Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: U.S.M.C. Young Marines

Default U.S.M.C. Young Marines

Hello gentlemen,

I'm realy wondering what the young marines exely are and that kindda stuff and I would love to see some pics.
    I googled alot tryed alot of differend search terms but didnt realy find anything relevand.

Cheers

It's a military youth organisation. I was in the Sea Cadets...I did a bunch of infantry stuff and training of other cadets in a Navy based organization.

Quote Originally Posted by Soldat_Américain View Post
    It's a military youth organisation. I was in the Sea Cadets...I did a bunch of infantry stuff and training of other cadets in a Navy based organization.
    Is it some kindda school with military oriantation orso?
    I just read on the internet that they also are stationd in germany. are you allowd to join as an european?

They aren't stationed in Germany...they may have some units in Germany but they aren't stationed there, they are not a part of the US Military.

Banned user

And you went over to the Dark Side? You sir have no honor!!

I call BS on you searching.

Also, if you live in Europe.. yea you can't join an American youth organization.. biggest issue if you didn't guess was you're in Europe an they are in the US.

http://www.youngmarines.com/

About the Young Marines

The Young Marines is a youth education and service program
    for boys and girls, ages 8 through completion of high school.
    The Young Marines promotes the mental, moral, and physical
    development of its members. The program focuses on character
    building, leadership, and promotes a healthy, drug-free lifestyle.
    The Young Marines is the focal point for the U.S. Marine Corps'
    youth Drug Demand Reduction efforts. Learn more.
    Upon joining a local Young Marine unit, the youth undergo an orientation program, generally spread out over several weekly meetings. This orientation program is affectionately called "Boot Camp." The youth learn the general Young Marine subjects such as history, close order drill, physical fitness, customs and courtesies, and military rank structure. The youths do NOT attend a "military-style" resident program. This is not a program where you send your children for an extended period. On average, units meet once or twice per week year round.

http://www.youngmarines.com/unitlocator.htm

The Marine Corps volunteers running the Young Marines and Devil Pups. But you would have to live in the U.S. to partcipate.

1. http://www.youngmarines.com/

2. http://www.devilpups.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Panchito12 View Post
    And you went over to the Dark Side? You sir have no honor!!
    What can I say...the yut yuts didn't appeal to me, being a Seabee was the only thing I thought would be cool since I grew up around NBVC Port Hueneme because of cadets...and well all the time I spent on ships made me think ground pounding would be more fun.

Banned user

What can I say...the yut yuts didn't appeal to me, being a Seabee was the only thing I thought would be cool since I grew up around NBVC Port Hueneme because of cadets...and well all the time I spent on ships made me think ground pounding would be more fun.
    Ya could've gone to the Boat School (USNA) and then become a Jarhead, SEAL, EOD, Diver.

Or if you had a sound tactical mind, perhaps chosen to be a SWO

Thumbs up

I grew up around NBVC Port Hueneme...
    What a small world! From 1991 - 2001, I was with Weapons Company, 2nd Battalion, 23rd Marines at Hueneme.

Purveyor of Milwaukee Iron RECON DOC's Avatar

I used to be in the Young Marines. From age 14 - 16. They then changed the name to Marine Cadets. I was also involved with them for about a year after I got out of the Army as a volunteer, but my then wife made a big stink about the time I spent there so I gave it up.
    It was a lot of fun as a kid. Got to go to different NG camps and a yearly trip to Camp Lejeune (I couldn't afford to go to that one)
    We held our meetings at Ft Nathan Hale Naval Reserve Center in New Haven/East Haven CT. I have some pics but nothing exciting, just a bunch of kids standing around in BDUs.

they may astablish some thing like the Young marines here in the netherlands, I would be the firts to join.

What about Boy Scouts, there international right? Also, Civil Air Patrol is better

Civil Air Patrol > Sea Cadets > Young Marines > Boy Scouts.

Level of Boy Scout awesomeness is directly dependent on the Boy Scout adult leadership. Had two different one when growing up. One we didn't really do much but meet once a week and then go to a week long summer camp. The other (who was the first) had a planned event once a month, brought in guests to speak about different subjects, taught survival outside of the basic manuals (tanning hides was fun), and did it cheaply through volunteers.

I've seen the Young Marines...wasn't impressed. Lots of ego stroking but not much else of substance being taught there. Could also depend on their adult leadership. CAP was hardcore at the time (did I mention I was 16 then) since we would actually be used to assist looking for downed planes. JROTC was pretty fulfilling due to the city, state, and national competitions although you had to involve yourself in the teams otherwise it could get boring.