View Poll Results: .

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll

0 0%

0 0%
Page 1 of 66 1234567891151 ... LastLast

Thread: Post your Aussie SASR, 4RAR, 2CDO, 1CDO, SOTG ... pics in here .

Moderator & Go Go Dancer Of Death Chops's Avatar

Default SASR in Iraq

Check this lovely quote..

"Mr Rumsfeld also praised the work of the Australian troops and described the crack SAS unit as amazing."

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/...749979253.html

rgds

Chops

I heard reports that Australian 'special operations forces' took down three Iraqi patrol boats in the Gulf that had mines onboard. OAG(or OAT not sure?) possibly.

Official Team Milo Selection Committee BiZ's Avatar

OAG(or OAT not sure?) possibly
    There is not OAT or OAG.
    Originally there was when the first TAG was set up in 1981, but the Offshore team was absorbed into one unit (reffered to only as TAG still) in the mid 1980's.

TAG is the Counter Terrorist section of the SASR, and is primarily for domestic CT operations etc, it is not a stand alone unit such as CAG or DEVGRU etc within Delta Force. TAG is a role that is rotated through by all 3 Squadrons on almost yearly basis.
    SASR run a similar system the way the British SAS run/rotate their CT team.

There is a lot of information on the internet about the SASR and TAG and evrything I've seen is rubbish and full of some really strange stuff, and I wouldn't mind finding out who told them some of the crap they state as "fact" etc.

Anyway, in regards to ship boarding, it is not an SASR role in this type of wartime situation, the role is handled by the RAN Boarding Teams and soemtimes CDT (Clearance Divers) will assist especially is this 'mine' ships raid.

To get Australian Military updates on OP Falconer go to
    www.defence.gov.au .

Default Aussie SASR pics in Afghanistan

incase anyone was interested in some more pics of the aussies in afghanistan here is the links

http://www.expeditionexchange.com/action6/

http://www.expeditionexchange.com/action5/

there are some various 22' sas on the site aswell just go through the galleries.
    enjoy!

Official Team Milo Selection Committee BiZ's Avatar

Once again someone states that us (buried in one of pages in the link)Aussies issue/use the Diemaco C8 as opposed to the Colt M4......

I won't bother anymore....

It also asks why the SASR favor the 6WD Landie over the 4WD...

Well it's simple, the 6WD is a custom built design specifically for long range recon and surveilance etc in desert type conditions such as the WA outback, and hostile enagement/break contact role etc.
    4WD "gun buggies" used by 4RAR(Cdo) and the RAAF ADGies are used also by SASR, but the 6WD is a speciality vehicle perfectly designed for it's role and nothing comes close to it. It is a vehicle for a specific task. Easy as that.

Ah, Land Rovers are just the coolest

Until you have to push them up a hill for no apparent reason!

I must admit my faith in the reliability of a Land Rover is hardly gargantuan. I still think they are cool pieces of equipment, as adolescent as it may sound...

I didn't mean that they break down often (depends when they entered service), just that some people find it amusing to set you and your mates the task of 'recovering a crashed landie', inevitably involving pushing it back up a hill/over logs.
    They aren't too unreliable, the new 'wolf' models aren't. The main hassle with them is that they are still under guarantee from the manufacturers; so they have to deal with all servicing issues, however minor. It was the case that you couldn't even repaint them for a while. Stupid, but that's beurocracy for you!

LOL! Ok, but I'm glad to hear that my favourite military vehicle is not as unreliable as I feared.

Still, why aren't larger tyres mounted more commonly? I saw some pics of 22 SAS troops in Iraq in 1991 (IIRC, it was in some book my friend had, can't remember the title) on Landies and they had put much bigger tyres on them, even cutting some metal I think to accomodate them.

No shocking tyre sizes mind you, compared to some I see on the streets around here

SAS landies are extremely modified. Like all the kit they use it's tried and tested both on exercise and in combat. They're able to put larger tyres on them because they have more lee-way than most units. Just imagine turning round to your supply Sgt as a Pvt. driver and saying "I think I fancy some larger tyres, can you fix it for me?" You wouldn't get a nice response. I think they up-armour their vehicles as well. They may need the extra grip/footprint to help shift the things.

I'm just wondering why they're not routinely fitted with bigger tyres. Sure it puts some more strain on the drivetrain and lessens their range, but it could come in handy in bad terrain.

Money, probably. They've done it this way now and it costs too much to change it!

But of course