Page 15 of 168 FirstFirst ... 578910111213141516171819202122232565115 ... LastLast

Thread: Bundeswehr / Military of Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Big Mo View Post
    well, the wachbattalion (honor guard) just uses the Kar98k just for parades, etc....i don't think any soldier has shot them in his active service....i'm not sure if the rifles are still working but i guess they aren't...
    Oh no, they are still working! I served 4 years in the WachBtl and believe me those rifles are still shooting perfectly. In those 4 years I got twice the chance to shoot them and they kick like a mule, but hey, after all it´s a caliber for real men!!! I used the bayonet only in the drill team on a few occasions.
    Last edited by sempertalis; 06-12-2010 at 12:19 PM. Reason: forgot something

Quote Originally Posted by sempertalis View Post
    Oh no, they are still working! I served 4 years in the WachBtl and believe me those rifles are still shooting perfectly. In those 4 years I got twice the chance to shoot them and they kick like a mule, but hey, after all it´s a caliber for real men!!! I used the bayonet only in the drill team on a few occasions.

One could've guessed from your nickname in which unit you served..

Quote Originally Posted by sempertalis View Post
    Good to know that we´ve still got a seriously oldschoolish last line of defense in Berlin!

Banned user

Quote Originally Posted by tluassa View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMm3l...os=2XhvlUUOziY

K-98 is just looking great with the guard batallion.
    So honor guard kept the WW2 style of dress up, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Extobulite View Post
    So honor guard kept the WW2 style of dress up, correct?
    Nope, the uniform is not different from the normal dress uniform of the various service branches.
    Better tailoring I suppose is all.
    The only change was that they replaced US style helmets with M35 style helmets around 2001 or so.
    And their navy uniform screams "pseudo" from many small details to real sailors

Banned user

Quote Originally Posted by JCR View Post
    Nope, the uniform is not different from the normal dress uniform of the various service branches.
    Better tailoring I suppose is all.
    The only change was that they replaced US style helmets with M35 style helmets around 2001 or so.
    And their navy uniform screams "pseudo" from many small details to real sailors
    Well M35 helmet and the Kar definintely invoke the WW2 style. Im not trying to be controversial and i remember discussion about this 3 or 4 years ago here on MP.net, but I believe that this is a definite representation of the German might of WW2. Just ask the simple questions, why m35 why kar98? These items make the honor guard look like Hitler's SS guard, and if Germans really didnt want any resemblance of that they wouldve changed the dress up, but instead they changed the dress up to this specific style. I honestly have nothing against this, I believe Germany has to keep some of it's history, even if it was stained, in order to preserve some kind of pride in it's military, but at the same time i notice the denial of this fact, and thats why i question it.

Quote Originally Posted by Extobulite View Post
    Well M35 helmet and the Kar definintely invoke the WW2 style. Im not trying to be controversial and i remember discussion about this 3 or 4 years ago here on MP.net, but I believe that this is a definite representation of the German might of WW2. Just ask the simple questions, why m35 why kar98? These items make the honor guard look like Hitler's SS guard, and if Germans really didnt want any resemblance of that they wouldve changed the dress up, but instead they changed the dress up to this specific style. I honestly have nothing against this, I believe Germany has to keep some of it's history, even if it was stained, in order to preserve some kind of pride in it's military, but at the same time i notice the denial of this, and thats why i question it.
    If you look at the Bundeswehr's uniform history, our military started out with very ugly british or US style dress uniforms ("designed by a rabid pacifist trying to make the wearer look ridiculous" wrote one british journalist). The GDR always had the more "german/prussian" looks.
    However during the 1970s the uniforms became gradually more "german" again over the following years.

The M1/M35 changeover was because the normal service helmet changed from a US M1 copy to a helmet similar to the PASGT.
    And since the guards are supposed to wear the same helmet as the other troops, the shape changed as well.
    The US shape was universally loathed in the german army anyway, but they couldn't get rid of it for political reasons.
    It was a narrow decision in the 1950s and the paratroopers actually did use the german WW2 para helmet for some time.

The Kar98 is because you can't do prussian rifle drills with a modern rifle.
    They could've used M1s I guess but AFAIK we gave those to Israel in the 60s.
    Kar98s were in ready supply because the police and BGS had large stocks of them left.

Btw, for non german readers.
    User "semper talis" is named like that because it is the motto of the Guards Battallion.
    It was the motto of the prussian foot guards of Frederick the Great and the Guards Battallion carries on this tradition.

at welcome ceremony of Croatian prime minister Kosor-Merkel

and gen.Lucić

Last edited by SATNIK; 06-12-2010 at 02:07 PM.

post deleted
    Last edited by sandsturm; 06-12-2010 at 03:36 PM.

Banned user

Quote Originally Posted by sandsturm View Post
    very interesting. Maybe you should start a new thread so people interested in this discussion can contribute.
    You can go ahead if you want, i dont feel like getting into the controversy and spend my energy defending my point, because it will get very hot.

Here are pictures from me,sorry if some were already posted
    Attachments Pending Approval Attachments Pending Approval
    Last edited by GottLuft; 06-12-2010 at 06:28 PM.

I'm afraid they don't work.

I think it's fixed now.

they use the eurocopter in A-stan?

What Eurocopter? If you mean the Tiger, its not in use by the German Forces. The german Variant would be pretty useless anyway, unless it would get the RMK30 or something compareable as a nose turret. But its not like that idea is more than five years old Piece of crap is getting old.
    The French use it though.

But would really be interested to know what drone that is on your pictures, GottLuft.