Page 1544 of 1544 FirstFirst ... 5441044144414941534153615371538153915401541154215431544
Results 23,146 to 23,154 of 23154

Thread: Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion

Part of the Waste disposal system, i think, since pyrolysis is thermochemical decomposition of organic material.

Quote Originally Posted by Liger30 View Post
    Part of the Waste disposal system, i think, since pyrolysis is thermochemical decomposition of organic material.
    Cheers Liger

Just seen Duncan in Belfast on her way to Glasgow
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	392.4 KB 
ID:	222809
    https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-an...duncan-glasgow
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	392.9 KB 
ID:	222808  

Quote Originally Posted by cockneyjock1974 View Post
    By the looks of that thing, my guess would be that it is employed in the disposal of plastic waste specifically. You would be amazed at how much plastic waste even a small warship generates. When I first started out, shamefully, it just went over the side. Later in my career we stored it until we got in port and offloaded it then . . . but systems like this were coming down the pike. I just never saw one. I don't know if they intend to use the effluent as a Biofuel, or what, but I assume it is a better answer than the other two options I mentioned above.

Quote Originally Posted by desertswo View Post
    By the looks of that thing, my guess would be that it is employed in the disposal of plastic waste specifically. You would be amazed at how much plastic waste even a small warship generates. When I first started out, shamefully, it just went over the side. Later in my career we stored it until we got in port and offloaded it then . . . but systems like this were coming down the pike. I just never saw one. I don't know if they intend to use the effluent as a Biofuel, or what, but I assume it is a better answer than the other two options I mentioned above.
    Cheers Mike for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by desertswo View Post
    USS Missouri just chopped everything else - don't know about the plastic waste - and sent it into the drink - I know - I helped get the ship's sewage system back online at Ford Island...

Marinisation of the CH47 ..... http://www.ingeniumtech.com/services.../details/?id=4

I wouldn't be the slightest surprised to go down this route. Unfolded the blades and general footprint of Chinooks is big.

I think the customers mentioned there are the dutch. I had looked into the matter a while ago. The dutch also want to marinise their own Apache.

I don't quite know how much havoc budget cuts are causing to these two ambitions, though.

David Downs' latest blog now available:
    http://www.theengineer.co.uk/home/bl...019003.article