Thread: Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion

That's a good diagram, but it leaves me with some questions. How many aircraft would be left on the deck during voyages versus those below deck within the hanger?
    Possibly these diagrams were meant to illustrate the individual capacities of the hangar and the flight deck rather than to convey the total aircraft mix, which would surely be tailored to each mission or deployment.

On another topic, I was reading today in Warships IFR about the degree to which the RAF has been permitted to infiltrate the future of naval fixed wing avaiation and even to direct policy regarding the use of these ships. The government would do well to review the lessons learned from the past when the Royal Navy was not permitted to have proper control of its air wings.

The same issue had a nice picture of one of the CB02 units during roll-out from the shed at Cammell Laird which I had not seen before. The CB02 units are quite large in comparison to the CB03 units we have seen installed at Rosyth.

Wisconsin: The Land of Beer, Cheese, and Football.

You do have a point about the total aircraft mix. In fact, this makes me wonder what role UCAVs will play with these vessels, especially if the UK continues its development of the BAE Systems Taranis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BAE_Taranis

Quote Originally Posted by Magnificent View Post
    The same issue had a nice picture of one of the CB02 units during roll-out from the shed at Cammell Laird which I had not seen before. The CB02 units are quite large in comparison to the CB03 units we have seen installed at Rosyth.
    Now thats just teasing Mag, any chance of a scan

Just read this on tha Royal navy web site-

"Her Majesty’s Ships Queen Elizabeth and Prince of Wales, currently under construction, will be the largest warships ever to fly the White Ensign – and signal a return to traditional carrier operations.
    Unlike the current generation of Invincible-class carriers, the sisters use catapults and arrestor gear (‘cats and traps’ in Fleet Air Arm parlance) to launch and land aircraft, rather than ski ramps and vertical landings as embodied by the Harrier jump jet".

Link to full story below.
    http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/News-and...09-1SL-Stennis

Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the Western Spiral arm of the Galaxy

Quote Originally Posted by davidj322 View Post
    ...Nice....

Quote Originally Posted by davidj322 View Post
    Just read this on tha Royal navy web site-

"Her Majesty’s Ships Queen Elizabeth and Prince of Wales, currently under construction, will be the largest warships ever to fly the White Ensign – and signal a return to traditional carrier operations.
    Unlike the current generation of Invincible-class carriers, the sisters use catapults and arrestor gear (‘cats and traps’ in Fleet Air Arm parlance) to launch and land aircraft, rather than ski ramps and vertical landings as embodied by the Harrier jump jet".

Link to full story below.
    http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/News-and...09-1SL-Stennis
    I really, really, really hope this is true.

i hope the gov don't screw up

Magnificient, On RAF infiltration into the operation of the new Carriers the lessons learned before the Second World Wae were, sadly, too late and we entered into that conflict with superb carriers ( Ark Royal, Illustious etc. ) but flying the Swordfish !! The RAF had the Hurricane and the Spitfire. Many Posts ago I drew attention to the 'Inskip Award' which was the result of a belatted realisation by the then Government that the RAF were ( obviously ) concerned primarily with their service and the needs of the naval air arm were secondary.

On the size of the Cammell Laird CB02's they are three decks high against the A&P Tyne CB03's which were two decks. This is because LB03 was one deck higher than LB02. I think this is due to the height of Govan as against Portsmouth. This also manifests itself in the height of the forward island were, according to the graphics, will be shipped with the top of the forward mast missing. This will ( with radar ) be added in Rosyth.

On a different topic the hanger diagram also shows the position of the ships boats. They appear to be three workboats and two Ribs.

Now thats just teasing Mag, any chance of a scan
    Sorry - there wasn't enough material of interest in hte issue to justify the cover price here in Canada so I didn't bring it home.

I really, really, really hope this is true.
    So do we all, but I would not assume from this statement that a decision has been taken in this regard; seems like some inaccurate reporting to me. What is clear is that the RN is going to proceed with CATOBAR for the second ship, and the Admiral's visit to the STENNIS and the embedded FAA pilot are two pieces of a plan to begin regeneration of that capability. What is not yet clear is whether or not the first ship will be refitted for CATOBAR operations. What is becoming clear is that there has been a shift on the part of government toward retention of the first ship, and if possible, conversion to CATOBAR at some point in the future.

Magnificient, On RAF infiltration into the operation of the new Carriers the lessons learned before the Second World Wae were, sadly, too late and we entered into that conflict with superb carriers ( Ark Royal, Illustious etc. ) but flying the Swordfish !! The RAF had the Hurricane and the Spitfire. Many Posts ago I drew attention to the 'Inskip Award' which was the result of a belatted realisation by the then Government that the RAF were ( obviously ) concerned primarily with their service and the needs of the naval air arm were secondary.
    One thing I forgot to mention which I saw in the article was a reference to efforts by the RAF to downplay the contribution of FNS CHARLES DE GAULLE and her air wing in the Libya campaign, and to promote the success of the RAF's land-based air operations. That would seem to have been negated by the excellent reviews of the French carrier's performance (high 90s % availability of Rafales on board) and the Commons Defence Committee report cited in this thread a few pages back which highlighted the very high cost of the land-based air operations, the success of HMS OCEAN with her Apaches, and the notable absence of HMS ARK ROYAL.

On a different topic the hanger diagram also shows the position of the ships boats. They appear to be three workboats and two Ribs.[/QUOTE]

hi guys

Good spot about the ribs! i was too busy looking at the hanger space to notice.

I cant remember if this has already been posted but...
    Attachments Pending Approval Attachments Pending Approval

IIRC, that's been around since the early stages of the carrier project hasn't it?

Guys,

I am mucho impressed by the ACA Media chief, John Fyall, who I emailed earlier today ( Sunday !!! ) to ask if there was 'any reason' for the Portsmouth 'Weekly Cameras' being deleted back to early January. He has replied ... ' No, I need to speak to the internet provider on this, thanks for flagging it up. He also added ' ...In Good News you should soon be able to access new timer lapse images from the Rosyth assembly site soon. Keep a lookout over the next week.

He really does try and provide the paying public with a valuable service !!!

I think so SDL,i was looking at some old pictures on my laptop,sorry.

SuperCarrierFan,it would be good to see some timelapse pictures of the assembly, tar

[QUOTE=SuperCarrierFan;6051868]Guys,

I am mucho impressed by the ACA Media chief, John Fyall, who I emailed earlier today ( Sunday !!! ) to ask if there was 'any reason' for the Portsmouth 'Weekly Cameras' being deleted back to early January. He has replied ... ' No, I need to speak to the internet provider on this, thanks for flagging it up. He also added ' ...In Good News you should soon be able to access new timer lapse images from the Rosyth assembly site soon. Keep a lookout over the next week.

That is good news SuperCarrierFan. I had raised the matter about the Rosyth timelapse with John Fyall just after he took up his appointment although the view from the front of the dry dock would have been fairly limited during Cycle A with LB03 sat at the southern end of the dock. Cycle B is a different matter as all the action will be taking place at the front of the dry dock just in front of the existing camera. Hopefully the internet provider will set up a similar camera ar the rear of the dry dock for Cycle C.

LB03 emerged from the construction hall about 3 weeks before leaving Govan and it took about 3 weeks to off load the block and float it into the dry dock.
    If LB02 is due to float into the dry dock on 22 June it is required to be in Rosyth at the start of the month which means that the block should emerge from the construction hall at the beginning of May to allow time for loading on and securing to the barge followed by transporting to Rosyth. This means that LB05 will need to be out of the construction hall by the last week in April to make way for LB02's progress. In other words we only have 7 weeks to wait at the most for the next major development; that assumes of course that the Centre Blocks are transported to Rosyth after LB02, if before then things could hot up in the next month.