Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Battle of Stalingrad, today battlefield archeology

Illegal just a loaded ordinance and live weapons. All the other is historical artefacts

There are laws regarding the finding of "treasures", but I cant think of a German court defining an rusty steel Helmet or a useless, rusty rifle, found on public ground, as a "treasure".

If you found something on private ground (lets say your neighbours backyard) , thats a completely differend case of the owner finds out and demands the stuff from you.

I gues in Germany is fobidden area is a just Brandenburg. But I personally dont buy/sell the items, I just watching the pictures

Quote Originally Posted by gyptyl View Post
    I gues in Germany is fobidden area is a just Brandenburg. But I personally dont buy/sell the items, I just watching the pictures
    Seriously, what ?! I did not get your first sentence at all ... Brandenburg is a "provice/state" in Germany by the way, but I dont know what you mean with "forbidden areas" ? Military sights and shooting grounds have entering restrictions (like in most countries I suppose ?!?), but military items are found everywhere in the countryside - so that is no problem.

ps. your right pics of artifacts are great and always make you wonder what lies in the forest round the corner ...

The Garlic Fields of Transylvania, Romania.

Quote Originally Posted by Wally1967 View Post
    Is it Legal to dig, take and sell Battlefield stuff in Europe?
    Depends on where its being done, but, if human remains are found they are supposed to notify the Police, there are recorded instances of the bones being thrown away, and the items such as dog-tags being offered for sale.

(as discovery especially during construction work on housing or roadworks etc..etc.. grinds to a halt during the investigation, unscrupulous developers have told workers to remove the remains to another location on site and bury them.)

In Romania the use of metal detectors is very tightly controlled, you require a permit from the Police, a letter of approval from the farmer / land owner, and using such a device in National Parks Archeological sites, around Historic Monuments is strictly prohibited, but it does happen, there is a special Police unit, part of the Jandameria, which stakes out areas and controls people camping or passing through such areas.

I've heard that the Brandenburg area has a special low about the digging in that area. Of cause all the countries has a proper law about the monumental area. But most of the Russian peoples who dig, easily the members of the patriotc units, which is specially fioundation for recover the death soldiers. In other lands peoples who dig just got a permission from Volksbund representative, ( as in Russia too) in that case the Volksbund recieved the soldiers remains, but peoples got items.

YOU CAN NEVER HAVE TOO MUCH RED WINE, TOO MANY BOOKS, OR TOO MUCH AMMUNITION.Rudyard Kipling

Great stuff, thanks for posting

Quote Originally Posted by FREE-FRENCH View Post
    Great stuff, thanks for posting
    You are welcome

Quote Originally Posted by gyptyl View Post
    In Germany it's all depending on the state/district, but it's strictly forbidden to search on WW2 battlefields. (In some cases it's illegal to have a metal detector in your car/bag in such area.)
    Fines can move up to amounts of 1.000 euro and the metal detector will be confiscated. (A friend once got a 600 euro fine and lost his 500 euro detector when searching in the Hürtgenwald.)

In the Netherlands and Belgium it's quite the same, with the areas of 'Market Garden' & 'Battle of the Bulge' being strictly monitored by police and foresters.
    In other areas they'll just send you away (most of the times).

Quote Originally Posted by Sneeuwbaard View Post
    In Germany it's all depending on the state/district, but it's strictly forbidden to search on WW2 battlefields. (In some cases it's illegal to have a metal detector in your car/bag in such area.)
    Fines can move up to amounts of 1.000 euro and the metal detector will be confiscated. (A friend once got a 600 euro fine and lost his 500 euro detector when searching in the Hürtgenwald.)

In the Netherlands and Belgium it's quite the same, with the areas of 'Market Garden' & 'Battle of the Bulge' being strictly monitored by police and foresters.
    In other areas they'll just send you away (most of the times).
    You mean about the Brandenburg area, also in France that is Normandy and Somme
    I've heard that in France the Police horcemans has some detectors which works to the showel voice.

Battlefield Archeology is pretty fascinating.

Some more pics from digs (none of them are mine):
    *Warning* some are graphic

SS Belt buckles

German watchtower still stands in the woods

Helmet that took a direct hit. The skull was still inside it when it was dug up.

Human remains surfacing

German boots found with remains still inside. Soldier wearing them belonged to the 6th SS Gebirgjagerdivision “Nord”

German, Russian helmets buried in the foliage

Quote Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
    I've exceeded the number of posts I could see in that link, so I can't dredge up the photo and post it here, but on page 2 or 3, is that a photo of a Charlemagne SS helmet (just because of the tricolor shield)?? Was the Charlemagne at Stalingrad?
    Nope . that's a standard Wehrmacht stahlhelm with national colours shield in black,white and red.