Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Bluffer's Guide: North Korea strikes! (2009)

I bet we could find those ROK guns if we had the high-res but ROK ain't who I'd be interested in. I'll pray for high-res of the mainland side opposite Baekryeong-do.

If anyone ever buys commercial images, let me know

Good luck with that. The RoK ones too.

I don't know redneck, I've been reading this fascinating interview about DPRK http://www.3quarksdaily.com/3quarksd...ht-colin-.html - perhaps your idea of a larger military confrontation isn't so far off the mark. I think it'd be stupid on their part but then again Pyongyang's view is internal. As it says it's promised its people prosperity by 2012 which ain't likely to occur, so maybe then a big nationalist distraction isn't so unlikely.

There's always the danger of them believing in their own BS.
    Companies with really smart people like Citi and Enron have fallen prey to it. There's no saying that it won't happen with the North Koreans.

Does DPRK have the necessary sea-lift capability to transport enough troops to defeat the ROKMC garrison in Baekryeong island? I'm thinking of hovercrafts, but if DPRK suddenly started amassing large number of hovercrafts along the border for an intrusion, we would know their intent and we would be prepared for them (I think hovercrafts are the only littoral sea-lift asset that they have in significant numbers; we're talking about '50,000 amphibious assault infantry').

They don't have the capability for that. I would imagine the only realistic shot they would have would be to give these Commandos floatation devices and then drop them off in the water and let the current take them to Baekryoung-do. Plenty will miss the island and drown but this is probably the most realistic shot they have at landing any sizable force on that island.

yeah they have significant numbers of hovercraft routinely operating in the area. But 50,000 troops... no way. They would likely use small boats etc. 50,000 troops is a bit improbable anyway

No, if they used inflatable craft they'd be detected and shot to pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by planeman View Post
    I bet we could find those ROK guns if we had the high-res but ROK ain't who I'd be interested in. I'll pray for high-res of the mainland side opposite Baekryeong-do.

If anyone ever buys commercial images, let me know
    Hey man they have some pretty damn cool sat images here, free http://isis-online.org/isis-reports/...ean-peninsula/

I think they are buying them commercially - it's not free-roaming or of the locations I'd be after like google earth is as far as I can tell

Last edited by _GDS_; 05-13-2010 at 05:50 PM.

Dividing my time between the far east and the east coast.

^Very cool.

Good...good... thank you GDS

Those are excellent. Thanks for posting

Planeman - I think that you are public enemy in North Korea and children in Pyongyang sing song how they will kill you :P