Page 106 of 156 FirstFirst ... 656969899100101102103104105106107108109110111112113114116 ... LastLast
Results 1,576 to 1,590 of 2333

Thread: Bundeswehr / Military of Germany

I'm just realising that jumping out of that thing in flight maybe really IS the better way to get down safely...

Quote Originally Posted by Wally1967 View Post
    Now that's what you call REAL plane spotting! Enthusiasts come within inches of death after military aircraft misses the runway

For an intrepid band of plane spotters it was the most dramatic experience of their lives – and almost the last thing they saw.
    A crowd of about 1,000 had gathered to watch the final landing of a military plane which was about to be decommissioned after many years of service.
    All appeared to be going smoothly as the Transall C-160 approached the Ballenstedt airfield in Saxony-Anhalt, central Germany.

[LEFT][*******#000000]Read more & Video: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz2GD6crdQL
    [/COLOR][/LEFT]
    Of course the Daily Fail had to mention the war.
    What surprises me is that they mentioned the Pilots full name, which wasn't reported in german media.

What's not surprising is that they're running the story several weeks or even months late.

Cause this is a male-dominated forum I have to underline that the pilot of that plane was one of the very few female pilots of the Luftwaffe
    Last edited by holyfetzer; 12-28-2012 at 05:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by holyfetzer View Post
    Cause this is a male-dominated forum I have to underline that the pilote of that plane was one of the very few female pilots of the Luftwaffe
    Well besides Hanna Reitsch

Quote Originally Posted by JCR View Post
    Of course the Daily Fail had to mention the war.
    They have to reach a certain quota each week.

[*******#000000][FONT=Verdana]Soldaten setzen in Afghanistan mit einer Fähre über (Quelle: Bundeswehr/Groeneveld)[/FONT][/COLOR]
    This seems ridiculously dangerous. The platoon leader must have felt incredibly confident that there isn't a hostile anywhere within the vicinity of either riverbank.

Also, haven't seen these three posted yet: German troops testing the new uniforms/equipment in the French Foreign Legions' 3rd Infantry Regiments training courses in French Guiana:

Last edited by AnoSynum; 12-29-2012 at 11:17 AM.

While we're at it, might as well post this one:

Winter Manoeuvres of the Franco-German Brigade at Baumholder

© Bundeswehr/Trotzki

Abmarsch: Französische Spähpanzer und ...

Weitere gepanzerte Fahrzeuge sowie ...

die Transportpanzer der deutschen Infanteristen rücken aus.

Vermummt: Es ist eiskalt – besonders als Sicherer im Fahrtwind.

Annäherung: Die Transportpanzer erreichen den Einsatzraum.

Koordination: Die Infanteristen gehen vor, die Transportpanzer sichern sie.

Letzte Deckung: Leise werden Befehle gegeben.

Bereit: Ein Soldat hat die gegnerische Stellung im Visier.

Sturm: Unter dem Feuer ihrer Kameraden nehmen die Soldaten die Stellung.

What is it with this trend to use Tropentarn rather than Flecktarn in winter warfare? They're hardly less visible, in fact I'd say the regular Flecktarn fits in better with the still plentiful greens and browns (from Evergreens, brushes, etc). Also, why are they wearing full white rather than the Bundeswehr Schneetarn?
    Last edited by AnoSynum; 12-29-2012 at 11:07 AM.

I can't really notice any changes from the uniforms in that photo and the current one's??

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeySoldier View Post
    I can't really notice any changes from the uniforms in that photo and the current one's??
    I believe it's mainly a question of materials. That, and the fact that the IdZ vest, for example, still hasn't been fully introduced, though one would think considering how long it's been since it was first put forward...

And I can't really see what's wrong with the Afghanistan picture, or so incredible dangerous. You'll also notice that not a single one of these men and women wear a helmet. Just boonies, caps, or nothing at all. That said, the photograph just shows a specific moment of a situation. All we can see is a local ferry transporting soldiers from one riverbank to the other. We don't know if there were any vehicles in the vicinity, ANP/ANA forces, UAV support in the air, etc. Btw, there's an own thread for Afghanistan related photos.

Quote Originally Posted by Steak-Sauce View Post
    And I can't really see what's wrong with the Afghanistan picture, or so incredible dangerous. You'll also notice that not a single one of these men and women wear a helmet. Just boonies, caps, or nothing at all. That said, the photograph just shows a specific moment of a situation. All we can see is a local ferry transporting soldiers from one riverbank to the other. We don't know if there were any vehicles in the vicinity, ANP/ANA forces, UAV support in the air, etc. Btw, there's an own thread for Afghanistan related photos.
    Of course you're right, we can't see everything, only what the photograph shows us. Still, from the little bit I do see, there doesn't appear to be a single soldier or vehicle on the visible area of land on the other side. A single shooter in one of those little windows in the hamlet in the back could have meant a catastrophic tragedy. Anti-Coalition forces have repeatedly proven an enormous disregard for their own safety by opening fire on armoured convoys, etc. So even if there were half a mechanized battalion on this side of the river, an insurgent could've fired an RPK/PKM salvo at the guys in the ferry and disappeared behind those walls before anyone could've had time to react.

Maybe I'm just a little paranoid/over-cautious - I generally tend to assume that the local commanders are competent and wouldn't run any unnecessary risks, but still - not knowing the exact circumstances under which this was executed, it seems like quite the unnecessary risk.

Where the pleasures are many, and the dangers are few

Quote Originally Posted by AnoSynum View Post
    What is it with this trend to use Tropentarn rather than Flecktarn in winter warfare? They're hardly less visible, in fact I'd say the regular Flecktarn fits in better with the still plentiful greens and browns (from Evergreens, brushes, etc). Also, why are they wearing full white rather than the Bundeswehr Schneetarn?
    Educated Guess: The soldiers will use what they get issued, which in some cases means reversible helmet cover 5FT/Schneetarn in other cases said 3FT/5FT.

Quote Originally Posted by AnoSynum View Post
    This seems ridiculously dangerous. The platoon leader must have felt incredibly confident that there isn't a hostile anywhere within the vicinity of either riverbank.
    This guys happen to be members of my company. Actually the sniper with the G22 even is the guy I pixeled out a few posts earlier So much about that then...

They went out for a foot mobile recce mission (Spähtrupp), that's why they don't wear any helmets. As you can see, the first three men form a sniper-team.

The whole situation might seem dangerous, but just assume you have to get over a river, like the Kunduz-river and there is no bridge... You get the picture. It's not like they used this way regularly, but just on that single occasion. The next time, they may have waded through the river at another location.

On the helmetcovers: The ones with the reversible 5-farb flecktarn/snow sceme simply aren't issued any more. The only one available is the model with 5/3-farb flecktarn sides.

On the snow covers: That white-only model has been in use for quite a few years now and is generally referred to as "KSK-Schneetarn". I don't remember it's official name, but I've got my own set of one trousers and a jacket back in the barracks, so I can take a look on the markings. Don't ask me to whom those are issued, I got no idea, I literally just found mine...

First of all, I can't express how awesome it is to have someone who's properly qualified (and willing) to answer seemingly everything. Thanks, philM.!

Quote Originally Posted by philM. View Post
    This guys happen to be members of my company. Actually the sniper with the G22 even is the guy I pixeled out a few posts earlier So much about that then...
    Well, now you definitely blew his cover. I'm starting to think that your company must be the most photographed unit in all of the Bundeswehr, hahaha!

On the helmetcovers: The ones with the reversible 5-farb flecktarn/snow sceme simply aren't issued any more. The only one available is the model with 5/3-farb flecktarn sides.
    Fair enough. I suppose the procurement officials decided that it's more cost effective to make Helmet covers for the two most likely places where they'll be needed: Afghanistan (3FT) and Germany/Kosovo (5FT). Still, some of the soldiers seem to still have them - they must be either old surplus or privately purchased then. Nevertheless I always think choosing the 3FT as preferable evil for winter warfare is a poor choice. Personally, my eyes are much more drawn to its unnatural beige and brown than to the 5FT more dark greenish tones. The former doesn't really exist in a winter environment, the latter does - in the form of evergreens, tree trunks and brush.

On the snow covers: That white-only model has been in use for quite a few years now and is generally referred to as "KSK-Schneetarn". I don't remember it's official name, but I've got my own set of one trousers and a jacket back in the barracks, so I can take a look on the markings. Don't ask me to whom those are issued, I got no idea, I literally just found mine...
    Shame, really. I always really liked the Bundeswehr Schneetarn. It's very rare to find a pure, undisturbed white surface and those small patterns always seemed to blend in pretty well.
    Last edited by AnoSynum; 12-29-2012 at 06:00 PM.