Page 48 of 56 FirstFirst ... 384041424344454647484950515253545556 LastLast

Thread: New Camo for Afghan...wha?

Quote Originally Posted by GG View Post
    That would make sense if we were invading Europe (again).
    Oh well...if wishes were horses, you'd be in the Cavalry.

Quote Originally Posted by seraosha View Post
    Oh well...if wishes were horses, you'd be in the Cavalry.
    ??????????????

That would make sense if we were invading Europe (again).
    Shh! Don't give ideas to Bill O'Reilly!

Quote Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
    Hum... not having to pay royalties to Crye?
    If that was the issue they could have gone with Desert All Over Brush -- which is on par with MultiCam as a universal pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by bababooey View Post
    The answer to my question is probably buried within this whole thread, but, why didn't the army go back to BDU's? Would'nt it have been cheaper and as effective?
    Probably because that would be admitting a huge mistake, which of course they wont do, right?

Banned user

Quote Originally Posted by bababooey View Post
    The answer to my question is probably buried within this whole thread, but, why didn't the army go back to BDU's? Would'nt it have been cheaper and as effective?
    No it wouldn't have been anywhere near as effective since it is not an all terrain camo pattern.

The Glorious Democratic Peoples Republik of the State of New York.

Quote Originally Posted by nickless View Post

SNIP

.... all that stuff is non-existent in woodland camo and simply going back to the BDU would mean loosing all of it or effectively producing new uniforms in an old, not-so-great-in-the-first-place pattern.

What was wrong with the Woodland pattern used in the BDU? It seemed to work pretty well in green areas to me.

-K

Quote Originally Posted by MattG View Post
    I wonder how pissed our military aid recipients will be when we try to pawn off UCP ACU's and gear on them.
    Hear Iran's into it...

Quote Originally Posted by carolvs View Post
    If that was the issue they could have gone with Desert All Over Brush -- which is on par with MultiCam as a universal pattern.
    Superior actually, assuming the tests are correct. Why they turned the last test into a UCP vs. Multicam boggles my mind. One of the random test patterns (Syria) even matched MC but was wholly discarded. Who's district is this stuff going to be made in again?

Quote Originally Posted by brainplay View Post
    Superior actually, assuming the tests are correct. Why they turned the last test into a UCP vs. Multicam boggles my mind. One of the random test patterns (Syria) even matched MC but was wholly discarded. Who's district is this stuff going to be made in again?
    A big issue in this decision was what is availablein the now. The industrial base for MultiCam is already well established.

A big issue in this decision was what is availablein the now. The industrial base for MultiCam is already well established.
    By airsoft companies and clone manufactures. Actual output of real Crye MC is actually pretty low due to the cost. And MC ain't cheap if you're getting the real deal. Transfer of MC from a prototype to full production didn't take long as exampled by how fast it hit the markets. Considering that they had uniform prototypes in All Over Brush shows that the pattern already has a template which isn't but a stone throw to making it a full production template. Various companies like Propper would bid on the ability to make the stuff from the government owned template unlike Crye who is just charging to use it's pattern.

Banned user

They tested other patterns including Desert Brush in the latest photo test. MC was evaluated as best for Afghanistan, mirroring the results of the British tests. It is also already in production and other branches, the Brits and other allies already use it. Switching to a lesser performing and more difficult to produce pattern wouldn't make any sense unless they were determined to be different. I think they got that out of their system with UCP. I have no problem with Desert Brush but this decision makes the most sense and allows them to field it quickly and in time for the summer/fall push. It is a considerable improvement and sorely needed.

By airsoft companies and clone manufactures. Actual output of real Crye MC is actually pretty low due to the cost. And MC ain't cheap if you're getting the real deal. Transfer of MC from a prototype to full production didn't take long as exampled by how fast it hit the markets. Considering that they had uniform prototypes in All Over Brush shows that the pattern already has a template which isn't but a stone throw to making it a full production template. Various companies like Propper would bid on the ability to make the stuff from the government owned template unlike Crye who is just charging to use it's pattern.
    You really have no idea what you are talking about. There is very little fake MultiCam sold in this country. When it is found it is terminated, with extreme prejudice by Crye's legal team. There is a significant amount of licensed Crye MultiCam in production and that is what is important. Your examples are completely off base. Propper doesn't manufacture nor print fabric. Properly printed fabric is the long pole in this tent. There is a well established industrial base producing mil-spec Crye MultiCam led by Duro. Everyone gets their Cordura from Duro. The Defender-M for the FR ACUs will come from Tencate. They have already broken the code on this.

Having a pattern and a "template" is one hell of a lot farther than a stone's throw from reliable full scale production.

Duro... THAT's the Cordura people. I couldn't think of that name to save my life.

brainplay -- GG knows his stuff, trust me. He pointed out some facts (that I had misconstrued) to me a couple weeks ago and after research, he was indeed spot-on.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2774/...0c1860_bdotjpg

Spc. Eddie L. Williams, a computer detection repairer at Fort Belvoir, Va., models the new MultiCam Army Combat Uniform, which will be issued to Soldiers deploying to Afghanistan beginning in July.

See more at www.army.mil

Soldiers deploying to Afghanistan to get new MultiCam uniforms, boots, gear

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2764/...d4a2cb_bdotjpg

The new Mountain Combat Boots, issued to troops deploying to Afghanistan as part of the Rapid Fielding Initiative process, feature a tougher, more durable sole for gripping the mountainous Afghan terrain.

See more at www.army.mil

Soldiers deploying to Afghanistan to get new MultiCam uniforms, boots, gear