Thread: Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion

I hope that the bit about the "C" model being ahead of schedule is true as well.
    I think there is no doubt on this: this is official DoD documents, by far the best source we can drink from.
    You must, of course, look at the 32% ahead of schedule data with the awareness that the C is the variant who entered trials last. The other two variants are ahead of the F35C with their programs of development, testing and validation.
    However, they are lagging considerably in terms of test points cleared, while the F35C has cleared 32% more test points than planned, which is very reassuring. Having started later also means that more corrections have been incorporated into the C at build, thanks to discoveries made on the other two variants.
    The C variant has 1002 test flights left to go, and 12.442 test points to clear.
    The A 827 flights and 10257 test points.
    The B 1,437 flights and 15,045 points.

These values of course change rather frequently when a change proves necessary and needs to be flown and trialed, adding new flights and points to clear to the count, but they are indicative of the current plan.

The C's big issues come down to the hook (hopefully to be solved in the coming months by the new hook design) and to acceleration which is a bit below the expected value. We must hope that no problems emerge from durability tests: the F35A's wing root life is just 3000-some hours and the F35B main bulkhead survived 2000 hours against a requirement of 8000...

Here are a couple of photos that I took of LB04 yesterday
    sorry about the quality as I took them on my phone
    Attachments Pending Approval Attachments Pending Approval

Well spotted CJ. I enjoyed watching the Launch and Recover training film which underlines the complexity of the machinery and controls to facilitate catapult launches and arrestor wire recoveries. Hopefully that fitted in the QE Class carriers (when we get the final go ahead) will be a good deal less manpower intensive with the catapult controlled from the launch control position and the arrester wires from Flyco or the LCO's position.

Banned user

Quote Originally Posted by Liger30 View Post
    The C's big issues come down to the hook (hopefully to be solved in the coming months by the new hook design) and to acceleration which is a bit below the expected value. We must hope that no problems emerge from durability tests: the F35A's wing root life is just 3000-some hours and the F35B main bulkhead survived 2000 hours against a requirement of 8000...
    That would be our fault, sorry

[*******#222222]"For the F-35 Lightning II JSF Fokker Landing Gear is system design responsible for the Arresting Hook of the F35 Conventional Take Off and Landing (CTOL) and the Carrier Version (CV). For the reliability of this arresting hook system Fokker needs to do climate testing. One of the parts of the arresting hook system is the Upswing Damper. It is mounted right under the engine of the F-35. This Upswing Damper adsorbs the energy during the landing from the hook."[/COLOR]

Cheers Naval found it by accident whilst looking for other things, I liked the bit where little wings tells the flight deck engineer to stop *****ing lol. Can you imagine that in a RN vid today, you'd probably get sued sideways.

found this vid on youtube showing ops on old ark royal

Good find Danim. For all the discussion over which F35 variant RN should have, I'd be happy to have the Ark's old air group for now! Classy aircraft. And airframe numbers matter-whilst I'd prefer CATOBAR, I'd be happy with a big deck for 24 Dave B's plus helos.

Should we find out about pr12 on tuesday ?

The Times are going to have a story on their front page tomorrow about military Chiefs wanting a retreat over the Jets.... Can't read the text on the Sky News Twitter image of the front page to work out what they mean exactly.....

This may help...

[*******#000000][FONT=Times New Roman]It is understood that the Chief of Defence Materiel (CDM), the Defence Equipment and Support (DE&S) department and DCDS CAP AVM Hillier,[/FONT][/COLOR][*******#000000][FONT=Times New Roman] have now tried to persuade the Secretary of State to change course once again by reverting to the much less capable F-35B STOVL aircraft
    [/FONT][/COLOR][*******#000000][FONT=Georgia]
    Angled Deck’ or ‘Ramp’ for our Queen Elizabeth class Carriers.

[/FONT][/COLOR]http://www.phoenixthinktank.org/2012...arriers/#_ftn4

SDL, basically it says we are going to try to go back to the F-35B, once again quoting the 1.8 billion

Cheaper over better then?

It sounds more like someone has feed Cameron a lot of crap about the F-35C, it says things like "Cameron is due to be presented with what officials believe is an over whelming case for the switch back to the B"

here is a video shot by me yesterday to show what will be landing on the decks of the carriers up close and personal
    in the background just behind the trees is where LB04 is and in fact you can just see a section of it in the video

Quote Originally Posted by danim View Post
    here is a video shot by me yesterday to show what will be landing on the decks of the carriers up close and personal
    in the background just behind the trees is where LB04 is and in fact you can just see a section of it in the video

Nice vid mate, as long as thats not the only aircraft type that will be landing on our decks.