Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: RQ-170 Clear Daylight Photo.

Default RQ-170 Clear Daylight Photo.

This is one of a set of photos inside the great http://www.combataircraft.net/ magazine available here in the UK and USA (and world wide)

I use this photo alone and am not going to reproduce all of the set because I felt the above is educational for us here who love aircraft and have asked moderator permission before posting, and felt that it will get a few more sales because frankly the other photographs inside the magazine are amazing and well worth having the hard copies of - the detailed side shot is extremely thought provoking.

So, an extremely clear two thirds shot, and frankly I think these photos are going to cause one hell of a stir for what they show us.

Purveyor of intelligent reading material Lt-Col A. Tack's Avatar

Very cool, sir!

Excellent shot of "The Beast"

Sheep dog standing before wolves The Dane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 2495 View Post

So, an extremely clear two thirds shot, and frankly I think these photos are going to cause one hell of a stir for what they show us.
    What does it show us???

I am glad to see a clear shot of what seems to be a very large sensor bay area just behind the nose wheel. Whats unusual is that the main wheel housing flaps are not designed with any stealth / LO features at all - unless they have a new way to seal them up so any radar returns do not hit those flat edges.

All in all, coupled with the other photos inside the (well worth the issue fee) magazine it still manages to leave far more to be answered than the photos can tell us (even as a set).

Another extremely puzzling aspect is what looks like an antenna blade on the outside of the wheel housing - its flat, square and I am frankly absolutely totally 100% stumped: Only Lockheed have the answers and I am sure they won't be playing ball any time yet.

Banned user

Nice! Thanks for the pic man.

Quote Originally Posted by Danskeren View Post
    What does it show us???
    +1, It is just a flying wing with no pilot. Flying wings have been around since the 1950's, maybe the "new" part is the on-board sensor package that might be an upgrade from other RUAVs.

Quote Originally Posted by HK in AK View Post
    +1, It is just a flying wing with no pilot. Flying wings have been around since the 1950's, may be the "new" part is the on-board sensor package that might be an upgrade from other RUAVs.
    Oh who pissed on your parade? That 'Just' a flying wing is a complex and unusual configuration - the intake alone is extremely unusual let alone the dual over wing humps. As well, many of the LO features seem to point to the fact that this 'just a flying wing' is the start of a spiral of steps to get a new war fighting technology into the main stream quickly and at lower cost than expected.

Sheep dog standing before wolves The Dane's Avatar

Well, it certainly looks cool. Only lacks a bombbay

Banned user

It looks okay. Never been a fan of flying wings.

Member Bob the Builder on Crack's Avatar

awesome pic, thnx!

Thanks 2495 - you've done it again

Very interesting photo for all the reasons already listed.

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy51 View Post
    Thanks 2495 - you've done it again

Very interesting photo for all the reasons already listed.
    Have a look at the sensor housing - see that lip at the rear? now look at that large flap to the side of the nose wheel. Is this a system for take off and landing only and not in flight? are all the systems in the humps over wing like suggested?

I just am truely thrown by this, for before the RQ-170 came online autonomy at landing and take off had been solved. So what gives? I just do not know.

It frankly is making less and less sense each image I see.

Have a look at the sensor housing - see that lip at the rear? now look at that large flap to the side of the nose wheel. Is this a system for take off and landing only and not in flight? are all the systems in the humps over wing like suggested?

I just am truely thrown by this, for before the RQ-170 came online autonomy at landing and take off had been solved. So what gives? I just do not know.

It frankly is making less and less sense each image I see.
    No reason why the over-wing humps can't contain both sensors and comms. The photo shows the beast with gear down and the belly sensor bay open. Separate things? If the sensors were always exposed the beast might lose some stealth to radar. So why not hide the sensors until you want to use them and then do so for the shortest possible period. Sensors might also be sensitive to various things like temperature and hence hidden. Just guessing...

Purveyor of intelligent reading material Lt-Col A. Tack's Avatar

Interesting observation, sir.
    I can't offer any insight.

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy51 View Post
    No reason why the over-wing humps can't contain both sensors and comms. The photo shows the beast with gear down and the belly sensor bay open. Separate things? If the sensors were always exposed the beast might lose some stealth to radar. So why not hide the sensors until you want to use them and then do so for the shortest possible period. Sensors might also be sensitive to various things like temperature and hence hidden. Just guessing...
    I agree - the over wings are the main areas - that lip on the underside would bloom like an absolute nightmare, as would that angular cupola inside that side flap. Hell, lower that on radar for even a second, and you will have a serious problem on your hands.

All we can do is speculate at the moment until LM fill us in - I would absolutely recommend getting a hard copy of this magazine and looking at the entire picture set - very worth while and for 4 a bargain.