Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: anyone collect OLD military helmets ? Worldwide? pix?

For God and Country, I pass Geronimo, Geronimo EKIA

Quote Originally Posted by therifleman View Post
    I collect a fair bit, field gear and such along with a couple of helmets, one of which is my great grand uncle's WW1 lid that he wore in France. I particularly like Third Reich stuff but it is expensive and riddled with fakes.

M40 Wehrmacht
    beautiful helmet! nice patina and decal, looks like leather is good too.
    German helmets of both WWI and WWII to me, are the paragon of helmet collecting. "I never met a German helmet I didn't like."

PS... I am very aware of the fakes, the post war redos, the fake camo wires, the whole smear. One has to be informed when getting into this field as they are as you say, expensive.

The Garlic Fields of Transylvania, Romania.

Default WW2 Dutch - Romanian Helmets, a gift from the Axis.

Quote Originally Posted by Sneeuwbaard View Post
    Dutch M34 numero #1.
    [IMG]http://i37.*******.com/1imtu1dotjpg[/IMG]
    Has 2 decals of the 'Schalkhaar politie' on it, an Dutch police unit trained and educated by the Höhere SS- und Polizeiführer Nordwest (of Hanns Albin Rauter.)
    Everyone who wanted to work for the police was send to that school in Schalkhaar, explaining the name. Original green paint (Dutch Military standard) is still visible.
    The unit still has a bad name due to it's involvement in razzia's against jews in The Hague and Amsterdam, while there were also a number of 'Resistance fighters' in it.

Front plate is missing, seeing it was made out of copper and it reflected light in the evening as they had to be polished. Alot of soldiers removed the plate due to that reason.

Dutch M34 numero #2.
    [IMG]http://i37.*******.com/9qgsr7dotjpg[/IMG]
    If I have to believe it's previous owner this helmet belonged to a soldier who fought in 'Ockenburgh', a land property which used to be an military airfield, which got attacked by the 3./Fallschirmjäger Regiment 2 (and some other units of the 22nd Luftlande Division & other Infantry Units which were not supposed to land there) on 10 May 1940.
    It ended up in his attic for 66 years.
    *Not really spectaculair, but I live near Ockenburgh so it has a personal value.*

(Front plate missing also..)
    Interestingly enough when the Nazi captured Holland the also captured many thousands of these helmets, many of which they gave to the Romanians, originally they came with a Dutch Lion motif in a copper oval on the front, on the Romanian M.1939 helmets, the Romanians replaced many of these with their own oval badge bearing the intertwined letters "CC" for King Carol, however many were subsequently removed, after it was decided that the badge was a potential bullet trap and a good aimong point.

In 1942 a new version of the M-38 was produced as the M-38/42, which was fitted with German M-31 style liners.

More info:-

Posted on WW2.ro by member dutchhelmets

http://www.dutchhelmets.nl/

The most common model was the m34. this is the model (with dutch liner) that was ordered by the Romanians before the war started.

When Holland capitulated, Germany sent a lot of captured helmets (m27NM and m34) to Romania.

All these helmets had the Dutch liners, the company that produced these helmets (verblifa=verenigde blik fabrieken) was ordered by the Germans to keep producing the m34 model for the Romanian army and they did this till the end of 1942. These helmets had the German liner.

Starting on the liner colour, the Dutch military liners are always black. There are some models with brown liners, but these aren't the official liners, these liners were made in order of rich military (mostly officers!!!) only to show off, that's why there are some military models with brown (unofficial) liners.

After the war a lot of helmets were redone on order of the Dutch government for use by many different governmental organisations, except the army, a lot of these helmets had new brown liners.

As far as I know, all helmets that went to Romania which were produced after Holland capitulated, had German liners and they were brown. why these helmets had German liners, I don't know, possibly because these liners were already massed produced and plenty in storage. I don't believe that verblifa made German helmets. I've never heard that before, they did produce the m34 until the end of 1942, the m38 until somewhere in the 60's, the dutch mkII in the 50's and the m53 from the 50's to the end of the 80's.

As far of the size of the liners for the m27NM and m34, I mailed some other collectors to help me find an answer to that question. My opinion is that there was only one size helmet and liner.

The reason I believe that is because I have 7 m34's and they all have the same size helmet and liner. The same for the m27NM, when I get an answer too that I'll let you know. . . . . .

With regards the black helmets, police helmets, the dark-blue one from the marechaussee (military police) and the black one regular police, these two helmets were most likely redone after the war for police use.

The difference between police and fire-brigade helmets are the rivets, police helmets have black rivets (painted together with the shell) and fire brigade helmets have chrome rivets, these two helmets should have had markings in the past, the marechaussee helmet normally has a white grenade with a flame on top on the front of the helmet, the police helmet a white star with a similar grenade, as the marechausse one, also to the front of the helmet.
    From Romanian members: Mihnea, Claudiu1988, ANDI, REGAL UNIFORM COLLECTOR.

There was also a model retrofitted and issued to German Luftschutz Units:-

REISSUED DUTCH M27 LUFTSCHUTZ HELMET. (Holländisch Stahlhelm M27) Pictures attached below.

BACKGROUND: Formed in late 1932 the Deutsches Luftschutzverband, (German Air Protection League), was a voluntary organization designed to provide civil air raid protection in large civilian centers.

Shortly after Hitler ascension to power the Deutsches Luftschutzverband was restructured and placed under the supervision of the Reichsluftfahrtministerium, (National Air Ministry), under the control of Hermann Göring.

On April 29TH 1933 the Deutsches Luftschutzverband was renamed RLB, Reichs Luftschutz Bund, (National Air Raid Protection League) and was given status as an official national organization tasked with all aspects of civil air raid defence.

The RLB remained a voluntary organization with a small cadre of paid, full-time uniformed officials to oversee the organizations functions until June 1935 when obligatory service was introduced. Only the most basic uniform and equipment items were supplied to the cadre personnel, with the rest having to be bought personally by members.

On September 26TH 1938 a specific helmet for RLB personnel was introduced that incorporated a raised horizontal "bead" between the visors and crown. These helmets commonly called the "Gladiator" style were supplemented with M35, M40 and M42 helmets that also incorporated a raised horizontal "bead" between the visors and crown.

The Luftschutz also utilized a variety of captured helmets. [*******Red]The Dutch army had purchased their helmets from Rumania and modified them by adding the Dutch coat-of-arms to the front center*.[/COLOR] After the successful invasion of Holland and the capitulation of the Dutch army in May 1940 the Germans appropriated large stockpiles of weapons and equipment including helmets.

PHYSICAL DESCRIPTION: Luftschutz reissue, Dutch M27 stamped, sheet steel construction helmet with scalloped sides and an extended, flared, rear neck guard visor. The exterior of the helmet retains about 80% of its dark satin blue over-paint with small areas of chafe wear to the base metal with light surface spotting. The front center of the helmet has a Luftschutz emblem decal positioned above the Dutch coat-of-arms. The black detailed, silver decal features stylized spread wings with a central oak-leaf sprig and a canted swastika positioned below a scripted banner, "Luftschutz". The decal is retained about 70% with some fair sized sections having been chafed off. The brazed on Dutch coat-of-arms features an embossed, crowned, rampant lion clutching a sword in one paw and three arrows in the other paw on a vertically oval base with a horizontally ribbed background field. The reverse neck guard visor has a small horizontal cut-out and a white hand painted name, "Alex". The interior of the helmet is still in its original olive drab paint and a three pad blackened leather liner is fully intact with its original fit adjustment tie string. The liner consists of three separate pads with two fingers to each and an ersatz padding to the reverse. The liner pads each have a stamped, repeating crosshatch pattern and alloy grommets for the tie string. The reverse section of the lining has the addition of a unique, downwardly extended blackened leather panel with an integral fit adjustment strap with a corresponding, sheet metal ****ged roller buckle. The helmet comes complete with a blackened leather chinstrap with a sheet metal length adjustment gripper buckle. The chinstrap is secured to the helmets liner band with swivel bale metal loops. The integral liner fit adjustment buckle and the chinstrap buckle both show moderate to heavy rusting but otherwise the helmet is in overall good condition.

[*******Red]* the writer at German Militaria of the above has got his information backwards the helmets were shipped OUT to Romania not in.[/COLOR]
    After the war, the use of m27NM and m34 dutch helmets was discontinued and replaced with ssh40 Russian helmets. But there were some exceptions, some of them being repainted and used for fire brigades and Traffic Controllers in the street.

During the last third of the 1960's, along with the political changes (a slight declination of Soviet influence, N. Ceausescu sworn as president), the Russian helmets were also discontinued and thousands of Dutch helmets were in use again (with Dutch, German and some other local variation liners).

Photos taken during the 1970's with soldiers wearing Dutch helmets that were not even repainted, the area were the front badge was fixed still visible, they were again discontinued gradually, after the new m73 Romanian helmet was issued to the military for service.
    Romanian Helmets with painted Insignia, were special produced for the 30th Guard Regiment and were carried on ceremonies and parades in front the “Supreme Commander” President N. Ceausescu They could be seen in many official photographs of the communist era military magazines.

It was also a blue painted version, probably for Air Force, Navy or Militia guard units.
    First Seven (7) pictures show my Romanian WW2 Model, dark green paint is Romanian Communist period, with the light apple green the original Romanian WW2 paint job.

Other pictures:-

IC = Îndrumător de circulaţie (traffic director) and Insignia shots from

Collector's Guild at WWW.Germanmilitaria.com the net.

Connaught Ranger.
    Attachments Pending Approval Attachments Pending Approval

Banned user

I have a Iraqi helmet. That's it, though.
    Last edited by cbiwv; 11-04-2009 at 02:08 PM.

I've got myself a Belgian M31 helmet

For God and Country, I pass Geronimo, Geronimo EKIA

nice helmet! good it has the comb on top and the crest on front too. is the insides (leather suspension) still in place or gone? No matter it is still a nice "skull bucket".

I have the Waffen SS one, used in Wiking division. Too bad it's very rusty and only the SS emblem is visible barely. Could take pics and post them one day maybe. Oh, and don't collect helmets. This one came into my hands through old relative.

The leather is gone, I got this helmet for free when I bought some rifles from another collector, Belgian WWII helmets aren't quite the collection item, most of them are in a real bad shape, until 5 years ago you could find yourself a good one for €10, but they are becomming rare, and prices start to rise
    Quote Originally Posted by commanding View Post
    nice helmet! good it has the comb on top and the crest on front too. is the insides (leather suspension) still in place or gone? No matter it is still a nice "skull bucket".

My SADF/SANDF Mk.87 and two Linneman und Schnetzer M53's. I know they are not that old - but the lineage is.

One of my recent pickups:

NS made, size 62. Nice combat veteran.

my newest, I costed €2 , it's a Belgian marine helmet from 1951

www.warhelmets.net

I am working on a reference site/ community where all combat helmets during the first, interwar and second world war period are discussed. Most of the helmets on there are mine, but I am planning to enlarge it with collectors who are willing so share their collection.

Cheers,

De Waal

i got myself a dutch helmet, with plate today, it was dug up near Heerlen (Netherlands) , it still has some paint on the back and on the inside

does anyone know if the lion was painted green too?
    Last edited by Pandemonium; 03-25-2010 at 08:57 PM.

heres my Israeli helmet with camo cover
    Attachments Pending Approval Attachments Pending Approval

I almost bought a Dutch helmet at an auction but the price went too high. It was in excelent condition, painted green with a yellow *****e around the rim. The badge on the front was very ornate and beautifully made of black bronze. Is this normal or was it made for parade use?

The Garlic Fields of Transylvania, Romania.

Quote Originally Posted by Engine Mech View Post
    I almost bought a Dutch helmet at an auction but the price went too high. It was in excelent condition, painted green with a yellow *****e around the rim. The badge on the front was very ornate and beautifully made of black bronze. Is this normal or was it made for parade use?
    Was the badge of a Lion?