Thread: Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion

  1. #2086

    Default

    Id say we need an aircraft with the interoperability and surveillance capabilities which equal the yanks the E-2 is unsurpassable.(thanks for the link there jonas)

  2. #2087
    Senior Member welshmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Coalmine
    Age
    38
    Posts
    2,117

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jonas View Post
    The following link builds on 'Naval Oldie's' previous post. Yes I know they have posted pics of STOVL carriers.

    http://navaltoday.com/2012/02/02/uk-...ture-carriers/
    nice link mate.
    love this qoute:“It’s hoped that harbour users and local residents will understand the relatively short-term inconvenience of the rig" i know he got to say it,but i dont think the locals wont be too pissed off.

    cracking thread followed it for ages.

  3. #2088
    Faulty Charisma Chip
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,520

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by uk supercarrier View Post
    Id say we need an aircraft with the interoperability and surveillance capabilities which equal the yanks the E-2 is unsurpassable.(thanks for the link there jonas)

    Agreed the latest Hawkeye is at the top of its game,fact is that we probably could not afford it as its cost is eye watering.
    Perhaps a few older ex US models would be within our budget,and would no doubt do us very nicely. Here's hoping.

    The fact is the question asked of Peter Luff was in regards to a replacement for the Nimrod MRA4 which was scrapped leaving us with no long range maritime patrol capability. This is not a job Hawkeye is designed for or can do.

    The stupidy of it is that only a few months after MRA4 was scrapped with indecent haste,a committee was set up in the MOD headed by the RN to look into the replacement for it. It is obvious that they realised what a horrendous mistake they had made.

    What has now transpired is that instead of the duty SSBN being able to leave Faslane,with the knowledge gleaned by Nimrod as to the whereabouts of any Russian SSN waiting to trail her,they now sail blind relying on their own sensors to pick up these vessels.

    The rumour since MRA4 was scrapped is that the US P8 Poseidon is favourite,at a reported cost of 1bn for 5 aircraft.

    Whether this comes to fruition in the current economic climate is anyones guess.

  4. #2089
    How's that Hopey Changey thing workin'? C.Puffs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Leading maxima10 around by the nose.
    Posts
    23,324

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jonas View Post
    Agreed the latest Hawkeye is at the top of its game,fact is that we probably could not afford it as its cost is eye watering.
    Perhaps a few older ex US models would be within our budget,and would no doubt do us very nicely. Here's hoping.

    The fact is the question asked of Peter Luff was in regards to a replacement for the Nimrod MRA4 which was scrapped leaving us with no long range maritime patrol capability. This is not a job Hawkeye is designed for or can do.

    The stupidy of it is that only a few months after MRA4 was scrapped with indecent haste,a committee was set up in the MOD headed by the RN to look into the replacement for it. It is obvious that they realised what a horrendous mistake they had made.

    What has now transpired is that instead of the duty SSBN being able to leave Faslane,with the knowledge gleaned by Nimrod as to the whereabouts of any Russian SSN waiting to trail her,they now sail blind relying on their own sensors to pick up these vessels.

    The rumour since MRA4 was scrapped is that the US P8 Poseidon is favourite,at a reported cost of 1bn for 5 aircraft.

    Whether this comes to fruition in the current economic climate is anyones guess.
    Too bad the USN got rid of the S-3 Vikings.

  5. #2090
    Senior Member CarrierFan2006's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The far side of the moon...
    Posts
    1,319

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by USS Alabama View Post
    OT But relevant in a bigger operational picture of why Britain needs these carriers.

    http://defensetech.org/2012/01/31/br...-to-falklands/

    Best!
    Thanks for this Bama. Interesting reading some of the comments at the bottom of the article.

    I was having the "Oil wars" conversation with someone the other day. I actually think that we should be fighting for oil. Lets face it, if we weren't, like some of our "allies" won't, we'd be paying $5000 per barrel and inflation, our economy and pretty much everything else which we rely on would be in a flat spin to its demise. It strikes me as naive to think we won't fight to protect our interests. Until something better comes along, we have to protect our oil interests. Otherwise, all those environmentalists and anti-war protesters couldn't drive to their next protests!!

    Another comment I have heard is "Why us?" (meaning the UK / US alliance)". Why should Britain continue to be a world Policeman and "Punching above our weight". Again, it is in our interest to keep a place at the top table, with the big boys and their big, nuclear weapons. If we don't then someone else dictates our lives to us. We have a liberal democracy, and if we are in a position to influence the world to the greater good, then we should damned well do so. Otherwise Argentina would be imposing its will upon those in the Falklands, and Iran would be running amok.

  6. #2091

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CarrierFan2006 View Post
    Thanks for this Bama. Interesting reading some of the comments at the bottom of the article.

    I was having the "Oil wars" conversation with someone the other day. I actually think that we should be fighting for oil. Lets face it, if we weren't, like some of our "allies" won't, we'd be paying $5000 per barrel and inflation, our economy and pretty much everything else which we rely on would be in a flat spin to its demise. It strikes me as naive to think we won't fight to protect our interests. Until something better comes along, we have to protect our oil interests. Otherwise, all those environmentalists and anti-war protesters couldn't drive to their next protests!!

    Another comment I have heard is "Why us?" (meaning the UK / US alliance)". Why should Britain continue to be a world Policeman and "Punching above our weight". Again, it is in our interest to keep a place at the top table, with the big boys and their big, nuclear weapons. If we don't then someone else dictates our lives to us. We have a liberal democracy, and if we are in a position to influence the world to the greater good, then we should damned well do so. Otherwise Argentina would be imposing its will upon those in the Falklands, and Iran would be running amok.
    I couldn't have put it better myself! I would be more likely to vote for any party that actually set out so clearly why we should continue to field an expeditionary military capability...

  7. #2092
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    297

    Default

    The link below is a paper from the USN describing in very precise detail how the UK took the lead in modern carrier design. It is very complimentary towards RN/UK inovation at the time and well worth a read.

    [*******#417394]http://www.usnwc.edu/getattachment/a...ircraft-Carrie[/COLOR]
    CJ

    CJ:

    Very interesting read for me as my father served aboard HMS WARRIOR in the 1950s, which had been refitted with the angled deck. My uncle served on HMS ARK ROYAL which was the first RN ship built with an angled flight deck. He was also very familiar with the mirror deck landing aid.

    Also interesting as the subjects of this thread will now be fitted with angled decks and a 21st century version of the catapults. I am not exactly clear on what the landing aid system will look like but it is obviously an improvement on the old mirror system.

    So will we see the final sponson fit for SB03 next week? That will be a milestone of sorts as it marks the completion of the heavy lifting work for Assembly Cycle A.

  8. #2093
    Senior Member SDL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Brentwood, England
    Posts
    3,674

    Default

    i would guess the final lift depends on the weather.... if the snow that's hitting us atm hits up there, then i can see them having to hold off.....

  9. #2094
    Senior Member cockneyjock1974's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Pub
    Posts
    2,306

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magnificent View Post
    CJ:

    Very interesting read for me as my father served aboard HMS WARRIOR in the 1950s, which had been refitted with the angled deck. My uncle served on HMS ARK ROYAL which was the first RN ship built with an angled flight deck. He was also very familiar with the mirror deck landing aid.

    Also interesting as the subjects of this thread will now be fitted with angled decks and a 21st century version of the catapults. I am not exactly clear on what the landing aid system will look like but it is obviously an improvement on the old mirror system.

    So will we see the final sponson fit for SB03 next week? That will be a milestone of sorts as it marks the completion of the heavy lifting work for Assembly Cycle A.
    Glad you enjoyed it magnificent and yes the reason why I posted it was because I was trying to get a feel for how long it takes to convert straight decked carriers to an angled deck. Obviously a very different ship building industry then as opossed to now but i would imagine we could convert QE in much less than 5 years IMO

    [QUOTE=SDL;6013204]i would guess the final lift depends on the weather.... if the snow that's hitting us atm hits up there, then i can see them having to hold off.....[/QUOTE

    Believe it or not there is no snow here, I think it missed eastern Scotland altogether, however they might have held off just in case.

    Im hoping for next week at some point, I'm off Monday/Tuesday so will be keeping tabs.

    CJ

  10. #2095
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    2,963

    Default

    would sugest some of you need to look at MoD's helecopter plans for Merlin AEW!

  11. #2096
    Faulty Charisma Chip
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,520

    Default

    I missed this one in last weeks Parliamentary sessions,very interesting:-

    Lord West of Spithead (Labour)
    To ask Her Majesty’s Government whether there are plans to ensure future refitting and maintenance work on the new aircraft carriers can be conducted in English, Welsh and Northern Irish yards, and to ensure that the Valiant Jetty can easily be moved to Devonport or a similar deep water port such as Milford Haven.
    Answer

    Lord Astor of Hever (Parliamentary Under Secretary of State, Defence; Conservative)
    As part of work to develop a support solution for the Queen Elizabeth class carriers, a number of locations are currently being assessed. We expect an initial decision to be taken around the middle of this decade.
    The Ministry of Defence has not undertaken any work on how easy it would be to relocate the Valiant Jetty.

  12. #2097
    Faulty Charisma Chip
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,520

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marktigger View Post
    would sugest some of you need to look at MoD's helecopter plans for Merlin AEW!
    If you are making reference to my post re Hawkeye,I am fully aware of the 'proposed' plans for a Merlin AEW solution.

    The fact remains that Hawkeye would be a better option (if we could afford it)

  13. #2098
    Senior Member SDL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Brentwood, England
    Posts
    3,674

    Default

    Valiant Jetty?

  14. #2099
    Faulty Charisma Chip
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,520

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SDL View Post
    Valiant Jetty?
    It's a new floating jetty built specificly for the Astute class boats, little link for you here:-

    http://www.dynamiq-eng.co.uk/pages/news.php?article=13

  15. #2100
    Senior Member SDL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Brentwood, England
    Posts
    3,674

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jonas View Post
    It's a new floating jetty built specificly for the Astute class boats, little link for you here:-

    http://www.dynamiq-eng.co.uk/pages/news.php?article=13
    Ah, Thanks

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •