Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canada in the Korean war

Default Canada in the Korean war

[*******black]On 30 July 1950, three Canadian destroyers: Cayuga, Athabaskan and Sioux arrived in Sasebo, Japan, under orders to sail for Korean waters, the first Canadians to see action in Korea. Five other tribal class destroyers, Crusader, Huron, Iroquois, Nootka, Haida, served under UN Command during the war. Also in July, No. 426 Transport Squadron, Royal Canadian Air Force, flew the first of 600 round trips to the Far East during the war, carrying more than 13,000 passengers and 3,000,000 kilograms of freight. In addition, twenty-two RCAF fighter pilots and a number of technical officers were attached to the U.S. Fifth Air Force in Korea.[/COLOR]
    [*******black]Tragedy struck Canadian troops early--even before arriving in Korea--when 17 gunners of the Royal Canadian Horse Artillery were killed when a passenger and a troop train crashed head-on at Canoe River, B.C. on 21 November 1950. (Like many events of the Korean War, the memory of this tragic event was buried until a cairn was erected and dedicated on 12 May 1990.)[/COLOR]

[*******black]For decades the media ignored it. For the most part, reference to the war was buried in archives, to occasionally arise as a footnote to history and most frequently referred to as the Korean "conflict." This lack of recognition is exemplified in this example: In 1975 the Calgary Herald published a four-part history of Calgary to celebrate the city’s centennial. Calgary’s military connections in the First and Second World Wars were covered extensively. The Korean War was not even mentioned, despite the fact that the first Canadian infantry unit in action in Korea was from Calgary – the Second Battalion PPCLI.[/COLOR]

[*******black]Korea was aptly called The Forgotten War.[/COLOR]

[*******black]http://www.kvacanada.com/canadians_i...korean_war.htm[/COLOR]

PPCLI was the 1st Canadian Unit I head... at the Battle of Kapyong with the Digger Inf. and American Tank Destroyer Unit. Could not believe they fought and survived the engagement with little casualties and maximum enemy casualties. Damn well deserved the PCU.
    Lest We Forget

My grandfather fought and was wounded in Korea. Later on in his career he tried to join the Royal Canadian Legion...he was denied because in the Legion's eyes the Korean Conflict (as it is officialy referred to in Canada) was not a war and thus its participants were not "real" vets. He turned his back in disdain in a proper french Canadian manner. A few years ago, when the Legion noticed its rank fading and it became desperate to recruit more members they nearly begged the Korean Veteran Association to join them. Some did, many refused in protest of prior treatment and ridicule. The Korean War is definitely an overlooked chapter in Canadian history, if not forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by simple jumper View Post
    My grandfather fought and was wounded in Korea. Later on in his career he tried to join the Royal Canadian Legion...he was denied because in the Legion's eyes the Korean Conflict (as it is officialy referred to in Canada) was not a war and thus its participants were not "real" vets. He turned his back in disdain in a proper french Canadian manner. A few years ago, when the Legion noticed its rank fading and it became desperate to recruit more members they nearly begged the Korean Veteran Association to join them. Some did, many refused in protest of prior treatment and ridicule. The Korean War is definitely an overlooked chapter in Canadian history, if not forgotten.
    Jesus? Really? WTF man. PPCLI got a PCU in Kapyong.
    X2, not many people mention it.

Incredibly, I've been referred to more reading and resources on Canada's involvement in Korea by Australians than any official body or institution here in God's own earth.

Quote Originally Posted by boone View Post
    Incredibly, I've been referred to more reading and resources on Canada's involvement in Korea by Australians than any official body or institution here in God's own earth.
    Hey Boone! Been a while!
    Really? Through Australian documents?

Quote Originally Posted by goat89 View Post
    Jesus? Really? WTF man. PPCLI got a PCU in Kapyong.
    X2, not many people mention it.

*PUC

Presidential Unit Citation

An it was the 2nd Battalion, Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry that was there an recieved the award. An I believe a Battalion of The Royal Australian Regiment was also awarded the PUC.

www.army.dnd.ca/2PPCLI/RH-Kapyong.asp

Quote Originally Posted by DnA View Post
    *PUC

Presidential Unit Citation

An it was the 2nd Battalion, Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry that was there an recieved the award and 2PPCLI still wears the PUC.
    ARGH!!!! Mistake again! ><. Brave men they are.

Yes, I'm a chick BearInBunnySuit's Avatar

Korea hasn't forgotten them.

Canada section of the U.N. cemetary in Pusan.

The Canadian solider

Dedicated by Canadian Veterans of the Korean War on November 11, 2001.
    "The soldier stands without a weapon and without any insignia, representing the easy-going nature of Canadians. The 21 Roses of Sharon (the national flower of Korea) and 21 maple leaves held by the boy and the girl represent the 21 MIAs from Canada. It was designed by a Canadian veteran of the Korean War, Vincent R. Courtenay, and sculpted by a Korean artist, Young-moon You."
    Attachments Pending Approval Attachments Pending Approval
    Last edited by BearInBunnySuit; 07-28-2009 at 11:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BearInBunnySuit View Post
    Korea hasn't forgotten them.
    X2. Was watchinmg a documentary and there was this memorial for the PPCLI KIA at Kapyong itself.

In Korea with Norm Christie is a decent documentary about the war.

RIP to those who died.

"Wise and Grumpy" Ban Stick Wielder of Death digrar's Avatar
    "I'll tell you what pressure is. Pressure is a Messerschmitt up your @r5e. Playing cricket is not"

Quote Originally Posted by boone View Post
    There has been a small push here, but it's still a bit of a forgotten war, much like Malaya and Borneo. Only those with a interest know much more about Korea than what they saw in MASH.

Quote Originally Posted by digrar View Post
    There has been a small push here, but it's still a bit of a forgotten war, much like Malaya and Borneo. Only those with a interest know much more about Korea than what they saw in MASH.
    i find it saddening that many canadians dont really know much about korea though and also though i am pretty sure that much young people dont know much about the conflict neither

[LEFT]"Meanwhile, the North Koreans were pushing rapidly forward through the valleys and rice paddies of the Korean peninsula. The South Korean capital, Seoul, was occupied on June 28, and by the first week of August the UN forces were confined within the "Pusan Perimeter", a small area in the southeast of the peninsula. They were still being hard pressed when, on September 15, a successful allied amphibious landing was made at Inchon, the port of Seoul. This assault, coupled with a breakout from the Pusan bridgehead, changed the military situation overnight. The North Korean troops were soon in precipitate retreat.
    The UN forces moved rapidly northward, recaptured Seoul, crossed the 38th Parallel and advanced towards the border of Manchuria. Then Communist China intervened. At the end of November strong Chinese forces crossed the frontier and launched a massive offensive which drove the UN and South Korean armies back across the 38th Parallel to positions well to the south along the Imjin River."
    http://www.korean-war.com/canada.html[/LEFT]

[LEFT]the Korean War. The conflict, which claimed over three million lives and divided the Korean Peninsula along ideological lines, commenced on June 25, 1950, with a Soviet-sponsored DPRK invasion across the DMZ, and ended in 1953 after international intervention pushed the front of the war back to near the 38th parallel. In the ceasefire of July 27, 1953, the DMZ was created as each side agreed in the armistice to move their troops back 2,000 metres (2,200 yd) from the front
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_Demilitarized_Zone[/LEFT]

Canada has a great military history. I had the pleasure of working with some CF people in 2007 and 2008 in Kandahar, Afghanistan. Good stuff.

does anyone know of any sites or does anyone have pics of the canadians in korea for my video i am doing up for eh vet that i know