgt. Tim Schmidt said.
    The off-duty officer then shot the men with his duty weapon, Schmidt said. Police did not immediately identify the officer or the shooting victims.
    One man was shot in the head and was in critical condition, the other was shot in the arm and in serious condition. The officer also had a serious head wound. All three were taken to hospitals.
    No one else in the parking lot was hurt, Schmidt said.
    The Orange County District Attorney’s office joined the Anaheim Police department in investigating the incident, which is required in officer-involved shootings.
    The Angels had beaten the Rockies 11-3 earlier in the evening.
    © 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

URL: http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/315386...orts-baseball/