Page 1610 of 1610 FirstFirst ... 6101110151015601600160216031604160516061607160816091610
Results 24,136 to 24,144 of 24144

Thread: Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Halidon View Post
    There's an interesting contrast with US shipbuilding. When it comes time to do the flight deck work on one of our carriers, our shipyards pick up a bunch of commercially available tents and sheds then plop them wherever.

You blokes appear to be constructing a custom Olympic venue on the deck.
    Ready for all those mega RN cocktail parties

It's just plain old scaffolding. Nothing special really.

Quote Originally Posted by DPM_Sheep View Post
    It's just plain old scaffolding. Nothing special really.
    Sssshhh! OPSEC

This may have been covered before and my apologies if I missed it, but the differences in the construction methods between the Ford class and Queen Elizabeth class either built in one place or assembled together in one place are there any cost advantages in this , and pros and cons

Quote Originally Posted by seaspear View Post
    This may have been covered before and my apologies if I missed it, but the differences in the construction methods between the Ford class and Queen Elizabeth class either built in one place or assembled together in one place are there any cost advantages in this , and pros and cons
    I would have thought it would be much more efficient to build the entire ship in one yard which is what Newport News does. However, they have the requisite capacity and a steady carrier construction work stream to justify the needed infrastructure, facilities and work force. In the UK's case the QE class carriers are a one off in construction terms. Given that Rosyth doesn't have the construction facilities or workforce to build all parts of the ship in their yard without extending the build length to an unacceptable duration what is being done makes best use of country wide shipbuilding capacity in order to deliver the ships as quickly as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Naval Oldie View Post
    I would have thought it would be much more efficient to build the entire ship in one yard which is what Newport News does. However, they have the requisite capacity and a steady carrier construction work stream to justify the needed infrastructure, facilities and work force. In the UK's case the QE class carriers are a one off in construction terms. Given that Rosyth doesn't have the construction facilities or workforce to build all parts of the ship in their yard without extending the build length to an unacceptable duration what is being done makes best use of country wide shipbuilding capacity in order to deliver the ships as quickly as possible.
    It would be interesting to know what the cost of the QE class would of been if the capacity and capability of the yard to build it from the ground upwas present instead of in segments and even of the time taken to build the ships

Wasn't the one yard build a large part of the de Gaulles's early issues as the local industry struggled to support it and that is a considerably smaller ship.

Quote Originally Posted by seaspear View Post
    It would be interesting to know what the cost of the QE class would of been if the capacity and capability of the yard to build it from the ground upwas present instead of in segments and even of the time taken to build the ships
    Might have cost more, a facility the size needed for the QE class wouldn't be cheap at least this way we made the most of the existing ship yards.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdam1 View Post
    Might have cost more, a facility the size needed for the QE class wouldn't be cheap at least this way we made the most of the existing ship yards.
    Im sure there was some cost analysis of the various options ,Im just curious as if it had been published on the descision making on how it was to be built