Thread: Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by SKB View Post
    My Response.

I created a 3D model of QE in December 2012, I did not make it specifically for anyone else, it was a hobby project to see if I could do a 3d version of my Assembly Diagram for myself. I built it and posted some images here for people to look at.

Until recently, I had forgotten about and neglected to continue the model until gadgetman100 recently reminded me of it. I posted an image of the model and he asked me for permission to use the image to which I said no, and then I suggested to him that Suricata was far more able to make a higher quality model than I ever could.

Then as the model had been brought to my attention again, I decided to to try to rebuild the island to make it look more realistic than how it had been. After the rebuild was completed and I was feeling pleased with my effort, I posted a new image of my edit to show to the people here how it had been improved. Once again, I was asked for permission to use the image. I said no.

Despite that, someone unknown to me copied the image and posted it on Facebook without my permission. I only discovered this whole Facebook incident when I read about it here, [*******#ff0000]after someone else had spotted the image on Facebook and after someone else got it removed.[/COLOR]I had NOTHING to do with its removal. And yes, I would not have been pleased to find my image there, so thanks to the person who discovered it there and to the person who got it removed.

So stop with the accusations and negative slurs which I feel are being directed at me. This Facebook incident had nothing to do with me. All I'm guilty of is posting MY images here.

Now can we get back to talking and discussing about the ship please?
    I should admit it was me who saw the image up on the War Machine Facebook page, and knowing that SKB had only given permission for the image to be shown here, I did speak to the page runner. When they started talking about the GUY who had passed it over as HIS own work, I knew then that something was a miss... I should add that the moment the page runner found out there might be a plagiarism issue with the image, he removed it... Though had I known just how big it was going to blow up on FB, I would have handled things differently....

Looking forward to the time lapse updates later tonight..

Knickers all in bunches...I hope they're the loving kind.

Quote Originally Posted by EliteF22 View Post
    Gadgetman you can use my model if you want and I don't care what you do with it. Attachment 199078
    Thank you

Attachment 199055[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the photos.

The sponsons on the left.

I guess that the one nearest to us in Sp07. I guess this as it has a solid side: for the aircraft lift and it is shorter than the rest: as the bottom is already attached to the ship ready for the GTA.

The other two I presume are the forward and aft sections of Sp08.

What I find interesting about the sponsons is that they have little temporary huts on top of them. Given that they are still there, does this mean that the lifting of any of the structures is not imminent? I notice the lift, or what people guessed to be the lift from the flickr aerial photo, is still where it was with all its guards.

Does anyone have knowledge on when we might expect the delivery of the GTA and the lift of SP07 upper and when SP08 sections will be lifted?

Which bit will come first, SP07 or SP08.

I think its SP09 and 11 that are next to the Babcock shed and your right with the welding tents still on top of them they are going nowhere soon, the one next to them could be the top of SP07 and that will not be going anywhere till the GTA is installed. It should be SP08 or part of it any way that’s lifted next (or has been lifted).

@ kevin_bolton15

I'd say SP08 would be lifted sooner than SP07 Upper. Because to lift SP07 Upper, you need the aft GTA to be fitted to SP07 Lower. Which is as far as I know, hasn't. And as you'll have noticed from the aerial/helicopter photo of QE, you'll see yellow support brackets waiting on the dockside underneath where SP08 would go.

As for SP08, I'm still uncertain that its one long single block or two smaller aft/fwd blocks. But I would go with the latter pair for weight and mass issues. SP08 as a single block would measure half the length of LB04!!!
    The ACA cgi assembly video is notorious for being inaccurate and shows paired blocks as single blocks (see SP06 and SP02!) and has an assembly cycle different to real life.

Incidently, the series of blue huts you see on top of the flightdeck and sponsons actually house a track inside them on the deck. On the track, a robotic welder zips back and forth across the deck doing long continuous welds. The huts are there to give the weld-bots some protection from the climate.
    Last edited by SKB; 04-07-2013 at 11:25 AM.

Thanks Jdam1.

I was just about to say that I noticed from the flickr aerial shot that the supports for SP08 are already in place and so its move must be imminent or has already taken place.

I notice the walkways onto the aft of the ship are still in position too, so there is another reason to not expect Sponsons 08 or 09 to be lifted any time soon.

In regards to SP08, I read on the facebook page that it had been lifted, but I have not seen any other evidence for this.

Looking at last available photo from the ACA page

http://www.qecassembly.co.uk/assets/...1600000719.JPG

it looks as though there are a few sponsons around that are no longer in sight.

Maybe there has been a move around and SP08 is now indeed on the ship.

Enigmatically said that SP08 and SP07 forward would be on the move... My guess is that we'll see SP08 first...

EDIT - as I stated earlier... Tonight's Time Lapse update wil be very interesting....

Moving and lifting are different. You can move a block to a dockside position for a later lift. But a straight lift? SP08 is more likely.
    Last edited by SKB; 04-07-2013 at 11:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin_bolton15 View Post
    Thanks Jdam1.

I was just about to say that I noticed from the flickr aerial shot that the supports for SP08 are already in place and so its move must be imminent or has already taken place.

I notice the walkways onto the aft of the ship are still in position too, so there is another reason to not expect Sponsons 08 or 09 to be lifted any time soon.

Your right about the supports and the walk ways they are a good sign of what’s to be lifted next, which is why I was surprised (happily) when SP07 was to be lifted as well as there doesn’t appear to be much prep work done for it, I assume it’s like the small section of sp01 and will sit on the end of the sponson.

SDL if trends continue you will be waiting till the earlier hours till the update.

As I was saying, there appears to be 4 or 5 sections.

does anyone know where each bit labelled has been moved to, or if they are indeed sponsons? I presume the two or three sections on the side of the shed are still there.
    Attachments Pending Approval Attachments Pending Approval
    Last edited by kevin_bolton15; 04-07-2013 at 12:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SKB View Post
    @ kevin_bolton15

I'd say SP08 would be lifted sooner than SP07 Upper. Because to lift SP07 Upper, you need the aft GTA to be fitted to SP07 Lower. Which is as far as I know, hasn't. And as you'll have noticed from the aerial/helicopter photo of QE, you'll see yellow support brackets waiting on the dockside underneath where SP08 would go.

As for SP08, I'm still uncertain that its one long single block or two smaller aft/fwd blocks. But I would go with the latter pair for weight and mass issues. SP08 as a single block would measure half the length of LB04!!!
    The ACA cgi assembly video is notorious for being inaccurate and shows paired blocks as single blocks (see SP06 and SP02!) and has an assembly cycle different to real life.

Incidently, the series of blue huts you see on top of the flightdeck and sponsons actually house a track inside them on the deck. On the track, a robotic welder zips back and forth across the deck doing long continuous welds. The huts are there to give the weld-bots some protection from the climate.
    Interestingly most of the welding, and it is indeed a track welder is done from the underside. A final top weld completes the stitch

Quote Originally Posted by Jdam1 View Post
    Your right about the supports and the walk ways they are a good sign of what’s to be lifted next, which is why I was surprised (happily) when SP07 was to be lifted as well as there doesn’t appear to be much prep work done for it, I assume it’s like the small section of sp01 and will sit on the end of the sponson.

SDL if trends continue you will be waiting till the earlier hours till the update.
    I'm quite an insomniac these days, so that won't be a problem

I've been trying, unsuccessfully, to post the latest shot from the time lapse video. When I look at it, it looks like there is a big single sponson next to the shed. This would make 2 sponsons with the 2nd sponson been what I presume to be the upper section of SP07 and is visible in Skca54's picture. Could anyone check this for me?

There maybe a visitor to Rosyth next weekend so that you can compare sizes. Im not going to say anymore than that at this stage.