Page 1569 of 1569 FirstFirst ... 5691069146915191559156115621563156415651566156715681569
Results 23,521 to 23,535 of 23535

Thread: Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by -Eddie- View Post
    Love it!!! Nice shout out from the programme!

Quote Originally Posted by Bazza123 View Post
    Thanks Wizz. Just to confirm - is CB 03 there in Rosyth now?
    Should be. They left by barge from A&P on 24th so they have probably arrived and been offloaded in Rosyth by now.

Another photo of LB02 leaving Portsmouth - courtesy of @portsairfest via Twitter

So today sees the end of an era with Lusty being decommissioned:

http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and...akes-final-bow

Let's hope she's saved from the scrappers (although I am feeling rather pessimistic that she'll ever end up as a museum ship).

Quote Originally Posted by SKB View Post
    Sorry, I meant the two time-lapse videos. Sadly, both Camera 1 and Camera 2 videos end at the time when the ski-jump ramp was being fitted and before the ship was fully painted and floated out. A shame really, after all that time.

Rosyth Time-Lapse Assembly Videos: http://www.qecassembly.co.uk/
    eh, i was talking about the time lapse, go near the end and you can watch lusty arrive and leave and then QNLZ floated out and moved to her new berth ?

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff_B View Post
    eh, i was talking about the time lapse, go near the end and you can watch lusty arrive and leave and then QNLZ floated out and moved to her new berth ?
    For me, Video 1 ends at 21:24 and Video 2 ends at 25:21, just as the ramp is being fitted. Anyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by SKB View Post
    For me, Video 1 ends at 21:24 and Video 2 ends at 25:21, just as the ramp is being fitted. Anyone else?
    Geoff, I have to concur. The videos end at 21:24 and 25:22 respectively. Are you accessing these timelapse videos on another page on the ACA site? Or are you using a different browser (other than IE or Chrome)? This is all rather confusing.

I'm not sure this was posted previously but Ian Booth's blog was updated on 20th August - it can be found here:
    http://www.aircraftcarrieralliance.c...stcontent.aspx

Ian Booth ACA Managing Director's August Blog.

"I have to start by saying how proud I am of what we have accomplished on the programme in the last two months. The amount of work we have achieved from the official naming ceremony of HMS Queen Elizabeth, floating her out to her new position at J/K berth, and the arrival of the first major blocks for HMS Prince of Wales is no mean feat, and really shows what dedicated hard working people we have in our teams.

We all need to take time every now and then to sit back, reflect and remind ourselves that we are constructing the UK’s biggest ever warships for the Royal Navy, and it is only since she has taken to the water that we have all been overwhelmed by her sheer size and what a magnificent looking ship she is! She was definitely sheltered by the dry dock which has been her home for the last three years.

Since HMS Queen Elizabeth has moved, there is a real sense of pride and momentum in the programme to push forward with both ships. The focus is now on completing the outfit, integration, commissioning and test. This phase will include installation of the remaining external fittings and finishing’s, including catwalks, deck coating and landing lights. Internal equipment including her combat system, navigation and flight control equipment will also be installed.

Large sections of the second ship (Prince of Wales) have been delivered and are positioned around the Rosyth yard eagerly waiting to be assembled, and I have to say, I am looking forward to seeing huge sections of ship inside the dry dock again - the view outside my office has been a bit empty since float out of HMS Queen Elizabeth!

Assembly for Prince of Wales will commence in September starting with LB02 (the final section to be built in Portsmouth) joining LB03, constructed in Govan. These two gigantic sections will be floated off their transportation barges and manouvered from inside the wet basin into the dock in close succession. The dock will then be drained and the assembly process begins. The lift programme will commence near the end of September with the first of the flight deck sections, CB03 rings A and B, being lifted by the Goliath crane into position, other sections of the ship will quickly follow. I look forward to seeing Prince of Wales take shape and know that by Christmas time, there will certainly be a different view outside my office window.

The Queen Elizabeth Class programme truly reflects the very best of British design and ingenuity, and with HMS Queen Elizabeth now in her final outfitting position in the wet basin, we have a giant floating advertisement for the high calibre of Britain’s manufacturing and industrial base."

MOD news piece on measuring QE's centre of gravity and weight. https://www.gov.uk/government/news/h...000-tonne-ship

CB03 blocks have indeed arrived in the basin. Hugh Clarke on Facebook posted the photo showing that CB03 blocks for HMS Prince of Wales have arrived. Seen via QE Facebook page https://scontent-b-vie.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/10574407_10152683989246118_2399874020684949938_n.jpg?oh=9a2e63662b88614c441561ba9cab5b32&oe=546B4081 …

Quote Originally Posted by Wizz View Post
    Geoff, I have to concur. The videos end at 21:24 and 25:22 respectively. Are you accessing these timelapse videos on another page on the ACA site? Or are you using a different browser (other than IE or Chrome)? This is all rather confusing.
    http://lobstervision.s3.amazonaws.co...bcock_one.webm

The two timelapse cameras at Rosyth on the link SKB provided only run for just shy of 2 minutes and are compossed of these stills

http://www.qecassembly.co.uk/weekly_picture/camera_one

http://www.qecassembly.co.uk/weekly_picture/camera_two

These both go to the 11th Aug 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff_B View Post
    The two timelapse cameras at Rosyth on the link SKB provided only run for just shy of 2 minute....
    No. They run for 21 and 25 minutes respectively. I think you might need to run CCleaner (or an equivalent) to clean/refresh your browser cache, then play the videos again.

Quote Originally Posted by Liger30 View Post
    CB03 blocks have indeed arrived in the basin. Hugh Clarke on Facebook posted the photo showing that CB03 blocks for HMS Prince of Wales have arrived. Seen via QE Facebook page https://scontent-b-vie.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/10574407_10152683989246118_2399874020684949938_n.jpg?oh=9a2e63662b88614c441561ba9cab5b32&oe=546B4081 …

PoW's LB03 pictured near the basin wall btween the subs and QE.
    I count 8 of the 9 CB blocks delivered so far in this photo. 5 on the barge with 3 on the dock and a 4th one not pictured.
    And PoW's LB02 on the way too. Very busy time ahead
    Last edited by SKB; 15 Hours Ago at 02:23 PM.

reading the info i thought qe class was nearly 4 acres flight deck area and nimitz class was about 4.5 acres but not according to mod website ,any clues whos right folks ?

I think you might be asking the wrong question. The better one would be, "How much of the flight deck is 'usable?'" In that respect, Queen Elizabeth may well be the equal of Nimitz. However, one wonders how much otherwise useful space is lost to the ski jump? I don't have an actual figure the Gerald R. Ford-class, but I've done some quick and dirty estimates based on the drawings available, and I make her flight deck at better than five acres of usable space.

thanks for the explanation kinda makes sense,much obliged to you sir