Page 14 of 51 FirstFirst ... 467891011121314151617181920212224 ... LastLast

Thread: On this day in Military History

Excellent work valtrex!!

I remember my father singing bits of that Napoleonic sea shanty, usually at parties, with a drink or two in hand. Now I know where it comes from... That's pretty cool.
    Thanks Valtrex, this thread rocks. It has become a daily read for me.
    *lifts glass*
    "Buvons un coup, buvons en deux!..."

7 October 1944; 130,000 Dutch Guilders dropped behind enemy Lines in Holland for Jedburgh/SF-team Dudley.

The world's an oppressive place to live through -yet with a little pride it's worth it

Default October, 9

1238: King of Aragon, Jaume I el Conqueridor (=the Conqueror) defeated the Moors from the Balansiya taifa (=independent Moslem-ruled principality) and entered the city of Valencia on 9 October, which is regarded as the dawn of the Kingdom of Valencia.
    [IMG]http://i56.*******.com/jhshmedotjpg[/IMG]
    [size=1]John of Aragon's equestrian statue, in Valencia[/size]

1264: The Kingdom of Castille takes the Moslem town of Sherish and renames it Jerez, the capital of sherry wine, the Andalusian horse, and flamenco.

[size=1]The Alcázar (=Arabic castle) of Jerez[/size]

1760: During the Seven Years' War, the Russians under Count Pyotr Semyonovich Saltykov and Austrians under Franz Moritz Graf von Lascy take Berlin from the Prussians and briefly occupied it.
    [IMG]http://i51.*******.com/soa6oydotjpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i56.*******.com/30kyog7dotjpg[/IMG]
    [size=1]Count Saltykov (left) and Count Lascy[/size]

1806: As part of the War of the Fourth Coalition (the fourth major concerted effort by Prussia, Russia, Saxony, Sweden, and the United Kingdom to contain Napoleonic France), Prussia declares war on France.
    [IMG]http://i51.*******.com/vqo1s0dotjpg[/IMG]
    [size=1]Friedrich-Wilhelm III, King of Prussia from 1797 - 1840[/size]

1831: The First Governor of the Independent Greek State, a Greek diplomat of the Russian Empire, Count Ioannes Antonios Capodistrias (or Kapodistrias), is assassinated on Sunday morning, on the steps of the church of Saint Spyridon in Nauplion (Greece's first capital) by the heroic Maniot family of the Greek War of Independence turned brigand, the Mavromikhales. On 21 September 2009, the city of Lausanne in Switzerland inaugurated a bronze statue of Kapodistrias in a ceremony attended by the Foreign Ministers of the Russian Federation, Sergei Lavrov and of Switzerland, Micheline Calmy-Rey.
    [IMG]http://i55.*******.com/ounxwmdotjpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i51.*******.com/291p3xjdotjpg[/IMG]
    [size=1]Capodistrias as unofficial Russian ambassador to Switzerland, actively facilitated the initiation of a new Constitution for the 19 cantons that were the component states of Switzerland, with personal drafts[/size]

1854: During the Crimean War, the Siege of Sebastopol begins, lasting until September 1855. The defence of the city was led by Vice Admirals Vladimir Kornilov and Pavel Nakhimov assisted by the chief engineer, Lieutenant Colonel Eduard Totleben, commanding a garrison of ca 36,600 and from May 1855, 42,000 troops. The task to capture the city was undertaken by an allied army of French, British and Ottoman troops (comprised 75,000 French, 35,000 British, 60,000 Turkish, 15,000 Piedmontese and from August 1855, additional 85,000 troops from Switzerland, Poland, Malta, various German States) under French General François Certain de Canrobert, British General FitzRoy James Henry Somerset, 1st Baron Raglan and Ottoman Omar Pasha Latas.

1912: During the First Balkan War, the Battle of Sarandáporon occurs. The Greek Army of Thessaly with five Divisions, reached the Sarandáporon straits which had been extensively fortified by a German mission before the war. The total Ottoman force defending it equalled five Divisions with further 11 infantry battalions in reserve, supported by substantial artillery and three machine-gun companies. The Greek offensive began on the morning of Tuesday, 9 October, with the I, II and III Divisions attacking the Turkish main line frontally, the IV Division attempting a flanking move to the west, in order to bypass the fortifications and thence occupy the Porta straits in the rear of the Turkish positions, while the V Division was ordered to execute an even broader maneuvre. Hassan Tahsin Pasha deployed 9 Infantry battalions (22nd Division), 12 guns and 2 MG companies on the western front. On the central front, 5 Infantry battalions with 10 guns awaited the enemy's advance and on the eastern front 4 Infantry companies, one MG company and 2 cavalry troops had being placed in position fronting the Greeks. The advance of the Greek troops commenced at 06:30 hours (with Gennádes' Evzone Detachment under Colonel Stephanos Gennádes) on open terrain, under Turkish artillery fire (Krupp 75mm) that caused high casualties. The V Division run into stiff resistance, but the IV Division moved quickly and managed to push back the Turkish flank and occupy its designated objective (in this battle IV Division earned the name the winged division). The 9th Evzone Battalion under Major Ioannes Velissaríu attacked the Turkish flank at Deskáte and captured the town. During the night the Ottomans, after becoming aware of the IV Division's flanking move, retreated in order under the cover of the darkness and the heavy rain to avoid being completely encircled. The battle, although not very successful, was nonetheless of major significance to the Greeks. Despite the somewhat clumsy Greek plan, the Greek soldiers performed well, and the victory helped expunge the stain of the 1897 defeat to Ottoman Turkey. Greek losses accounted for 182 killed (18 officers) and 995 (30 officers) wounded. Ottoman casualties were severe. The Battle of Sarandáporon was the first action on the Greek Thessalian theatre of operations during the First Balkan War.

1934: King Alexander I Karadzordzevich, the First King of the Kingdom of Yugoslavia, was assassinated as he was arriving in Marseilles to start a state visit to the Third French Republic, when a gunman, the Bulgarian Vlado Chernozemski, stepped from the street and shot the King and his chauffeur. He was himself killed immediately afterwards. French Foreign Minister Jean Louis Barthou was accidentally shot by a French policeman and died later.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0pyyt_G0U8

1944: The 1st Bulgarian Army (Lt. Gen. Vladimir Stoychev) attacks the German Army along the Bulgaria-Yugoslavia border, towards Niš in Yugoslavia, with Yugoslavian partisans on their left flank and a Soviet force on their right. At this time the First Army consisted of three 10,000-men divisions.
    [IMG]http://i51.*******.com/2dkbx4mdotjpg[/IMG]
    [size=1]General Stoychev took part in the Moscow Victory Parade in June 1945[/size]

1967: A day after being captured, Marxist revolutionary Ernesto "Che" Guevara is executed.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0vHvHmoioE

1970: The République Khmère or Khmer Republic, the ill-fated regime of Cambodia that preceded the establishment of the totalitarian communist state known as Democratic Kampuchea is proclaimed in Cambodia.
    [IMG]http://i52.*******.com/24y4dv5dotjpg[/IMG]

1983: Attempted assassination of South Korean President Chun Doo-hwan during an official visit to Rangoon, Burma. Chun survives but the blast kills 17 of his entourage, including four cabinet ministers, and injures 17 others. Four Burmese officials also die in the blast.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTgP8B-IGug

1999: The last flight of the Lockheed SR-71 "Blackbird" at Edwards AFB.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GwuEx7YYEU

2006: North Korea allegedly tests its first nuclear device.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFviT0Qak60

The world's an oppressive place to live through -yet with a little pride it's worth it

Default October, 10

680: The Battle of Karbala: 72 supporters and relatives of Muhammad's grandson Husayn ibn Ali, were perished (Ali included) by the forces of Yazid ibn Mu‘awiya ibn Abi Sufyan, commonly known as Yazid I, the Umayyad caliph, in Karbala (southwest of Baghdad, present-day Iraq). Shia Muslims commemorate the Battle of Karbala every year in the Islamic month of Muharram. The tenth day of Muharram is called Yaumu-l 'Ashurah, which is known by Shia Muslims as the day of grief, a day of mourning for the martyrdom of Husayn ibn Ali.

[size=1]Husayn ibn Ali's Mosque, on the site of his grave in Karbala, Iraq[/size]

732: The two-day Battle of Poitiers opens. A Carolingian Frankish army, numbering somewhere between 30 - 80,000 men, under the Frankish military and political leader, Charles Martel (=the Hammer), also known as Carolus Martellus, decisively defeated an army of the Umayyad Caliphate, numbering from 25,000 to 80,000 men under the governor of Al-Andalus, Abu Said Abdul Rahman ibn Abdullah ibn Bishr ibn Al Sarem Al 'Aki Al Ghafiqi, commonly known as Abdderrahman. Franks suffered ca 1,100 losses. The Moors lost (according to modern estimates) ca 12,000 men, including Abdderrahman. Many historians claim that had Charles fallen, the Umayyad Caliphate would have easily conquered a divided Europe.
    [IMG]http://i54.*******.com/339mtybdotjpg[/IMG]
    [size=1]Charles Martel, the conqueror of Poitiers[/size]

1471: The Battle of Brunkeberg: A 9-12,000-strong Swedish army under Sten Sture den äldre (=the elder), the regent of Sweden, defeated the 6,000 Danes of the King of Denmark, Christian I. Advocating Swedish secession from the Kalmar Union (=the union of the three kingdoms of Denmark, Norway, and Sweden - including a part of modern day Finland - under a single monarch) Sture's victory over Christian meant his power as viceroy of Sweden was secure and would remain so for the rest of his life.

[size=1]According to legend, Sture had prayed to Saint George before the battle. He later tributed George by commissoning a statue of Saint George and the Dragon carved by the Lübeck sculptor Bernt Notke for the Storkyrkan church in Stockholm, as an obvious allegory of Sture's battle against Christian[/size]

1575: The Battle of Dormans: French Catholic troops under Henri I de Lorraine, 3rd duc de Guise, defeated a Protestant army under Philippe Du-Plessis-Mornay. Mornay was taken prisoner by the Duke of Guise but ransomed for a small sum. Henri de Guise suffered an injury to his face, which earned him the nickname le Balafré (=the scarred).
    [IMG]http://i55.*******.com/1zecy6adotjpg[/IMG]
    [size=1]The victor, Henri de Guise[/size]

1911: The Wuchang Uprising, motivated by anger at corruption in the Qing government, frustration with the government's inability to restrain the interventions of foreign powers, and resentment of the majority Han Chinese toward a government dominated by an ethnic minority (the Manchus), started the Xinhai Revolution, which led to the collapse of the Qing Dynasty and the establishment of the Republic of China (ROC).
    [IMG]http://i53.*******.com/5nn60jdotjpg[/IMG]

1912: During the First Balkan War, the two-day Battle of Kumanovo opens. The Serbian Army with five Divisions, one cavalry Brigade and 148 artillery pieces, was engaged by the ca 65,000 troops (with 164 artillery pieces) of the Ottoman Vardar Army under Zeki Pasha. On the evening of the first day (Wednesday 10 October, O.S.), the Turks began the offensive at Kumanovo (modern-day Kumanova, northeast of Skopje, FYROM) attacking the Serbian positions (Danube Division I), 8 km (5 miles) distant. The Ottoman onslaught was checked with severe loss on both sides. At 01:00 hours of Thursday 11 October, the Serbs approached the Turkish entrenchment and fought for two hours. The country was open and although exposed to heavy artillery they stormed the Turkish positions repeatedly driving out the Turks in a hand-to-hand combat. Many dropped their rifles and used their knives or bayonets. The Serbs by noon had cleared Lobovkas valley and Kumanovo while the Turks withdrew 15 km (9 miles). Serbs suffered 687 killed, 3,280 wounded, 597 missing. Ottomans lost ca 4,200 killed or wounded (some of the Turkish officers wounded proved to be Germans), 327 made prisoners. The Battle of Kumanovo was the first action on the Serbian theatre of operations during the First Balkan War.
    [IMG]http://i52.*******.com/6iabswdotjpg[/IMG]
    [size=1]Commemorative medal for the First Balkan War of the Kingdom of Serbia[/size]

1941: The 250. Infanterie-Division, commonly known as División Azul (=Blue Division) (Maj. Gen. Agustín Muñoz Grandes), made up of Spanish volunteers and formed within days of the German attack on the Soviet Union, goes into action against the Soviets for the first time in the sector between Lake Illmen and the west bank of the Volkhov river. General Zhukov is put in charge of the West Front for the defence of Moscow. Heeresgruppe Süd (=Army Group South) (Gen. Friessner) concludes the battle along the Sea of Azov and takes 100,000 prisoners.
    [IMG]http://i54.*******.com/avqts8dotjpg[/IMG]
    [size=1]Men of the 263rd Regiment of the Spanish División Azul[/size]

1943: The Kempeitai - Japanese Military Police - arrested and tortured fifty-seven civilians and civilian internees on suspicion of their involvement in a raid on Singapore Harbour that had been carried out by Anglo-Australian commandos. After the war ended, twenty-one of the Kempeitai involved were charged with war crimes. Eight received the death sentence, seven were acquitted, and the remainder were given prison sentences varying from one year to life.

[size=1]Kempeitai is the term used to describe the infamous Japanese military police, which often accompanied Japanese invasion forces to carry out the transition to a Japanese controlled government[/size]

1985: United States Navy F-14 fighter jets intercept an Egyptian plane carrying the Achille Lauro cruise ship hijackers and force it to land at a NATO base in Sigonella, Sicily where they are arrested by the Italians after a disagreement between American and Italian authorities: Italian Prime Minister Bettino Craxi claimed Italian territorial rights over the NATO base and there was a standoff, between the U.S. and Italy, because the U.S. had only informed the Italians minutes before the intercept.
    [IMG]http://i54.*******.com/nfgrbddotjpg[/IMG]
    [size=1]The former Achille Lauro American hostages depart from Germany for the US[/size]

Default October, 11

1531: During the Second war of Kappel (an armed conflict between the Protestant and the Catholic cantons of the Old Swiss Confederacy), the Battle of Kappel occurs. The Catholic cantons decisively defeated the forces of Zürich at Kappel am Albis, a municipality in the district of Affoltern in the canton of Zürich in Switzerland. The Zürich troops were without support from allied cantons, and Huldrych Zwingli, a leader of the Reformation in Switzerland, led them rather inexpertly, and was killed on the battlefield, along with twenty-four other protestant pastors. Zwingli was among the 500 casualties in the Zürich army.

1649: During the Eleven Years' War (a conflict in Ireland that pitted the native Irish Catholics against English and Scottish Protestant colonists and their supporters) the Sack of Wexford occurs. After a ten-day siege, English Parliamentarians (under Oliver Cromwell) stormed the town of Wexford, killing over 2,000 Irish troops and 1,500 civilians. Much of the town was burned and its harbour was destroyed.

1899: The Second Boer War, fought between the British Empire and the Dutch-speaking Boer inhabitants of the two independent Boer republics, the Transvaal Republic and the Orange Free State, begins, with a Boer offensive into the British-held Natal and Cape Colony areas.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

1912: During the First Balkan War, the Battle of Kirkkilisse occurs. On the night of 10 October, an Ottoman column consisting of infantry, cavalry and volunteers under Mahmud Mukhtar Pasha, moved in a northerly direction from Kirkkilisse (modern-day Kırklareli in the European part of Turkey) threatened to split the 1st (Lt. Gen. Vasil Kutinchev) and 3rd (Lt. Gen. Radko Dimitriev) Bulgarian armies. The Turkish vanguard came in contact with the Bulgarians at dawn of 11 October and it was then found that the enemy was in overwhelming strength. The Turkish cavalry attempted to charge the Bulgarians (1st Sofia and 2nd Preslav brigades) but were punished and fled. Their rout created panic amongst infantry who began to withdraw. It was the 2nd Division of the Konstantiniye Corps that ultimately stemed the rout. Approximately 90,000 Turks engaged in the battle, but only a division and a half defended Kirkkilisse itself. At noon, Kirkkilisse was in Bulgarian hands. After the victory, the French minister of war Alexandre Millerand stated that the Bulgarian Army was the best in Europe. Bulgarians suffered ca 4,000 killed or wounded. Ottoman casualties were similarly heavy. Two hundred Ottomans of the rank and file were shot for cowardice. The Bulgarians captured 58 artillery pieces and two airplanes.

1942: The two-day Naval Battle of Cape Esperance, begins. A Japanese naval force, comprised 3 cruisers and two destroyers, under Rear Admiral Aritomo Goto as it approached Savo Island near Guadalcanal with the objective to bombard the Allied airfield on Guadalcanal, was intercepted by a U.S force of four cruisers and five destroyers, under the command of Rear Admiral Norman Scott. The Japanes were taken by surprise and Scott's warships sank one of Goto's cruisers and one of his destroyers, heavily damaged another cruiser, mortally wounded Goto, and forced the rest of his warships to abandon the bombardment mission.

[size=1]Rear Admiral Scott, a posthumously MoH recipient (left) and Rear Admiral Goto[/size]

1943: A German section of ca 20 men is ambushed near the Thessalian town of Trikala, by an ELAS (=Greek People's Liberation Army) coy. After a fierce battle, the insurgents withdraw with an officer and a guerilla killed. All twenty of the Germans, perished.

1944: Hungarian forces in the Romanian city of Cluj-Napoca are defeated by the Soviet and Romanian armies. Hungary and the Soviet Union begin negotiations for a ceasefire.

[size=1]Hungarians of the 22nd SS Volunteer Cavalry Division Maria Theresia, manning a PaK-40[/size]

1976: George Washington's appointment, posthumously, to the grade of General of the Armies of the United States by congressional joint resolution Public Law 94-479 is approved by President Gerald R. Ford.

1987: During the Sri Lankan Civil War, Operation Pawan a codename assigned to the operations by the Indian Peace Keeping Force to enforce the disarmament of the LTTE as a part of the Indo-Sri Lankan Accord, begin. In brutal fighting that took about three weeks, the IPKF took control of the Jaffna Peninsula from the LTTE rule, something that the Sri Lankan army had tried and failed to achieve for several years.

Default October, 15

533: General Belisarius enters triumphally into Carthage, having conquered it from the Vandals.

[size=1]Belisarius dressed as "Θριαμβευτής" (thriamveutḗs, Greek for vir triumphalis, man of triumph), wearing his ceremonial panoply[/size]

1813: Napoleon Bonaparte begins his exile on Saint Helena in the Atlantic Ocean.
    [IMG]http://i54.*******.com/53ssyadotjpg[/IMG]

1894: Captain Alfred Dreyfus, a young French artillery officer of Alsatian Jewish descent, is arrested for spying in what later proved to be a political scandal that divided France in the 1890s and the early 1900s. The famous and influential French writer, Émile François Zola, wrote an open letter to the President of France, published on January 13, 1898, in the newspaper "L'Aurore", under the title J' Accuse (I Accuse), accusing the highest levels of the French Army of obstruction of justice and antisemitism by having wrongfully convicted Alfred Dreyfus to life imprisonment on Devil's Island, based on fabrications.
    [IMG]http://i54.*******.com/v5zv2sdotjpg[/IMG]

WWI-1917: At Vincennes outside of Paris, Dutch exotic dancer Mata Hari (real name, Margaretha-Geertruida Zelle) is executed by firing squad for spying for the German Empire.
    [IMG]http://i52.*******.com/2iub57rdotjpg[/IMG]

1934: The Chinese Soviet Republic collapses after Chiang-Kai Shek's Kuomintang captures the county-city Ruijin, seat of the CSR central government, forcing the fleeing Communists to begin the Long March, the massive military retreat undertaken by the Red Army of the Chinese Communist Party, to evade the pursuit of the Kuomintang army.
    [IMG]http://i53.*******.com/2dsnw2cdotjpg[/IMG]

1944: The Hungarian chief of state, Admiral Miklós Horthy, shortly after announcing Hungary's withdrawal from the war against the USSR, is taken prisoner by a commando unit led by SS Sturmbannführer (=Major) Otto Skorzeny. A new government under Ferenc Szalasi vows to continue the alliance with Germany.
    [IMG]http://i56.*******.com/6to96bdotjpg[/IMG]
    [size=1]Admiral Miklós Horthy, Regent of the Kingdom of Hungary, during an official visit to Hitler's Germany[/size]

1944: Greek Sacred Band's, Alpha Squadron after a three-day battle liberate the island of Naxos, in the Cyclades. 69 German troops made prisoners.

[size=1]Sacred Band's Crest. This Crest was (1916 - 1918) the Greek WWI Cross, a design of the French sculptor André Rivaud. Sacred Band's motto, was the phrase: E Tan, e Epi Tas (Either it, or upon it), the wish given from the ancient Sparta's mothers to their sons in war times. Literally, it means, either you will return home carrying your shield, victorious, or you'll return carried on the shield, dead[/size]

1946: Hermann Göring committed suicide with a potassium cyanide capsule the night before he was to be hanged. Because he committed suicide, his dead body was displayed by the gallows for the witnesses of the executions.
    [IMG]http://i53.*******.com/16o00mdotjpg[/IMG]

1953: British nuclear test Totem 1 detonated at Emu Field, South Australia.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lr-t12UTrQk

Default October, 16

456: The Germanic General and Magister Militum (=Master of Troops, Supreme Commander), Flavius Ricimer, defeated the Gallic-Roman Emperor of the Western Empire, Eparchius Avitus, in Placentia (modern-day Piacenza, Italy) and becomes master of the Western Roman Empire. The Emperor and his army entered the city and attacked the huge army led by Ricimer, but after a great massacre of his men, Avitus fled. Ricimer decided to spare the life of the defeated Emperor; he deposed Avitus and obliged him to become Bishop of Placentia.
    [IMG]http://i56.*******.com/ibl9bcdotgif[/IMG]

1793: During the French Revolutionary Wars, the two-day Battle of Wattignies opens. A 45,000-strong French army under the overall command of Jean-Baptiste Jourdan, 1st Comte Jourdan and Lazare Nicolas Marguerite, Comte Carnot (commander of French columns on the Northern Front), defeated the 30,000-strong Habsburg army led by Prince Frederick Josias of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld. French losses numbered 5,000 killed, wounded, and missing, plus 27 artillery pieces captured. The Austrians suffered 2,500 killed and wounded, while an additional 500 men were captured.
    [IMG]http://i52.*******.com/2ug2fchdotjpg[/IMG]
    [size=1]The conqueror of Wattignies, Jean-Baptiste Jourdan[/size]

1813: During the War of the Sixth Coalition, the three-day Battle of Leipzig, opens. A 195,000-strong, Imperial Napoleonic army, comprised Poles under Prince Józef Antoni Poniatowski, the Poles and Saxons of Frederick Augustus I of Saxony, and the French under the overall command of Emperor Napoleon I, with 700 cannon, was defeated by the 430,000-strong allied army under Field Marshal Karl Philipp, Prince of Schwarzenberg, consisting of troops from the Habsburg Empire, Swedes under Charles XIV John Bernadotte of Sweden, the Prussians of Gebhard Leberecht von Blücher and the Russians of Prince Michael Andreas Barclay de Tolly and Leonty Leontyevich Count von Bennigsen, with 1,500 cannon. The battle involved over 600,000 soldiers, making it the largest battle in Europe prior to WWI. It was one of the most decisive defeats suffered by Napoleon I. Napoleon lost about 38,000 killed and wounded. The Allies captured 36,000 French, 325 cannon and 28 eagles, standards or colours. Among the dead was Prince Poniatowski, a nephew to the last king of Poland, Stanisław August Poniatowski. The Allies suffered approximately 54,000 casualties. The battle ended the First French Empire's presence east of the Rhine and brought the German states over to the Coalition. The Coalition pressed its advantage and invaded France in early 1814. Napoleon was forced from the throne of France and exiled to the island of Elba.

[size=1]Painting by January Suchodolski illustrating Poniatowski's death in the Battle of Leipzig[/size]

1941: The Soviet major seaport located on the northwest shore of the Black Sea, Odessa (today's Odesa, Ukraine) falls to the Romanians after a Soviet evacuation by sea. During the two-month siege, the Romanians have suffered 98,000 casualties.

[size=1]Romanian infantry in Odessa[/size]

1944: The Red Army enters German territory near Goldap in East Prussia. Thousands of German civilians flee the area in panic.
    [IMG]http://i55.*******.com/a4bqswdotjpg[/IMG]

1944: Greek Sacred Band's Alpha Raider Squadron (i.e. Alpha Commando Battalion), under Col. Themistocles Ketseas, raid the N. Aegean island of Lemnos. Lemnos is liberated after a two-day battle. Dozens of Germans are killed, wounded or held prisoners.

[size=1]Colonel Themistocles Ketseas[/size]

1949: Nikos Zakhariádes, leader of the Communist Party of Greece, announces a temporary cease-fire, effectively ending the Greek Civil War.
    [IMG]http://i55.*******.com/zo9hlwdotjpg[/IMG]
    [size=1]Nikólaos "Nikos" Zakhariádes[/size]

1964: People's Republic of China conducts its first nuclear weapons test (Project 596). It was a U-235 implosion fission device and had a yield of 22 kilotons. With the test, China became the fifth nuclear power.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xoHbBkUGSQ

1975: The Balibo Five, a group of journalists for Australian television networks, comprised two Australians, a New Zealander and two Britons, based in the town of Balibo in the then Portuguese Timor (now Timor Leste), were killed during Indonesian incursions prior to the invasion of Portuguese Timor by Indonesia. In 2007, an Australian coroner ruled that they had been deliberately killed by Indonesian special force soldiers.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkjqkxqVbag

1986: The IAF fighter pilot and weapon systems officer, Cpt. (now Lt. Col.) Ron Arad, is captured by Lebanese Shi'ite militia Amal. He is officially classified as MIA since October 1986, but widely presumed dead.
    [IMG]http://i55.*******.com/107qh5xdotjpg[/IMG]

1993: The President of the Republic of Cyprus, Glaukos Clerides and Greek PM, Andreas Papandreou, agree in Athens, Greece, for the creation of a joint defence doctrine, encompassing Cyprus as part of a Common Defence Doctrine with Greece. Any attack on Cyprus was tantamount to an attack on Greece.
    [IMG]http://i55.*******.com/2nb7jvcdotjpg[/IMG]

Default October, 17

539 BC: King Cyrus the Great of Persia, marches into the city of Babylon, releasing the Jews from almost 70 years of exile and making the first Human Rights Declaration. The charter, a baked-clay cylinder, with Old Persian cuneiform script, was discovered in 1878 in Babylon. In it, Cyrus the Great described his human treatment of the inhabitants of Babylonia after its conquest by the Persians. The document has been hailed as the first charter of human rights, and in 1971 a translation of it was published, under the ægis of the UN, in all the official UN languages.
    [IMG]http://i54.*******.com/s10ndedotjpg[/IMG]
    [size=1]...Today, I announce that everyone is free to choose a religion. People are free to live in all regions and take up a job provided that they never violate other's rights. I prevent slavery and my governors and subordinates are obliged to prohibit exchanging men and women as slaves within their own ruling domains... - Cyrus the Great[/size]

1396: During the Second War of Scottish Independence, the Battle of Neville's Cross occurs. 12,000 Scots under their King, David II, invaded England and were defeated by an English army of some 3 - 4,000 men from Cumberland, Northumberland and Lancashire, with another 3,000 Yorkshiremen en route, mobilised under the supervision of William de la Zouche, Archbishop of York and led by Ralph Neville 2nd Baron Neville de Raby and Henry de Percy 9th Baron Percy, 2nd Baron of Alnwick. Scottish chroniclers Andrew of Wyntoun and Walter Bower both wrote that 1,000 Scots were killed in the battle, while according to the Chronicle of Lanercost, few English were killed.
    [IMG]http://i52.*******.com/152gutwdotjpg[/IMG]

1448: During the Ottoman Wars in Europe, the three-day, Second Battle of Kosovo begins. A coalition army of ca 24,000 men from the Kingdom of Hungary and Wallachia, under John Hunyadi, also known as Ioannes Corvinus, was defeated by an up to 60,000-strong Ottoman army under the Ottoman Sultan, Murad II. Ottomans suffered 34,000 killed or wounded. The Hungarians lost almost 75% of their force.
    [IMG]http://i54.*******.com/ab418odotjpg[/IMG]
    [size=1]The victor, Murad II[/size]

1777: British General John Burgoyne surrenders his sword to American General Horatio Lloyd Gates, only to have it returned. Burgoyne's army - ca 6,000-strong - marched out to surrender their arms while the American musicians played Yankee Doodle. The British acknowledge defeat in the Battle of Saratoga.
    [IMG]http://i53.*******.com/vwwgohdotjpg[/IMG]

1781: British Major General, Charles, Earl Cornwallis, offers his surrender to the American revolutionists at Yorktown, Virginia.
    [IMG]http://i54.*******.com/2q1zc5kdotjpg[/IMG]

1797: The Treaty of Campoformido, is signed by Napoleon Bonaparte and Count Johann Ludwig Joseph von Cobenzl as representatives of France and Austria. It marked the collapse of the First Coalition, the victorious conclusion to Napoleon's campaigns in Italy and the end of the first phase of the French Revolutionary Wars. Austria received Dalmatia, Istria and the city of Venice, France ceded the Ionian Islands.

[size=1]Commemorative medal for the Treaty of Campoformido, with the portrait of the young revolutionary general, Napoleon Bonaparte[/size]

1827: During the Greek War of Independence, the French veteran of the Napoleonic wars and Philhellene, Charles Nicolas Fabvier, commanding Greek regular and irregular units, as well as many armed Chians, land and liberate the island of Chios.
    [IMG]http://i52.*******.com/2pydm55dotjpg[/IMG]
    [size=1]Charles Nicolas Fabvier...[/size]

[IMG]http://i53.*******.com/2drazbodotjpg[/IMG]
    [size=1]...in July 1825 formed the first Greek regular infantry unit, known to the Greek revolutionaries as Fabvier's tactical, based on French Réglement concernant l'exercice et les manoeuvres de l'infanterie (Regulations concerning Infantry exercises and maneuvres) of 1818[/size]

1941: Destroyer USS "Kearny" (DD-432), while escorting convoy SC-48, is torpedoed and damaged by German submarine off Iceland. For the first time in WWII, a German submarine attacks an American ship.
    [IMG]http://i55.*******.com/2qslxdvdotjpg[/IMG]

1941: Two companies of German troops, raze to the ground the villages of Ano Kerdylia and Kato Kerdylia in the prefecture of Serres, Eastern Macedonia, Greece, and massacre 235 male inhabitants, 130 from Ano Kerdylia, 105 from Kato Kerdylia, as reprisal for the killing of one German soldier.
    [IMG]http://i51.*******.com/245ww84dotjpg[/IMG]
    [size=1]The memorial to the massacred Kerdylians[/size]

1943: During military operations in Aegean after the surrender of Italian forces, Greek destroyer RHNS "Miaoules" (L91) (Lt. Cdr. Niketiades) and British destroyer HMS "Hursley" (L84) (Lt. Church) attack and sink the German submarine chaser UJ2109 (Ex-British minesweeper of Hunt class) and badly damage the transport "Trapani" (1000 t).
    [IMG]http://i53.*******.com/15zpc95dotjpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i52.*******.com/2166pgdotjpg[/IMG]
    [size=1]The Miaoules (left) and the Hursley[/size]

1961: During the Algerian War, scores of Algerian protesters (from 200 to 325) are massacred when the Paris police at the instigation of Nazi collaborator Maurice Papon, then chief of the Prefecture of Police, attacked an illegal but peaceful demonstration of some 30,000 pro-FLN Algerians.
    [IMG]http://i51.*******.com/292yazqdotjpg[/IMG]
    [size=1]A memorial plaque for Algerians massacred on 17 October, 1961[/size]

Default October, 20

1740: Following her father's death, Maria Theresia Walburga Amalia Christina takes the throne of Austria. France, Prussia, Bavaria and Saxony refuse to recognise Maria Theresia as heiress and the War of the Austrian Succession begins.

[size=1]Empress Maria Theresia was the sovereign of Austria, Hungary, Croatia, Bohemia, Mantua, Milan, Lodomeria and Galicia, the Austrian Netherlands, and Parma. By marriage, she was Duchess of Lorraine, Grand Duchess of Tuscany, and Holy Roman Empress. She reigned for 40 years[/size]

1883: The Treaty of Ancón, signed by Chile and Peru in the Ancón District near Lima, ends the War of the Pacific. Under the treaty's terms, Chile gained control over the province of Tarapacá.
    [IMG]http://i55.*******.com/mw796wdotjpg[/IMG]

1941: As a direct reprisal for the German losses in the attack by Communist Partisans on German soldiers near Gornji Milanovac, Yugoslavia, German troops rounded up thousands of Kragujevac (today's Kragujevac in Serbia) male inhabidants aged 16 - 60. The massacre started at 6 PM on 20 October and lasted for two days. People were shot in groups of 400. The number of people massacred ranged between 2,300 - 7,000. Franz Böhme, the Commanding General in Serbia, charged with war crimes committed in Serbia, was brought before the Hostages Trial, a division of the Subsequent Nuremberg Trials. He committed suicide by jumping from the 4th floor of the prison he was being held in.
    [IMG]http://i52.*******.com/2dtoimudotjpg[/IMG]

1944: The Red Army liberates Belgrade, Yugoslavia (modern-day Belgrade, Serbia).
    [IMG]http://i51.*******.com/jrb8fldotjpg[/IMG]
    [size=1]Soviets enter Belgrade[/size]

1944: General Douglas MacArthur fulfills his promise to return to the Philippines. The U.S. Sixth Army (Lt. Gen. Krueger) landings in the Philippines begin on the East Coast of Leyte, but the 60,000 men sent ashore encounter stiff Japanese resistance.

1950: PRC's, PVA (People's Volunteer Army) secretly move four 30,000-man field armies across the Yalu River into North Korea. Three of the armies are in western North Korea to face the Americans and South Korean soldiers streaming up from Pyongyang. The fourth is in the east. Preparations are underway to move two more armies into North Korea in October.

[size=1]PVA crossing the Yalu River[/size]

1972: During the Vietnam War, a series of racial incidents broke out, on the United States Navy aircraft carrier USS "Kitty Hawk" (CVA-63) off the coast of Vietnam, wherein (according to a Report by the Special Subcommittee on Disciplinary Problems in the US Navy 92nd Cong., 2d sess., 1973, H.A.S.C. 92-81), "...a group of blacks, armed with chains, wrenches, bars, broomsticks and other dangerous weapons, went marauding through sections of the ship disobeying orders to cease, terrorizing the crew, and seeking out white personnel for senseless beating with fists and with weapons which resulted in extremely serious injury to three men and the medical treatment of many more, including some blacks".

Anyone else heard of this? Wow a modern day mutiny. I guess when you have had enough......

Valtrex this is a great thread. Thanks

Default October, 24

69: During the Year of the Four Emperors (in 69 AD, four emperors ruled in a remarkable succession - Galba, Otho, Vitellius, and Vespasi**** - following Nero's suicide), the Second Battle of Bedriacum occurs. Legions III Gallica, VIII Augusta, VII Claudia, VII Galbiana and XIII Gemina under Marcus Antonius Primus, the commander of the Danube armies, loyal to Titus Flavius Vespasi****, defeated the Legions XXI Rapax, V Alaudæ, I Italica and XXII Primigenia, loyal to Emperor Aulus Vitellius Germanicus, near the village of Bedriacum (modern-day Calvatone), about 35 km (20 miles) from the town of Cremona in northern Italy. Following his victory, Antonius attacked Cremona itself, which surrendered. Antonius continued to Rome, where Vitellius was taken prisoner and shortly afterwards killed. The way was thus cleared for Vespasi**** to ascend the throne near the end of the year.
    [img]http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/5545/vespasi****03pushkindotjpg[/img]
    [size=1]Titus Flavius Vespasi****[/size]

1360: The Treaty of Brétigny signed by King Edward III of England and King John II (the Good) of France, ended the first phase of the Hundred Years' War. In 1369, on the pretext that Edward III had failed to observe the terms of the treaty of Brétigny, the king of France declared war once again.

1648: The signing of the Peace of Westphalia of 1648 at Münster and Osnabrück ended the Thirty Years' War and Eighty Years' War and was one of the foundations upon which modern Europe was built. It also guaranteed the future of the prince-bishop and the diocese; Münster was to be exclusively Roman Catholic.

[size=1]Europe after the Peace of Westphalia[/size]

1795: With the Third Partition of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, Poland is divided between Russia, Prussia and Austria, the Polish state is erased from the map.

1690: During the War of the Grand Alliance (fought from 1688 - 1697 between King Louis XIV of France, and a European-wide coalition, the Grand Alliance, led by the Anglo-Dutch Stadtholder-King William III, Holy Roman Emperor Leopold I, King Charles II of Spain, Victor Amadeus II of Savoy, and the major and minor princes of the Holy Roman Empire) the Battle of Québec concludes with the exchange of prisoners. A militia army of 2,000 from New France (a territory extended from Newfoundland to the Rocky Mountains and from Hudson Bay to the Gulf of Mexico) under Louis de Buade, Comte de Frontenac et de Palluau, defeated a British army of some 2,300 men comprised British regulars and Massachusetts Bay Colony militia (including 60 natives) under Sir William Phips in a week-long battle. The Anglo-American colonial force failed to seize Québec from the French.

1812: During the French Invasion to Russia, the Battle of Maloyaroslavets occurs. A Russian army of 12,000 infantry, 3,000 cavalry and 84 cannon, under General Dmitry Sergeyevich Dokhturov, surprised the 20,000 French and Italians of Napoleon's stepson, Eugène Rose de Beauharnais, Prince Français, Prince of Venice, Viceroy of the Kingdom of Italy, Hereditary Grand Duke of Frankfurt, 1st Duke of Leuchtenberg and 1st Prince of Eichstätt ad personam, and General Alexis Joseph Delzons. Their Corps was leading Napoleon's army during the Moscow evacuation. Upon arrival of Marshal Mikhail Illarionovich Kutuzov's Corps numbering some additional 10,000, Beauharnais' Corps turned and continued its retreat Northwards. French casualties were about 5,000, including Delzons killed, while the Russians lost 6,000.

1912: During the First Balkan War, the week-long Battle of Pente-Peghádhia opens. A Greek force of barely 8,000 troops comprised the 15th Infantry Regiment and five independent battalions, supported by 24 field guns, under Lt. Gen. Constantine Sapuntzákes, engaged the 7,000 troops of the Ottoman 23rd Division, with 32 guns, under Esat Pasha, at Pente-Peghádhia, near the Epirotan town of Preveza. Esat Pasha, having set up his headquarters at Pente-Peghádhia, began an attack against the Greek positions with 5 battalions. Due to bad weather and the early onset of snow, the attack petered out to local actions, which ended with the Ottoman withdrawal seven days later. The Greeks suffered 26 dead and 222 wounded. Ottoman casualties are unknown. The battle of Pente-Peghádhia was the first major action on the Greek secondary theatre of operations, in Epirus, during the First Balkan War.
    [IMG]http://i55.*******.com/2regrd5dotjpg[/IMG]

1912: During the First Balkan War, the two-day Battle of Amyntæon concludes. While the Greek 5th Infantry Division (Maj. Gen. Mathiopulos) was advancing northwards, towards Bitola, they were surprised near Veve by an attack of the Ottoman VI Corps (part of the Vardar Army with the 16th, 17th and 18th Nizamiye divisions), which was retreating following the battle of Prilepe with the Serbs. The Greeks, isolated from the rest of Greek army and outnumbered by the now counterattacking Turks, fell back towards Amyntæon, leaving Bitola to be eventually captured by the Serbs. The Greek Division suffered 168 dead, 196 wounded; 10 made prisoners. The battle is an evidence of the consequences of the lack of any coordination between the allies, during the First Balkan War.
    [IMG]http://i54.*******.com/282p6qcdotjpg[/IMG]

WWI-1917: The Twelfth Battle of the Isonzo, commonly known as Battle of Caporetto, ends in Italian failure. Austro-German forces breakthrough at Caporetto on Italian front. The Central Powers' offensive began at approximately 02:00 hours with 15 divisions and 2,213 artillery under Austro-Hungarian Field Marshal Svetozar Boroević von Bojna and German General Otto von Below against the 25 Italian divisions with 2,200 artillery, under Field Marshal Luigi Cadorna and General Luigi Capello. Italian losses were enormous: 11,000 were killed, 20,000 wounded and 265,000 were taken prisoner; morale was so low amongst the Italians, mainly due to Cadorna's harsh disciplinary regime, that most of these surrendered willingly. Furthermore, roughly 3,000 guns, 3,000 machine guns and 2,000 mortars were captured. Austrians and Germans lost ca 20,000 killed or wounded.

1930: A bloodless coup d'état in Brazil ousts Washington Luís Pereira de Sousa, the last President of the First Republic. Getúlio Dornelles Vargas is then installed as "provisional president."

1944: The allies cross the Saar near the Franco-German border. Troops of the French First Army (General Jean de Lattre de Tassigny) capture Mulhouse/Mühlhausen in Alsace, while the French 2nd Armoured Division (General Philippe Leclerc) takes Strasbourg.
    Last edited by valtrex; 10-24-2010 at 05:27 AM. Reason: forgot Amyntæon

Default October, 25

1147: During the Second Crusade, the four-month Siege of Lisbon ended with the expelling of its Moorish overlords and its fall to Ibn-Arrik el-Bortukali (=Arabic for "Son of Henry the Portuguese", king Afonso I Henriques). The Portuguese under their king Afonso I and Crusaders from England and Flanders marked one of the few Christian victories of the Second Crusade.

[size=1]Statue of Dom Afonso I Henriques in Guimarães[/size]

1147: During the Second Crusade, a crusader army of some 20,000 under Conrad III of Germany, while stopped at Dorylæum to rest, was suprisingly attacked by the Seljuqs under the sultan of the Seljuqs of Rum Masud I and annihilated. Conrad and most of the knights escaped, but most of the foot soldiers were killed or captured. The remaining 2,000 men of the German army limped on to Nicæa, where many of the survivors deserted and tried to return home.
    [IMG]http://i53.*******.com/2f09387dotjpg[/IMG]
    [size=1]The victor, Sultan Masud I[/size]

1415: During the Hundred Years' War, the Battle of Agincourt occurs, on Saint Crispin's Day. A 6 - 7,000-strong English army under king Henry V of England, defeated the ca 36,000 French led by the Constable of France, Charles d'Albret. The battle is notable for the use of the English longbow, which Henry used in very large numbers, with English and Welsh longbowmen forming the vast majority of his army. The French suffered heavily. Three dukes, at least eight counts, a viscount and an archbishop died, including d'Albret. French sources give 4 - 10,000 French dead, with up to 1,600 English dead. Henry eventually was recognised by the French in the Treaty of Troyes (1420) as the regent and heir to the French throne.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsRTWPJ7oJI
    [size=1]Laurence Olivier - St Crispin's Day Speech from "Henry V" by William Shakespeare[/size]

1747: During the War of the Austrian Succession, the Second Naval Battle of Cape Finisterre occurs. A Royal Navy fleet of fourteen ships of the line commanded by Rear-Admiral Edward Hawke, 1st Baron Hawke intercepted a French convoy protected by eight French ships of the line commanded by Admiral Desherbiers de l'Etenduère, between Ireland and Cape Finisterre in northwest Spain. The British overhauled the French line and enveloped it from rear to van, capturing six ships. The French also lost 4,000 men. The British lost 154 killed, 558 wounded.
    [IMG]http://i53.*******.com/2unzr5gdotjpg[/IMG]

1854: During the Crimean War, the Battle of Balaclava occurs. An Anglo-French force of some 4,500 troops, supported by 26 arty pieces, under FitzRoy James Henry Somerset, 1st Baron Raglan and François Certain de Canrobert, were attacked by the 25,000 Russians of General Pavel Petrovich Liprandi, at the southern Crimean port of Balaclava. The battle is famous for one of the most ill-fated events in British military history: The Charge of the Light Brigade, a disastrous charge of British cavalry led by Lt. Gen. James Thomas Brudenell, 7th Earl of Cardigan, against Russian forces. The brigade was not completely destroyed, but did suffer terribly, with 118 men killed, 127 wounded and about 60 taken prisoner. The overall allied losses accounted for 615. The Russians suffered 627 killed or wounded.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzpW3u8XR6s
    [size=1]Alfred Lord Tennyson's famous poem, The charge of the Light Brigade[/size]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2G5rfPISIwo
    [size=1]The Iron Maiden song "The Trooper" is about the Battle of Balaclava in 1854 during the Crimean War, and is at least partially based upon Alfred Lord Tennyson's poem The Charge of the Light Brigade, taking the viewpoint of one of the slain troopers[/size]

1912: During the First Balkan War, the Greeks after the victory at Yenidze, neared their goal of Thessaloniki, the largest city of Macedonia and the port for the entire region. Hasan Tahsin Pasha, CO of the city's Ottoman garrison agreed to Greek terms of capitulation and 26,000 Ottoman troops passed over into Greek captivity.
    [IMG]http://i53.*******.com/oumrs2dotjpg[/IMG]

1917: The October Revolution, the second part of the Russian revolution, takes place on 25 October (O.S.). The revolution overthrew the Russian Provisional Government and gave the power to the local soviet dominated by Bolsheviks.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMGrIwLj7gU
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdpEaPxNW0g
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mReH_vgrf-U

1983: Operation Urgent Fury: A combined force of about 7,600 troops from the United States, Jamaica and members of the Regional Security System (Antigua and Barbuda, Barbados, Dominica, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines) invade Grenada, six days after Prime Minister Maurice Bishop and several of his supporters are executed in a coup d'état. The invasion, which commenced at 05:00 hours, was the first major operation conducted by the U.S. military since the Vietnam War. The invading forces encountered about 1,500 Grenadian soldiers and about 700 Cubans. The invasion was criticized by the United Kingdom, Canada and the United Nations General Assembly, which condemned it as "a flagrant violation of international law". The US suffered 19 killed,116 wounded. The Cubano-Grenadian force suffered 70 killed (25 Cubans), 417 wounded (59 Cubans); 638 made prisoners. 24 civilians perished.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-veqSKL_Gyw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BS1GUTY4Oc
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U11TZaknpVY
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuqoucuDSUk
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsGnyBQNMW0

Default October, 27

1644: During the English Civil War, the Second Battle of Newbury occurs. The combined armies of Parliament comprised 7,000 cavalry, 12,000 infantry under Robert Devereux, 3rd Earl of Essex, inflicted a tactical defeat on the Royalist army consisting of 3,500 cavalry, 5,000 infantry, under king Charles I of England, but failed to gain any strategic advantage. Casualties in the day's fighting were heavy, but roughly even on both sides.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

1822: During the Greek War for Independence, two warships and two fire ships under Constantine Canáres (or Kanáris) attacked an Ottoman fleet of warships anchored in Bozcaada (a N. Aegean Turkish island near the Anatolian coast) and sunk the flag ship with all hands on board.

[size=1]Admiral Constantine Canáres as PM of Greece in 1870's[/size]

1870: During the Franco-Prussian War, the Siege of Metz ends. French General François Achille Bazaine, surrenders his ca 190,000-strong army to Prince Friedrich Karl Nicolaus of Prussia.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8kCzrIRXww
    [size=1]The siege is commended by the Siegesmarsch von Metz which uses parts of the Die Wacht am Rhein (=The Watch on the Rhine)[/size]

WWI-1914: While Vice Admiral Warrender's Second Battle Squadron, consisting of the "super-dreadnoughts" HMS "Centurion" (1911) (flagship), HMS "Ajax" (1912), HMS "Audacious" (1912), HMS "King George V" (1911), HMS "Orion" (1910), HMS "Monarch" (1911) and HMS "Thunderer" (1911) was out of port on a gunnery exercise, the British super-dreadnought battleship Audacious (23,400 tons), is sunk off Tory Island, north-west of Ireland, by a minefield laid by the armed German merchant-cruiser Berlin.

[size=1]Audacious is sinking[/size]

1916: During an Ethiopian coup d'état, the Battle of Segale occurs. Negus Mikael, marching on the Ethiopian capital in support of his son and legitimate Emperor Iyasus V, is defeated by Fitawrari abte Giyorgis, securing the throne for Empress Zewditu.
    [IMG]http://i56.*******.com/9a1cpjdotjpg[/IMG]
    [size=1]Empress Zewditu I of Ethiopia[/size]

1941: The Soviets launch numerous counter-attacks around Moscow in an attempt to halt the German advance. 11. Armee (Generalfeldmarschall Erich von Manstein) forces a breakthrough at Perekop, the isthmus connecting Crimea to the Ukrainian mainland, thus opening the gate to the Crimean peninsula.
    [IMG]http://i54.*******.com/bgxr43dotjpg[/IMG]

1942: The two-day Naval Battle of Santa Cruz ends. It was the fourth major naval engagement fought between the United States Navy and the Imperial Japanese Navy during the lengthy and strategically important Guadalcanal campaign. One U.S. aircraft carrier, USS "Hornet" (CV-8), is sunk and another aircraft carrier, USS "Enterprise" (CV-6), is heavily damaged.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QvNQS7HLYE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CSbVfRo_h0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsQT-Gs4VhU

1953: British nuclear test Totem 2 is carried out at Emu Field, South Australia.

1962: During the Cuban Missile Crisis, a USAF's U-2 reconnaissance airplane piloted by Major Rudolf Anderson Jr. is shot down in Cuba by a Soviet-supplied SA-2 Guideline surface-to-air missile. Major Anderson becomes the only direct human casualty of the crisis.
    [IMG]http://i51.*******.com/15xwgeedotjpg[/IMG]
    [size=1]Wreckage of Major Anderson's U-2 aircraft[/size]

1981: Soviet Submarine S-363, a Whiskey-class submarine, accidentally hit an underwater rock about 1.1 nm (2 km) from the main Swedish naval base at Karlskrona. The boat was stuck on the rock for nearly 10 days. The Soviet Navy sent a rescue task force comprised heavily armed destroyers and high sea tugs, an action led to a standoff between Soviet and Swedish warships.

[size=1]The famous whiskey on the rocks incident[/size]

Default October, 29

969: During the Byzantine-Abbasid War, the city of Antioch (modern-day Antakya, Turkey) was recovered for the Byzantine Emperor Nicephorus II Phocas by General Michael Burtzes and Patrician Peter Phocas the Eunuch from the Abbasids. Antioch soon became the seat of a Dux (=Duke), who commanded the forces of the local Themes and was the most important officer on the Empire's eastern border, held by such men as Nicephorus Ur****.
    [IMG]http://i51.*******.com/2lduo8xdotjpg[/IMG]
    [size=1]The Tyche (=Roman Fortuna) of Antioch, the deity that governed the fortune and prosperity of the city; she steps on the personification of the river Orontes, for Antioch's full name was Antioch on Orontes (=Antiochia ad Orontem)[/size]

1658: During the Dano-Swedish War of 1657 - 1658, the Naval Battle of Oresund occurs. A Dutch fleet form the United Provinces with 35 warships and 1,270 guns, under Vice-Admiral Witte Corneliszoon de With, defeated a Swedish fleet comprised 44 warships with 1,605 guns, under the Lord High Admiral of Sweden, Carl Gustaf Wrangel, that blockaded Copenhagen, the Danish capital. The Swedes aggressively attacked the Dutch fleet, but failed as the Dutch had the weather gage. The Dutch forced the Swedish fleet to end the blockade of the Danish capital.
    [IMG]http://i53.*******.com/2uzs5d1dotjpg[/IMG]
    [size=1]The victor of Oresund, Admiral With, succumbed to his wounds sustained in the battle, on 8 November; he was shot twice, through the left thigh and through the chest[/size]

1665: During the Third Kongo-Portuguese War, the Battle of Mbwila occurs. A 14,500-strong Portuguese army under Luis Lopes de Sequeira, defeated the ca 30,000-strong army of the Kingdom of Kongo under MweneKongo (=ruler/king of Kongo) António I Nvita a Nkanga. 5,000 men killed or captured including the king, his two sons, his two nephews, four governors, various court officials, 95 title holders and 400 other nobles. Most of the Kongo forces broke following the king's death. After the battle, the head of the king was buried with ceremony by the Portuguese in the chapel of Our Lady of Nazareth in Luanda, and the crown and scepter of Kongo were sent to Lisbon as trophies.
    [IMG]http://i54.*******.com/sys6u0dotjpg[/IMG]
    [size=1]Kongo ivory scepter[/size]

1859: Spain declares war on Morocco, due to dispute over the borders of the Spanish cities of Ceuta and Melilla. The war was fought in northern Morocco.
    [IMG]http://i56.*******.com/1h6lmqdotjpg[/IMG]

WWI-1918: The German High Seas Fleet is incapacitated when sailors mutiny in the naval ports of Wilhelmshaven and Kiel, on the night of 29 - 30 October, an action which would trigger the German revolution. The spirit of rebellion spread across the country and led to the proclamation of a republic on 9 November 1918. Shortly thereafter Kaiser Wilhelm II abdicated.

[size=1]Sailors demonstrating at Wilhelmshaven[/size]

1941: At least 5,000 Lithuanian Jews of Kaunas, largely taken from the city's Jewish ghetto, were transported to the Ninth Fort, a stronghold in the northern Šilainiai elderate of the Lithuanian city of Kaunas, constructed in the 19th c. and shot by German occupiers, a massacre known as the Great Action.

1944: The Polish 1st Armoured Division (1. Dywizja Pancerna) under Gen. Stanisław Maczek, performed an outflanking manoeuvre that allowed the liberation of the Dutch city of Breda, without any civilian casualties.

[size=1]The Mayor of Breda, giving a welcome speech to the Polish 1st Armoured Division[/size]

1948: During the 1948 Arab-Israeli War and Operation Hiram (aimed at capturing the upper Galilee region), the Safsaf massacre occurs. Evidence of a massacre in which 52 - 64 villagers were killed by the IDF comes from several contemporaneous Israeli government sources and Arab oral history. The evidence suggests that 52 men had their hands tied, were shot and killed, and were buried in a pit. A number of women were also raped.

1955: The Soviet battleship "Novorossiisk" (former Italian "Giulio Cesare") was sunk slowly from the bow, capsizing at 4:15 am, 2 hours 45 minutes after hitting a WWII mine, off Sebastopol in the Crimea. The capsizing resulted in the death of 608 sailors, most of whom were in the ship's compartments. It became the worst disaster in Soviet naval history.

1956: Operation Kadesh, the conquest of the Sinai, began, when Israel air-dropped a battalion into the Sinai Peninsula. The Suez Crisis begins.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0X1qIECZcU