Page 1598 of 1598 FirstFirst ... 5981098149815481588159015911592159315941595159615971598
Results 23,956 to 23,968 of 23968

Thread: Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by hovematlot View Post
    ....where will they berth the unoperational QEC?
    Stokes Bay in the Solent, possibly?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stokes Bay.jpg 
Views:	313 
Size:	312.8 KB 
ID:	226687

Some exciting news for Mike.

#HMSQueenElizabeth is now HV Live – this is an important and exciting milestone that allows us to bring all the systems onboard to life!
    https://twitter.com/QEClassCarriers/...46947443195905

Quote Originally Posted by -Eddie- View Post
    Some exciting news for Mike.
    There's a column about going HV live in the weekly update: http://www.aircraftcarrieralliance.c...mms/271014.pdf

Last edited by SKB; 2 Days Ago at 04:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by easydiver View Post
    There's a column about going HV live in the weekly update: http://www.aircraftcarrieralliance.c...mms/271014.pdf
    Thanks guys. That was the hard part if you will, as gross power distribution on that scale and not of the 3-phase 450V variety to which I am accustomed (and just about everyone else who was ever an naval engineer at sea until fairly recently) but something much more powerful, is the part that can be a tad dangerous, to both personnel and material. A short circuit with that sort of juice running through it is not something I even like to think about.

Again, getting gross power distribution operating safely and reliably is probably the "hardest," and potentially most dangerous part, but not necessarily the most time consuming part. Now, as the Alliance has indicated they must, as we say in the USN, "wring out" the shipboard electronics, and that can be an occasionally frustrating experience, even when things go relatively according to plan.

So with the news that the UK has ordered four F-35s in LRIP 8, and plan to have 18 in five years time, what do we think SDSR '15 will decide is the appropriate amount we need (read: can afford)?

138 is still the quoted figure, however you'd have to be delusional to believe we'll get that many.

So with the news that the UK has ordered four F-35s in LRIP 8, and plan to have 18 in five years time, what do we think SDSR '15 will decide is the appropriate amount we need (read: can afford)?

138 is still the quoted figure, however you'd have to be delusional to believe we'll get that many.
    Apparently, according to a defensenews article on the order, the decision over final numbers will not be taken in 2015 either - if i have understood the article correctly that is. I believe it was suggested that what they are calling the 'main order' will be decided upon in 2017.

Whether or not some form of vision or guestimate will be provided in the 2015 SDSR i don't know.

At the moment i am crossing all my fingers that Lockheed and Co. continues with their war on the F-35's costs so that we can hopefully get as close as possible to our original order requirements. 107 Typhoons simply ain't gonna’ cut it and with anything less than 100 F-35s we might as well say goodbye to pursuing our global interests from the air.

Hell, stretching even the original requirements for 138 across the demands of the carrier(s) and the much depleted RAF was going to be 'sticky' enough as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by ~UNiOnJaCk~ View Post
    Apparently, according to a defensenews article on the order, the decision over final numbers will not be taken in 2015 either - if i have understood the article correctly that is. I believe it was suggested that what they are calling the 'main order' will be decided upon in 2017.

Whether or not some form of vision or guestimate will be provided in the 2015 SDSR i don't know.

At the moment i am crossing all my fingers that Lockheed and Co. continues with their war on the F-35's costs so that we can hopefully get as close as possible to our original order requirements. 107 Typhoons simply ain't gonna’ cut it and with anything less than 100 F-35s we might as well say goodbye to pursuing our global interests from the air.

Hell, stretching even the original requirements for 138 across the demands of the carrier(s) and the much depleted RAF was going to be 'sticky' enough as it is.

Is that related to the GOP's "War on Women?"

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWF View Post
    Is that related to the GOP's "War on Women?"
    Not really sure

Quote Originally Posted by ~UNiOnJaCk~ View Post

To be honest i suspect the delay in deciding final orders is to allow the USMC IOC next year to happen and to judge the effects of their reployment at sea by the corp to determine if the Aircraft can actually meet its JCA requirement, They don't want to commit to a large number if they turn out to be expensive to run lemons. Couple that with working out just how we'll use both carriers, what the global threat situation is likely to be and what tailored airgroup may be required along with the state of the economy all make final choices over numbers that much harder. Too many variables at the moment to make a decision just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff_B View Post
    They don't want to commit to a large number if they turn out to be expensive to run lemons.
    It's too late to have anything except the F35 B, so it will be made to work, even if it's at a reduced capability to what was originally envisaged.

The delay in the orders is purely economic, the longer the UK waits, the more productions ramps up for the US and others, the unit cost goes down, it's just a happy (sad) coincidence that there won't be the aircraft carriers ready for another 5-10yrs to take a full UK air wing order anyway.

According to the ACA Twitter feed, the skidding together of Block 02 and 03 is happening TOMORROW!

WTF???

Quote Originally Posted by Pymes75 View Post
    According to the ACA Twitter feed, the skidding together of Block 02 and 03 is happening TOMORROW!

WTF???
    And they've confirmed that there's a TV show being filmed for airing next year! AFAIK, that wasn't a confirmed thing yet...