Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: US military's vehicle graveyard: Lake Habbaniya

Default US military's vehicle graveyard: Lake Habbaniya

A quick stroll around the southern end of the US military's vehicle graveyard: Lake Habbaniya

The vehicle graveyard at Lake Habbaniya is one of seven established during 2005 when it was decided the cost of shipping wrecks back to the US was prohibitive.

The vehicles shown have suffered hull breach, internal fire, structural failure, or are classified as 'beyond economical repair'

I hope all the crews got out ok.

"beyond economic repair" perhaps for the rich US military, but if they are repairable why not donate them to the new Iraqi army? just like the highly successful humvee program?

^ that is a thought.

Is the maintenance on equipment contracted out locally to major contractors? or is it carried out in house by the military within reason.

Sheep dog standing before wolves The Dane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by qaborg View Post

I hope all the crews got out ok.
    Well, anyone can see that that's not the case!
    Made me feel uncomfortable

The Garlic Fields of Transylvania, Romania.

Have they no scrap value?

Seeing those hulks especially of the Abrams... saddens me to no end.

Store them in a climate controlled facility so that in 50-60 years, people can restore them for Iraq war reenacting.

Quote Originally Posted by ingsoc75 View Post
    Store them in a climate controlled facility so that in 50-60 years, people can restore them for Iraq war reenacting.
    Even better. The airsoft communty can have a Tank squadron to go along with their mortar and air assets.

so what do they do with these vehicles, do they just sit there?, are the gonna scrap them or what?

Even better, save tax payers money.
    ***** them of useable parts for the local fleet, rather than the cost of shipping spare parts from the states for use.
    Then sell the unuseable scrap metal.
    But unfortunately for the tax payer, governments like big companies have accounting departments that can account for money in one way only, debit debit debit. Credit is not an option.

Hm, sad place

Banned user

lol, you guys are all sad. do you guys really think that these were all hit by the enemy? guerillas cripling a tank or an m2a2? cmon.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Gogh View Post
    lol, you guys are all sad. do you guys really think that these were all hit by the enemy? guerillas cripling a tank or an m2a2? cmon.
    I assumed most were victims of IEDs.

All this vehicles (besides most damaged Humvee's) get back to the US.

Only 3 M1's can be potential written off, but only potential, they got heavy suspension damage, some burn marks but I don't see to much evidence of total burn off, maybe only one tank, this standing alone. But I suppose all M1's in this video were repaired, most damages are in suspension area, if hull belly structure wasn't deformed (and to deform it you need extreme high temperature or very big IED), hulls were repaired, turret's if none was burned also are repaired, if hull is beyond repair status turret will heave upgraded hull from old M1/M1IP's or get low production rate new build hull, GLDS also produce new turrets for basi M1's hull or M1IP hulls with old "short" turret's, this is because of no possibility of upgrading old "short" turret's to new "long" turret's.

Two M2's are 100% written off, catastrophic kill, IED or RPG, secondary effect was engine fire and ammo cook-off, alluminium hull just melted down. Rest seems to be less or more damaged, some will be repaired some not.

Humvee's like Humvee's, some was written off and left there, some not, but only ones in best shape, Humwee is preatty cheap and still produced so buildng new ones isn't a problem.

"beyond economic repair" perhaps for the rich US military, but if they are repairable why not donate them to the new Iraqi army? just like the highly successful humvee program?
    None of this M1's will be donated to anyone, this are M1A1HA+'s or M1A1HC's with 2nd. Gen. armor, to much hard work to changde them in to a Monkey Model like 140 M1A1M for Iraqi Army or other Arab country variant. M2A2ODS/ODS-E's also get back to US. Both types still have many Top-Secret thing inside, like armor or something like that.

Besides this one's besides max two to three vehicles are good to repair.

This video is old and from my sources (very realiabale) all MBT's and IFV's in this vid get back to US.

The vehicles shown have suffered hull breach, internal fire, structural failure, or are classified as 'beyond economical repair'
    This is BS, person that wrote this have no idea about how look tank in beyond repair status, it will be totally burned off or we will se hull belly breach even from such point of view, because damage in such situation are very extensive.

Oh, and something interesting. I got new info's about British vehicles casualties. Up from 2003 to 2007 min. 10 FV4034 Challenger 2's were damaged. 7 occured bigger or smaller damage from RPG's and SPG-9's. 1 completely destroyed and written off after F-F, turret blowed off etc. 1 after RPG-29 pefrorated Lower Front Hull covered by ROMOR-A ERA (this is 100% sure right now), status unknow but probably repaired. 1 after EFP breached hull belly, probably hull structure deformation, I suppose repaired but much more probabale that written off.

But there are big probability that there were more damaged CR2's in Iraq.

Also other vehicles like FV510's, FV432's, WMIK's, Jackals, etc. were damaged or destroyed in some numbers.

Still British OPSEC seems to be the best in the world and no pics in net.
    Last edited by Damian90; 08-15-2009 at 09:13 PM.