Thread: Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by CarrierFan2006 View Post
    Thanks for this Bama. Interesting reading some of the comments at the bottom of the article.

I was having the "Oil wars" conversation with someone the other day. I actually think that we should be fighting for oil. Lets face it, if we weren't, like some of our "allies" won't, we'd be paying $5000 per barrel and inflation, our economy and pretty much everything else which we rely on would be in a flat spin to its demise. It strikes me as naive to think we won't fight to protect our interests. Until something better comes along, we have to protect our oil interests. Otherwise, all those environmentalists and anti-war protesters couldn't drive to their next protests!!

Another comment I have heard is "Why us?" (meaning the UK / US alliance)". Why should Britain continue to be a world Policeman and "Punching above our weight". Again, it is in our interest to keep a place at the top table, with the big boys and their big, nuclear weapons. If we don't then someone else dictates our lives to us. We have a liberal democracy, and if we are in a position to influence the world to the greater good, then we should damned well do so. Otherwise Argentina would be imposing its will upon those in the Falklands, and Iran would be running amok.
    I couldn't have put it better myself! I would be more likely to vote for any party that actually set out so clearly why we should continue to field an expeditionary military capability...

The link below is a paper from the USN describing in very precise detail how the UK took the lead in modern carrier design. It is very complimentary towards RN/UK inovation at the time and well worth a read.

[*******#417394]http://www.usnwc.edu/getattachment/a...ircraft-Carrie[/COLOR]
    CJ

CJ:

Very interesting read for me as my father served aboard HMS WARRIOR in the 1950s, which had been refitted with the angled deck. My uncle served on HMS ARK ROYAL which was the first RN ship built with an angled flight deck. He was also very familiar with the mirror deck landing aid.

Also interesting as the subjects of this thread will now be fitted with angled decks and a 21st century version of the catapults. I am not exactly clear on what the landing aid system will look like but it is obviously an improvement on the old mirror system.

So will we see the final sponson fit for SB03 next week? That will be a milestone of sorts as it marks the completion of the heavy lifting work for Assembly Cycle A.

i would guess the final lift depends on the weather.... if the snow that's hitting us atm hits up there, then i can see them having to hold off.....

Quote Originally Posted by Magnificent View Post
    CJ:

Very interesting read for me as my father served aboard HMS WARRIOR in the 1950s, which had been refitted with the angled deck. My uncle served on HMS ARK ROYAL which was the first RN ship built with an angled flight deck. He was also very familiar with the mirror deck landing aid.

Also interesting as the subjects of this thread will now be fitted with angled decks and a 21st century version of the catapults. I am not exactly clear on what the landing aid system will look like but it is obviously an improvement on the old mirror system.

So will we see the final sponson fit for SB03 next week? That will be a milestone of sorts as it marks the completion of the heavy lifting work for Assembly Cycle A.
    Glad you enjoyed it magnificent and yes the reason why I posted it was because I was trying to get a feel for how long it takes to convert straight decked carriers to an angled deck. Obviously a very different ship building industry then as opossed to now but i would imagine we could convert QE in much less than 5 years IMO

[QUOTE=SDL;6013204]i would guess the final lift depends on the weather.... if the snow that's hitting us atm hits up there, then i can see them having to hold off.....[/QUOTE

Believe it or not there is no snow here, I think it missed eastern Scotland altogether, however they might have held off just in case.

Im hoping for next week at some point, I'm off Monday/Tuesday so will be keeping tabs.

CJ

would sugest some of you need to look at MoD's helecopter plans for Merlin AEW!

Faulty Charisma Chip

I missed this one in last weeks Parliamentary sessions,very interesting:-

Lord West of Spithead (Labour)
    To ask Her Majesty’s Government whether there are plans to ensure future refitting and maintenance work on the new aircraft carriers can be conducted in English, Welsh and Northern Irish yards, and to ensure that the Valiant Jetty can easily be moved to Devonport or a similar deep water port such as Milford Haven.
    Answer

Lord Astor of Hever (Parliamentary Under Secretary of State, Defence; Conservative)
    As part of work to develop a support solution for the Queen Elizabeth class carriers, a number of locations are currently being assessed. We expect an initial decision to be taken around the middle of this decade.
    The Ministry of Defence has not undertaken any work on how easy it would be to relocate the Valiant Jetty.

Faulty Charisma Chip

Quote Originally Posted by marktigger View Post
    would sugest some of you need to look at MoD's helecopter plans for Merlin AEW!
    If you are making reference to my post re Hawkeye,I am fully aware of the 'proposed' plans for a Merlin AEW solution.

The fact remains that Hawkeye would be a better option (if we could afford it)

Valiant Jetty?

Faulty Charisma Chip

Quote Originally Posted by SDL View Post
    Valiant Jetty?
    It's a new floating jetty built specificly for the Astute class boats, little link for you here:-

http://www.dynamiq-eng.co.uk/pages/news.php?article=13

Quote Originally Posted by jonas View Post
    It's a new floating jetty built specificly for the Astute class boats, little link for you here:-

http://www.dynamiq-eng.co.uk/pages/news.php?article=13
    Ah, Thanks

Hi guys!
    Finaly decided to join the site after following this thread for sometime.
    Looking forward to the next few months with the progress on the carriers looking good.

Default Sponson Lift

Hi folks the last one is going on as I write, unfortunately it's quite foggy so pics will be varied in quality. @Pymes time to throw our crystal balls away lol

Whilst considering Buddy stores, I came across this rather interesting photo of "Buddy" store replenishment from the 1950s! An RAF Vickers Valiant refuelling from an RN Sea Vixen! I don't imagine that they were doing a Bolter replenishment!

Image by courtesy of http://www.naval-history.net/WXMemoirHamilton.htm

The Island is fairly coming on!

Attachments Pending Approval Attachments Pending Approval

Sorry Cockneyjock, but once again i can't work out what's going on in that image....