Thread: Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion

I guess it concludes the construction of parts in the city for the QE....

Banned user

so around november will we get pics of the ship in 1 big piece?

In November we are really going to see some sight, most of the HMS QE should be there in the dry dock or round about it

Makes you think what sort of ship you could build if money was not an object....

Quote Originally Posted by imperialman View Post
    Was that in Govan? I was there yesterday and heard a very loud helicopter type noise but couldn't see anything.
    yes it was, if you have a look here http://www.flickr.com/photos/danim007/6937955154/ you can see the location. Just behind the trees is the BAE Govan shipyard

Yesterday the same helicopter was photographed at Prestwick Airport

I sincerely hope this is just the usual nonsense from the DM but...

[SIZE=3][LEFT][*******#000000][FONT=Arial]EXCLUSIVE: Cameron in humiliating u-turn on future of Britain's aircraft carriers with return of the jump jet[/FONT][/COLOR][/LEFT]
    [/SIZE][SIZE=5][LEFT][/LEFT]
    [/SIZE][LEFT][*******#000000][FONT=Arial]
    [/FONT][/COLOR]http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...=feeds-newsxml[/LEFT]

Quote Originally Posted by danim View Post
    yes it was, if you have a look here http://www.flickr.com/photos/danim007/6937955154/ you can see the location. Just behind the trees is the BAE Govan shipyard

Yesterday the same helicopter was photographed at Prestwick Airport
    Thanks!

[SIZE=3][LEFT][*******#000000][FONT=Arial]EXCLUSIVE: Cameron in humiliating u-turn on future of Britain's aircraft carriers with return of the jump jet[/FONT][/COLOR][/LEFT]
    I just slammed my head full force into the wall next to me.

Please tell me that isn't true.

I suspect that the RN will get 12-18 F35 B's for use from the Ski Jump equipped HMS QUEEN ELIZABETH. This will actually mean the RN gets some fixed wing capability back with the fleet.

The PRICE OF WALES (lol) will complete with electro magnetic catapults and arrestor wires and therefore as a "proper carrier" for cross decking with the cousins, and the British Government may have by then saved up enough spondoolies to purchase 12-18 F35C's for use from her. This would also allow air wings of B's and C's from her and use of the RN F35B's on other decks such as the Italian and Spanish navies and larger flight decks in certain necessary missions.

POW would continue as the main RN carrier whilst QE was in it's first slow time refit, potentially being fitted during that refit with one waist electro magnetic catapult and keeping the ski jump if the F35B had proved a good aircraft.

This seems to be a rewording of the article that was in the times, I think what it means is that someone is going to try and convince cameron to switch back to the B with a lot of fancy accounting and cherry picking the right facts and we will now see if he is going to take the bait.

Quote Originally Posted by albion View Post
    I suspect that the RN will get 12-18 F35 B's for use from the Ski Jump equipped HMS QUEEN ELIZABETH. This will actually mean the RN gets some fixed wing capability back with the fleet.

The PRICE OF WALES (lol) will complete with electro magnetic catapults and arrestor wires and therefore as a "proper carrier" for cross decking with the cousins, and the British Government may have by then saved up enough spondoolies to purchase 12-18 F35C's for use from her. This would also allow air wings of B's and C's from her and use of the RN F35B's on other decks such as the Italian and Spanish navies and larger flight decks in certain necessary missions.

POW would continue as the main RN carrier whilst QE was in it's first slow time refit, potentially being fitted during that refit with one waist electro magnetic catapult and keeping the ski jump if the F35B had proved a good aircraft.
    This would be my preferred option as well (minus the joint catobar/ski jump soloution), it means getting carrier aircraft in place before POW comes online. However the SDSR stated only one type of aircraft will be purchased. Saying that a lot has changed already since then and no doubt will be changed again.

Just had a quick look through the Public Accounts committees report on the 'Management of the Typhoon Project'
    (http://www.publications.parliament.u.../860/86002.htm)

It reveals that the overall programme has increased in cost by 3.5 billion, from 16.7b to 20.2b, even with the reduction in airframes from 232 to 160. Or as the report so wonderfully puts it,
    'This is equivalent to the purchase cost of each aircraft rising by 75%, from 72 million to 126 million.'

Makes the F-35 seem not so bad after all.

they quote 'Sources' as their proof..... which is news-speak for making whatever cr*p they want up....

I'll wait till the official announcement (whenever that is) TBH.

I also like the sound of Albion's idea...

A Russian getting his education on in Vancouver, Canada

The problem with Albion's idea is that it's reasonable and intelligent, and since when have government purchases/programs ever been characterized by those words :P