Page 1609 of 1609 FirstFirst ... 6091109150915591599160116021603160416051606160716081609
Results 24,121 to 24,129 of 24129

Thread: Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by jonas View Post
    Just a snippet to show how long the UK had a base in Bahrain, this is from Wiki, although I knew the base well myself :-

'HMS Jufair was a naval base established in Bahrain on April 13, 1935. In 1950 the US Navy leased space in HMS Jufair and following Bahraini independence in 1971, took over the base.[1] The base was renamed by the US Navy first the Administrative Support Unit Bahrain and then Naval Support Activity Bahrain.[2] '
    All of that is true of course, but one should know that USN surface units to include aircraft carriers rarely, if ever ventured into the Persian Gulf, Red Sea, Northern Arabian Sea, or even the Indian Ocean much before USS Enterprise visited Mauritius in 1975 to render aid and comfort in the wake of a typhoon. They made another trip in '77 but that was well south of the Gulf, to Mombasa, Kenya. What changed? This . . . Even then, before Saddam screwed up and invaded Kuwait, carriers still didn't venture into the Gulf. Didn't need to in order to muss Iran's hair, if that was the mission.

Regardless, it hasn't been the same ever since, and a place where careers once went to die (much like Adak, Alaska and Diego Garcia once were as well), became the center of the known universe as far as the US presence in the Persian Gulf and bordering nations is concerned.

4 more Phalanx to be upgraded to 1B baseline 2, three of which are for HMS Queen Elizabeth. There are also four more Land Based Phalanx to be reconverted into naval 1Bs.
    This means no less than 6 Royal Navy Phalanx had been turned into Centurion C-RAM systems for use in Iraq, since another 2 conversions were funded last year.

http://www.babcockinternational.com/...alanx-systems/

Quote Originally Posted by Liger30 View Post
    4 more Phalanx to be upgraded to 1B baseline 2, three of which are for HMS Queen Elizabeth. There are also four more Land Based Phalanx to be reconverted into naval 1Bs.
    This means no less than 6 Royal Navy Phalanx had been turned into Centurion C-RAM systems for use in Iraq, since another 2 conversions were funded last year.

http://www.babcockinternational.com/...alanx-systems/
    I find this fascinating. If they're still converting Centurion's, did that mean we still had them in service all this time? If so, that's a damn well kept secret. Or more likely, just damn good storage yards.

Quote Originally Posted by RetroSicotte View Post
    I find this fascinating. If they're still converting Centurion's, did that mean we still had them in service all this time? If so, that's a damn well kept secret. Or more likely, just damn good storage yards.
    Almost certainly were in storage somewhere... possibly up to four of them received a very partial navalization and got bolted down on the cargo deck of the Bay LSDs deployed as motherships in the Gulf. Cardigan Bay is still out there with two such systems. If they are part of the four now to be reconvered, they will go into factory when Cardigan Bay returns home (and i believe she will relatively soon), otherwise there were 8 Centurion or more.

Also, worth reminding that that piece of toilet paper that is the SDSR 2010 promised that a new C-RAM capability would be put in service, if i remember right, 2017. I'll believe to it when i see it...
    Last edited by Liger30; 18 Hours Ago at 07:21 AM.

Here is the last of the weekly newsletters to be made avaiallbe to the public:

http://www.aircraftcarrieralliance.c...s/16-12-14.pdf

A bit more news than usual in recent months, with mention of LB05, UB07 and UB14.

Monthly newsletters from now on.

Babcock to Deliver, Convert Phalanx 1B CIWS for Royal Navy Queen Elizabeth Aircraft Carrier

http://www.navyrecognition.com/index...k=view&id=2266

Lovely photos.
    Incidentally, anyone else think those tents makes QE look like a floating football stadium?!

Bush Lawyer, that's me! TheKiwi's Avatar
    Plotting to take control of the Organic Farming Board of Cumberland

Quote Originally Posted by SKB View Post
    ...Incidentally, anyone else think those tents makes QE look like a floating football stadium?!
    Yes

10stadiums...