Thread: Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by gagetman100 View Post
    I saw that, but light travels in straght lines and what if there is a small vessel over the horizon, the laser is usless
    And possibly as easily defeated as daleks ........ mirror anyone?

never mind...

O/T
    Last edited by Arfah; 04-11-2013 at 12:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gagetman100 View Post
    I saw that, but light travels in straght lines and what if there is a small vessel over the horizon, the laser is usless
    Not quite sure how we've ended up on the topic of "frickin' lasers...", but that's a bit of a silly and naive comment, gadget. At deck-level, you're talking about a horizon in excess of 11nm. For a 'munition' travelling at the speed of light, that's more than enough reaction time against an incoming threat, particularly as that threat will itself be above sea level. The possibility for laser weapons is very interesting, but is still firmly in realm of fantasy fleets for now.

Quote Originally Posted by happyslapper View Post
    Not quite sure how we've ended up on the topic of "frickin' lasers...", but that's a bit of a silly and naive comment, gadget. At deck-level, you're talking about a horizon in excess of 11nm. For a 'munition' travelling at the speed of light, that's more than enough reaction time against an incoming threat, particularly as that threat will itself be above sea level. The possibility for laser weapons is very interesting, but is still firmly in realm of fantasy fleets for now.
    Maybe a little excessive, distance to horizon is 3.57 times the square root of the height above sea level, so unless the deck is 31m above sea level, 11nm is a stretch. At sea level the horizon is only 3-4 miles away.

Quote Originally Posted by Messiah UKF View Post
    Maybe a little excessive, distance to horizon is 3.57 times the square root of the height above sea level, so unless the deck is 31m above sea level, 11nm is a stretch. At sea level the horizon is only 3-4 miles away.
    I'll be honest, I had forgotten the formula and the exact waterline-to-deck height of QE, so took a stab. I suspect it's not far off. That said, it doesn't particularly matter in the context of light-speed defensive weapons.

I'll be honest, I had forgotten the formula and the exact waterline-to-deck height of QE, so took a stab. I suspect it's not far off. That said, it doesn't particularly matter in the context of light-speed defensive weapons.
    Agreed, just doffing my nerd cap this evening.

How's that Hopey Changey thing workin'? C.Puffs's Avatar

At mach 2.5 or so and 3-4 miles distance before you start shooting it's going to be burn-through time that's going to get you.

Quote Originally Posted by C.Puffs View Post
    At mach 2.5 or so and 3-4 miles distance before you start shooting it's going to be burn-through time that's going to get you.
    Very true.

Quote Originally Posted by Messiah UKF View Post
    Agreed, just doffing my nerd cap this evening.
    It is very nerdy...!

Interesting article about the simulators the crew are being trained on to operate the carriers.

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2013/04/an-...-supercarrier/

Quote Originally Posted by wolf321 View Post
    Interesting article about the simulators the crew are being trained on to operate the carriers.

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2013/04/an-...-supercarrier/
    Shame it had to be pitched at the level of the lobotomised...

Quote Originally Posted by cyrilranch View Post
    There is no M-22 only MV-22 for the Marines and CV-22 for the Air Force
    Yeap as the V stands for Vertical as used in the AV-8B.

Anyway the interesting factor which may need to be taken into account for Crowsnest is what the USN do about this :-
    http://www.flightglobal.com/news/art...cement-384445/

If the USN decides to go for the V-22 solution over the Greyhound then i suspect the UK would give it serious consideration as a possible Utility/AEW platform, should the USN go with the revamped Greyhound then they will stick with the Merlin as a platform.

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Dave View Post
    There is one to Crombie, One to Rosyth and FOUR to Leith.

I can confirm its NOT John Prescott OR LUSTY LOL
    You sure its not Lusty? I see from AIS that she is just off Dundee in the North Sea along with HMS Bulwark and a Dutch naval vessel. Or were you referring to Bulwark?