Thread: 20 years ago , the assault on AF-8969

Default 20 years ago , the assault on AF-8969

The assault (from the movie the assault)

I can't believe it's been 20 years already. I remember like it was yesterday.

One of the best executed hostage rescues ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Martel View Post
    I can't believe it's been 20 years already. I remember like it was yesterday.
    Pareil, I was skiing in Chanonix that week, and we really had a shock while watching this on live.

Make sure one remembers that an empty plane sits higher on the suspension than a full plane and adjust the assault stairs/passenger ramps.

looking at the film l'assaut and seeing that firefight, i'm still amazed the passengers or crew didn't get hit. That and the how bloody close range the firefight was.

Default Revolvers

Quote Originally Posted by wiking View Post
    looking at the film l'assaut and seeing that firefight, i'm still amazed the passengers or crew didn't get hit. That and the how bloody close range the firefight was.
    Notice that GIGN uses Manurhin MR73 revolvers in 357 mag. They also have used a 9 1/2 inch version as a sniper firearm. It was easier to carry while scaling buildings than a rifle. It was successfully used as a sniper firearm on a train hostage taking. The philosophy was accuracy and stopping power over more rounds of a 9mm. They have since adopted also the Beretta 92. The MR 73 Silhouette, a 10 inch version will shoot 1 inch 6 shot groups at 100M with open sights. The sights were made in Switzerland and cost the factory over $120USD in the 80s and 90s. When they were built in Mulhouse at Manurhin, they had to be able to group 19mm outside diameter groups at 25M with factory loads. Chapuis had bought the CNC machinery and tooling and continues to make 6 inch versions.
    Henry

I remember it also.
    GIGN casualties I remember included one that got shot in the arm by AK round after it past through the barrel of his Glock destroying it

The world's an oppressive place to live through -yet with a little pride it's worth it

I remember it too.
    Gotta love the Manurhin

Default Mr73

Quote Originally Posted by valtrex View Post
    I remember it too.
    Gotta love the Manurhin
    The MR73 has a funnel tapered forcing cone which is unique to it. This allows a tighter cylinder gap. There are two flat springs in the grip. One is for the trigger and the other for the hammer. This allows for less than 4 pound double action. The trigger group has 3 rollers which makes it very smooth. The MR73 was the first revolver made on cnc machinery. All parts are interchangeable except for the removable side plate and crane assembly. The MR32 Match, 38 Match and 22 Match had single action triggers that can be adjusted to less than 1 pound. Also the MR73 Silhouette models were single action only.

The version shown in the video foes not have an importers name. US models should have WTT, Alexandria Virginia engraved on the frame. This one is possibly one of my imports that got into the US. It is a MR73 Sport.

This is my 4 inch MR73 convertible with the 9 mm cylinder

MR73 Silhouette 357 mag single action with Silhouette large grip and Match front and rear sights. One can change the front sight post as well as the rear blade.

BTW, Manurhin did not make copies of the PP, PPK and PPK/S, it actually made them for Walther to assemble and then shipped fully assembled models to Walther. It also sold them under the Manurhin name. I own the last two PP that were made in Europe.
    Henry