Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: US P51 Ace Bill Overstreet

Default US P51 Ace Bill Overstreet

Just interviewed a WWII fighter pilot with some incredible stories:

1. Flew from Germany to England, then landed... BLIND.
    2. Chased German fighters so close the ground he had grass in his wingtips and barbed wire hanging from his tail.
    3. While in formation, flew loops around the Golden Gate Bridge.
    4. Shot down a German fighter as the two flew UNDER the Eifel Tower!
    5. Was part of an OSS "underground railroad" that saw regular flights outta Europe ferrying downed pilots back to England (anyone hear of this operation before?).

DT

Shot down a Jerry while flying under the Eiffel tower???
    BULLSHI!

Quote Originally Posted by SOD View Post
    Shot down a Jerry while flying under the Eiffel tower???
    BULLSHI!
    http://www.actionart.ca/index1e.htm

Is there any 3rd party testimonial to this self proclaimed event?

Is there any 3rd party testimonial to this self proclaimed event?
    I don't think so. The story goes that he was chasing the German, who decided to fly over Paris in hopes the AA would take out the Mustang (surmised). Bill got some hits on the plane, which then made the move under the tower.

Bill says that because of limited space, the German couldn't roll either way and as he pulled up to clear the move, he moved right into the gun sites and was destroyed as Bill came from under the tower.

This guy flew wing for Chuck Yeager. I am confident he is not lying.

Here's another one: Bill had a hankering for beet vodka he found while in Russia and when his unit moved onto Italy, he filled his ammo trays with the booze not expecting a fight.

Over Poletsi (?), they did encounter some Germans, but for some reson they did not engage. The last German bird seemed to get engine trouble because the pilot rolled and bailed.

Back home command wanted to know who was closest to the German, as they would get credit for the kill. Bill stepped up, but turned down the kill because his plane was full of vodka and he couldn't of engaged if he wanted to!

Looked him up on the web.
    He also claims to have blacked out for 90 minutes flying at 22,000 because of faulty oxygen.

[CENTER][SIZE=5]Bill Overstreet[/SIZE][/CENTER]
    [LEFT][SIZE=4][/SIZE] [/LEFT]
    [CENTER]
    [SIZE=4]Stars and *****es Article from May 24, 1944. Donated by John Cirillo.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=4]What a P-39 looks like when it "Tumbles In". This was Bill's shortest parachute jump. "When the chute filled with air and stopped my fall, my feet hit the ground beside the prop." The other members of the flight never saw Bill's chute.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=4]Bill Overstreet and his favorite auto and plane at the time![/SIZE]
    [*******#ffffff][/COLOR][/CENTER]

He also told me of a time when he was in a dog fight, with the Germans in retreat, he put the plane into a dive to catch up with trailing fighter when his eyes swelled shut from the pressure. Another pilot actually flew side-byside with him and talked him into a blind landing.

Looked him up on the web.
    He also claims to have blacked out for 90 minutes flying at 22,000 because of faulty oxygen.
    I believe he said it turned out a bullet severed his oxygen supply.

As for that training crash: He said the plane was in a full death spiral and the pressure held the door shut. Just as he was able to gain some leverage with his knee and shoulder, the door popped off and he popped out.

He says a second after the chute popped, he was standing upright, next to the wreckage.

The next time he had to bail was after strafing an ammo train in France, he was too low for the explosion, which shredded his under belly.

During his capture, he dispatched two nazis, who were guarding him, with a wrench. He then stole the ammo vehicle he was in and drove it until it was out of gas. He then hooked up with partisans and made it back to England.

Claims that when the Gestapo interviewed him, they knew everything about him, including past, pre-military girlfriends.

When he asked, "What did my parents have for breakfast?", the Gestapo agent replied, "I'll tell you tomorrow."

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/...w2/ossops.html

There certainly were flights out of occupied Europe for downed airmen and OSS agents, just at the moment I don't have my normal PC up and running or else I would provide some links for you.

THE FORGOTTEN 500 tells the story of Operation Halyard in 1944, the largest rescue ever of downed American airmen. More than 500 U.S. airmen were rescued, along with some from other countries, all right under the noses of the Germans, and mostly in broad daylight. The mission was a complete success - the kind that should have been trumpeted in news reels and on the front page. (By comparison, the famed escape of allied prisoners from a German POW camp portrayed in the movie "The Great Escape" involved 200 men, and only 76 were successful.)

It is a little known episode that started with one edge-of-your seat rescue in August 1944, followed by a series of additional rescues in the following months. American agents from the OSS, the precursor of the CIA, worked with a Serbian guerilla, General Draza Mihailovich, to carry out the huge, ultra-secret rescue mission.

I don't have a link as this comes from an old email. However I am sure you'll be able to find the book.

Yes, Bill talks about Tito and how the Yugoslav partisans play a big role. I'll have to get as much out of him as I can before he passes. He's a frail 88, but stays busy. Maybe a good paper in the future on this is merited?

Bill used the system as a downed pilot and ultimately flew cover for the extractions.

My advice is to gather as much as you can from him and others of that generation as they are slipping away. Almost all will be gone in the next few years.

Read about him already. Im in no position to doubt the man, I have tons of respect for great men like him who flew the great warplanes of WW2. He's a old warbird now but I still wish him many more years on earth. May God bless him.