Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Haunted Naval Ships

the Ralph Wiggum of Mp.net. timetraveller's Avatar

Default Haunted Naval Ships

Be interested to know if you have or know anyone that has encounterd ghosts ... whilst at Sea ...

I find it fascinating and have always been fascinated by such things like this story of the CV12 USS Hornet

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...=rbxcra.2.a.11

Despite official denials to the contrary, rumors persist that San Francisco Bay's now-enshrined carrier Hornet is bedeviled by a bevy of scary apparitions from the spirit world. Or, is it just astute merchandising?
    "He was too horrible to fully describe - his white uniform matted with glistening blood, his burned flesh hung in grotesque ribbons from his bones, eyeballs bulging in stark terror -4 yet he was there. At least three of us saw him standing there eerily beckoning at the end of the long, dark passageway leading to the forward fire room."
    So spoke 16-year-old Girl Scout Norma Harrelson, the most frightening encounter of her life. Mote bizarre was the fact this incident had not happened at Diet or in a Halloween theme park, but aboard a former Navy aircraft carrier, the USS Hornet (CV-12) now a memorialized museum warship in Alameda, California.
    "No, it wasn't our imaginations at work," Norma insisted. "He was really there staring at us, pleading for our help. We froze as if ice had suddenly filled our veins. We screamed and... poof... he just vanished. All of a sudden the air felt oddly humid, the foul tinge of burned flesh still clung to our nostrils. Frightened out of our wits, we scrambled topside rushing to gulp down fresh air."
    Miss Harrelson's experience while on a recent overnight live-aboard camp-out on the veteran carrier is no isolated encounter. For years now, USS Hornet has reportedly been afflicted with more than her fair share of ghostly apparitions and unexplainable phenomenon. Unnatural sounds and weird apparitions fill her maze of corridors at odd hours, locked doors are mysteriously found open, and visitors are assaulted and shoved by invisible forces. The problem has become so rampant that experts on paranormal phenomenon have repeatedly been called in to investigate the problem. Using everything from special magnetometers to infra-red film and exotic imaging equipment, they have found the carrier to be literally crawling with the suspicious clues of strange presences.
    Bob Messiah, a long retired former crewmen and now one of Hornet's volunteer docents has his own explanation regarding why this particular ship is so bedeviled. "Very few of the memorialized warships open to the public have the exceptional history that this ship enjoys. First all, she is the seventh Naval vessel to bear the proud name Hornet. Her immediate predecessor, the sixth USS Hornet - CV-8 went down fighting in the Battle of Santa Cruz early in WWII after launching the 16 B-25 Doolittle Tokyo Raiders in April 1942.
    "Commissioned in October 1941, CV-8 was the newest of Navy's carriers to be sunk, seeing barely a year of intense active service before being sunk on 22 October 1942. One hundred and eleven men went down with CV-8 after she was first struck by two suicide-bound attackers much like the later kamikazes.
    "If that's not enough blood-boiling action in one year's time now consider this new Hornet - CV-8's 27,000-ton Essex-class replacement - namesake CV-12, commissioned 29 November 1943. Remember too, the Pacific War was more than half over before this ship launched its first plane on a combat mission in the Caroline Islands. To give you some idea of why so many ghosts seem to inhabit her you need only look at why she was awarded seven battle stars and the Presidential Unit Citation in WWII alone.
    "First of all, Hornet holds the WWII record for the number of enemy planes downed in one day 67 - with 255 aerial victories scored in a month, not to mention the 742 Japanese planes destroyed on the ground. Better yet, her air groups sank 1,269,000-tons of Japanese shipping, dispatching 73 enemy warships to Davy Jones' locker post haste. Her planes also seriously damaged several other enemy vessels, leaving them of no use to the Japanese. To her eternal credit, Hornet's planes helped sink the world's largest battleship - the 80,000-ton 18-in gunned IJN Yamoto, plus a carrier, a cruiser and ten destroyers.
    "Now, you can't forget that this baby (CV-12) could take it as well as dish it out. She was attacked 59 times and never struck by a bomb, torpedo or kamikaze! Oi course, it required more than 7000 rounds of 5-in/38 ammo, 115,000 rounds of 40mm and 409,000 rounds of 20mm to defend her, but her gunners knocked down nine attackers and scored 37 probables.
    "Nor were her 90 or more aircraft shy about developing their own impressive statistics. In the process of steaming nearly 160,000-nm in WWII alone her air groups consumed almost five million gallons of avgas. In all, they fired 4.8 million rounds of ammunition, dropped nearly 18,000 bombs flying 18,569 sorties, and made more than 23,000 traps (arrested) landings.
    Bob went on, "Now you may ask what all these numbers mean when one is discussing ghostly happenings? They simply substantiate why an aircraft carrier is considered the world's most dangerous real estate and work site. And Hornet was no exception, especially in her nearly 25year-long active postwar career as an anti-submarine (CVS) carrier and 1969 support ship for the famed Apollo 11 and 12 astronauts' recovery from the moon landings. Death or severe injury was and could be instantaneous above or below deck. When catapult or arrester steel cables snap they can cut a man in two; decapitate him in the blink of eye. Invisible high pressure steam is so deadly it can peel your flesh as one might the skin of a grape. There's always the danger of being mangled by moving machinery, or falling overboard. Propeller driven aircraft had the additional hazard of posing great risk to rushing deck handlers who often walked into whirling props with obvious catastrophic consequences. And many a swabbie was accidentally crushed by Tilley the wreck mover, or by deck and ammo elevators that claimed more than their share of hapless victims," Bob Messiah explained.

My ship, the USS John F Kennedy, had no ghostly crewmembers that I ever heard of. But I heard a sea story about JFK's ghost appearing at her commissioning, and was even photographed. Never seen the supposed photo, though.

As far as the Hornet, who knows?
    That description of the ghost seems a little...dramatic... coming from a 16 yr old girl. Like something you'd read in a cheap paperback..

Banned user

Soviet (project 1123) Helicopter Carrier Moskva had a reputation for being haunted, especially after the first suicide took place on her. Unlike Hornet, however, Moskva and her sister ship Leningrad were scrapped in 1990-s.

I remember there were similar stories about Uss Forestall, look at the bottom of the page: http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums...battles-of-WW2

USS Lexington is haunted

The North Carolina's supposed to be haunted also.

Whats that movie with the haunted Nazi torture ship with bodies of Allied pilots and sailors in the freezer? that was a f8cked up haunted ship story. ><

Quote Originally Posted by goat89 View Post
    Whats that movie with the haunted Nazi torture ship with bodies of Allied pilots and sailors in the freezer? that was a f8cked up haunted ship story. ><
    You mean Death Ship?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_Ship_(1980_film)

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowstorm View Post
    Thats the *****ing one! ><

Banned user

Never saw a ghost.

But I did see St. Elmos Fire on a P-3 Orion flight between Alaska and Moffett Field.

Banned user

Don't know if it was a warship, think trade actually but what about the "Mary Cellest"...spelling??? Apparently found her way home despite having no crew on board or all being dead depending which story you hear (I've read that the ship was just abandoned for no reason and I've heard a crew member went loopy and butchered them all then done himself in). Anyone with better accounts or facts would be great to hear from you on this one...not much info as you may have guessed

Quote Originally Posted by arcadian View Post
    Don't know if it was a warship, think trade actually but what about the "Mary Cellest"...spelling??? Apparently found her way home despite having no crew on board or all being dead depending which story you hear (I've read that the ship was just abandoned for no reason and I've heard a crew member went loopy and butchered them all then done himself in). Anyone with better accounts or facts would be great to hear from you on this one...not much info as you may have guessed
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Celeste

Quote Originally Posted by Pandemonium View Post
    I remember there were similar stories about Uss Forestall, look at the bottom of the page: http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums...battles-of-WW2
    Had a co-worker who was stationed on her and he related some stories about her being haunted. After the big fire, they had to store bodies in the meat locker(s), and few people after going in the meat locker years after the fire would go back in, saying they "saw/heard" something. Just relaying the story, can't say myself. As for the Battleship North Carolina, having grew up there and taking tours, I never heard of it being haunted till it was on an episode of "Ghost Hunters", while they had some "interesting" things happen. I also know a ship makes all sorts of weird noises, especially when all else is quiet. More likely it was the gators in the water making the "bump" noises.

East coast conservative, surrounded by liberals

the museum ship U.S.S. Salem in Quincy, Massachusetts is reported to be haunted.

my engineering mindset, has always made me very wary of believing in hauntings and ghosts......but on the other hand....as a student of history, I know that throughout history man always think they know "everything" when in fact they know very little and there are tons of things that we do not know, and do not understand...as we are not near as smart as we think we are.