Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Military Skiing and Snowshoe

Thumbs up Military Skiing and Snowshoe Photos

Hello Gents,

[SIZE=3]This is a Military Ski and Snowshoe thread for us cold loving people![/SIZE]
    I have just a few that I've collected from this forum and elsewhere. I hope you guys can help me build a better collection by adding to this thread!!!
    Please and Thank You!

Like everyone else, I prefer High-Res pics, so let's try to stick to that as much as possible.
    Don't be afraid to post any smaller Resolution pics though, lets just try to keep the quality as good as possible.

The format using a smaller picture (800x600ish) above the HiRes link is very convenient for folks. To do the HiRes link, use this format with the slash [/url] on the last url -> [url=http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/5250/francesof3dotjpg]HiRes[url]

So, I'll just start with a couple, for now.

French Special Forces ->

HiRes

HiRes

For Zion’s sake I will not keep silent, for Jerusalem’s sake I will not remain quiet

don't know, my dad schlept a pair of skis all is service in 22nd BCA, and the most snow he ever saw while deployed never allowed him for using them.

United States Army. 10th Special Forces Group, mountain training in Colorado.

HiRes

HiRes

Canadian Army. Training in the very cold Nunavut territory.
    The Canadian Forces have bought new ski gear throughout 2008-2009.

HiRes

HiRes

HiRes

HiRes

HiRes

HiRes

HiRes

HiRes

Let me know if the format is good. Also, if I make any mistakes with the links, let me know.

Nice to see this thread. If I found something of Slovenian armed forces I will put it on.

UK Royal Marines in Norway.

Austrian Army. Alpine Training 2006.

HiRes

[SIZE=4]Slovenian Special Forces (ESD)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]On a rescue mission (civilian plane crash) in Afghanistan in 2005[/SIZE]

A coy 1st Bn Royal Scots in Wainright Jan 2000, During Ex Snowshoe, 01. Brilliant exercise great course and an all round great laugh. Apart from the frostbite and "tents up, tents down".

Pictures from MOD picture library.
    Attachments Pending Approval Attachments Pending Approval

Default Snow..

Snow brings it's oportunities and obstacles. In sweden which is relatively flat or gentley rolling woodland terrain is well suited for skiis whilst snowshoes is better suited for mountains. wide skiis like in the pictures is the most essential piece of kit for the light infantry in the nordics (ask the finns). I remember seeing Chris Ryan (ex SAS) making an ass of himself when roaming about on snow shoes in russia on a tv show. Having skiis would have been a big difference on pace and effort as is was quite flat. My point is that if you need to go out in the snow learn to use both snow shoes and skiis depending on the scenario. (SAS is otherwise a very competent force and is not a general subject of my disdain)

Default Nice pictures

Not sure of the correct word in english for riding on the rope behind the BV206 but we call it "Tolka". It's a good way of transporting a ready platoon around as they are not caugh inside vehicle (BV206 offers no protection to fragments or bullets anyway). They can quickly disperse this way. I would recommend holding the rope under one arm and the poles under the other similiar to the pics, leaning gently backwards to save your back. Skiing with a rifle is a menace as you need to use the arms. A vertical position on the chest is probably the most comfortable.

German mountain combat engineers, from my private collection

On snowshoes (in general we were skiing)

Another shot, this time on ski:

Transporting a wounded on a selfmade ski sleigh

Above the clouds

Home for a week

Sorry, just have them in that lower resolution on my laptop..
    Last edited by Karo; 01-04-2010 at 07:32 PM.

Thanks for the additions guys!

Romanian Army. New Gear.

HiRes

Finish Army pics.

Anyone know what skis they have in the first pic?
    Looks like crappy bindings they use... I like the Canadian Army binding setup. They use "Hummocks".

HiRes

Hires

Hires

Finish Army Ski Championship.

Hires

Hires

Hires