Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: NAVIES OF LANDLOCKED COUNTRIES - fotos and informations.

Default NAVIES OF LANDLOCKED COUNTRIES - fotos and informations.

[SIZE=3][*******navy]Рropose to discuss this topic and I will be grateful for photos and information .[/COLOR][/SIZE]

A landlocked navy is a naval force operated by a country which [*******#5a3696]does not have a coastline[/COLOR]. While such countries are obviously unable to develop a sea-going [*******#002bb8]blue-water navy[/COLOR], they may still deploy armed forces on major lakes or rivers.
    There are a number of reasons a landlocked country may choose to maintain a navy. If a river or lake forms a national border, countries may feel the need to protect and patrol that border with a military force. In some regions, roads may be unreliable or circuitous, and a river or lake may be the easiest way to move military forces around the country. Sometimes, possession of a body of water may actually be contested — for example, countries around the landlocked [*******#002bb8]Caspian Sea[/COLOR] have different views of how ownership should be divided.
    The ships employed by landlocked navies are usually, of necessity, small. [*******#002bb8]Patrol boats[/COLOR] of various types are the most common craft. Some landlocked navies possess troop or vehicle transports, allowing ground forces to cross or travel along a lake or river.
    Landlocked countries that have navies include:

Azerbaijan
    Bolivia
    [*******#002bb8]Central African Republic[/COLOR]
    Kazakhstan
    Laos
    Paraguay
    Rwanda
    Serbia
    Turkmenistan
    Uganda
    Burundi
    Malawi
    Switzerland
    Hungary
    Uzbekistan
    Mongolia and ...

Other countries may operate water-based military forces without actually establishing an independent navy — instead, responsibility may be given to a branch of a different service, often the army.
    Naturally, the operation of military forces in lakes and rivers is not limited to landlocked countries — many states maintain such forces (e.g. Russia's [*******#002bb8]Caspian Flotilla[/COLOR]) in addition to their sea-going navy. River-based forces are often referred to as [*******#002bb8]brown-water navies[/COLOR], and may or may not be part of the same organisation as the sea-going navy.
    From Wikipedia

And first discuss aboute [*******navy]Mongolian navy[/COLOR] /

In the 13th century, Mongolia had the largest and most powerful navy in the world. Today, the Mongolian Navy has three boats, two guns, one engine, and seven sailors (only one of whom can swim).

In the 1980’s, a Mongolian university student known only as Ganbaatar won a scholarship to study fish farming in the Soviet Union. But the state functionary filling out his application put down the course code as 1012, instead of 1013, a bureaucratic error that detoured him from fish farming to deep-sea fishing. (Efforts by Ganbaatar to change this fell on deaf ears.) Upon graduation, he was sent to work with the seven-man Mongolian Navy, which patrolled the nation’s largest lake, Lake Hovsgol.
    This “navy” was built for one purpose: to transport Soviet oil across a huge freshwater lake. The lone ship, a tug boat, had been hauled in parts across the steppes, assembled on a beach and launched in 1938. Mongolia’s merchant navy is now a rusting old ship looking for work, and technically no longer the Mongolian Navy any more, given that it was semi-privatized in 1997. However, it remains the unquestioned ruler of Lake Hovsgol.
    Ganbaatar went on to write Mongolia’s new maritime law, which took effect in 1999. And recently, Mongolia has entered the ship registration business, dominated by Panama, Liberia, and the Bahamas. I saw one such example of this registration in Hakodate, Hokkaido, Japan about one year ago.

Hello,

I would like to share with you two very intersting links :

- a very complete study (ODB, descriptions, photographs...) of Paraguayan Navy :

http://www.histarmar.com.ar/ArmadasE...daParaguay.htm

- ODB of Laotian riverine forces and Azerbaïdjan Navy (I don't know if Azerbaidjan, Kazakhzstan and Turkmenistan are really landlocked : Caspian Sea is refered as a Sea, not a lake!) :
    http://www.hicon.pl/~pothkan/hhwn/Laos2.html
    http://www.hicon.pl/~pothkan/hhwn/Azerbaijan3.html#med

Bolivia always makes me laugh, back in the 90's and in the 70's Venezuela gave them a couple of warships lol no idea where they have them.

On my horse, my Mauser ready, watching the boundaries

Quote Originally Posted by Nuclear_Warrior View Post
    Bolivia always makes me laugh, back in the 90's and in the 70's Venezuela gave them a couple of warships lol no idea where they have them.
    Do you know which warships were given?
    If you are talking about patrolcrafts they can be and are used in Titicaca Lake and several rivers.
    Spain donated a nice amount of small riverine vessels and crafts to Bolivia, and it was a quite serious operation.
    Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by Tintxo View Post
    Do you know which warships were given?
    If you are talking about patrolcrafts they can be and are used in Titicaca Lake and several rivers.
    Spain donated a nice amount of small riverine vessels and crafts to Bolivia, and it was a quite serious operation.
    Regards.
    No, IIRC they were destroyers or frigates.

The most poor country in south america and they spent money for a navy they even dont need. what the problem with them?!?

Quote Originally Posted by DID View Post
    The most poor country in south america and they spent money for a navy they even dont need. what the problem with them?!?
    They didn't spend any, Venezuela gave them those ships as gifts. Recently they also gave them an Eurocopter Cougar.

They didn't spend any, Venezuela gave them those ships as gifts. Recently they also gave them an Eurocopter Cougar.
    They didn't buy them but do you have any idea how expensive is it to maintain them, not to speak about the rent of naval facilities...

They didn't buy them but do you have any idea how expensive is it to maintain them, not to speak about the rent of naval facilities...
    Yeah that's true, but anyways where are they going to have a big ship like that, the CAP was an ******* for giving them those ships.

Yeah that's true, but anyways where are they going to have a big ship like that, the CAP was an ******* for giving them those ships.
    sure but they weren't forced to accept it isn'it?

sure but they weren't forced to accept it isn'it?
    Nope, they were not forced. I still wonder what happened to them.

Nope, they were not forced. I still wonder what happened to them.
    Some Nationalistic feeling or maybe because they had problem with neighbors and want to scary them with the navy...

Some Nationalistic feeling or maybe because they had problem with neighbors and want to scary them with the navy...
    With Chile perhaps, since it was to them that they lost their only port to the ocean.

On my horse, my Mauser ready, watching the boundaries

No, IIRC they were destroyers or frigates.
    Do you have a source for that info?

Quote Originally Posted by Tintxo View Post
    Do you have a source for that info?
    I think one of the ships was called El Liberador Simon Bolivar.