Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: General Dynamics air dropped precision strike 81mm guided mortar round

Default General Dynamics air dropped precision strike 81mm guided mortar round

BOTHELL, Wash. – General Dynamics Ordnance and Tactical Systems has successfully guided an 81mm Air-Dropped Guided Mortar (ADM) to a stationary ground target. The guide-to-target flight demonstrations, conducted at Ft. Sill, Okla., confirmed the ability of the 81mm ADM using a novel guidance kit and fuze to provide a precision strike capability for Tactical-Class Unmanned Aircraft (TUAV). The ADM was released from a TUAV using the company’s newly developed “Smart Rack” carriage and release system that enables weaponization of any TUAV platform.
    http://www.aviationnews.eu/2010/04/0...guided-mortar/

What a fantastic idea. I have just been reading about it and couldn't find it with MP.net search so I thought i'd lob it in to see if anyone else has any further updates on it at all.

81mm does alot of damage but is not as excessive as a 500lb JDAM and would be in my opinion a great asset especially against dismounts and in urban areas with lots of civvies about.

Banned user

They should've added "shell" to "precision strike 81mm guided mortar". For a second I actually thought that they were talking about air-dropping a whole mortar system to forces on the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Panchito12 View Post
    They should've added "shell" to "precision strike 81mm guided mortar". For a second I actually thought that they were talking about air-dropping a whole mortar system to forces on the ground.
    Hahaha yeah thats a fair point. I should of added shell / round to the title. However, its still a neat development.

for that to be useful they should come up with a carousel. the shells are small enough.

Bite my shiny metal ass! beNder's Avatar

The future of warfare is getting frightning. Hi tec countries other than the US having fleets of UAVs with precision wepons.

Wonder how many the latest version of the predator could carry?

Actually a mortar's projectile is not called a shell.

It is a mortar bomb, or simply bomb, and not in the aircraft bomb sense despite this being dropped by an aircraft. Projectile would also be acceptable.

We have actually discussed this before. On searching though it seems those older posts no longer exist. Didn't realise we'd lost older posts with the forum changeover. Anyway I found the idea extremely interesting. This is the article I read at the time:

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/...w-Knows-05226/

As far as im concerned that is no longer a mortar round, but a air dropped munition. Good and interesting info though thanks.

B52 with a full load of those = flying cluster bomb. Would it be feasible to make those munitions air burst?

Banned user

is a 81 mm morotr enough to destroy a tank or a building?
    sorry if my post does not make sense, i have been drinking punhc all night

So instead of something that 2 grunts can carry and fire, they now deliver it with a multi-million dollar plane... O-K.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakki View Post
    So instead of something that 2 grunts can carry and fire, they now deliver it with a multi-million dollar plane... O-K.
    Except instead of a multi million dollar aircraft its a small $275,000 unmanned drone and instead of being limited to 5k's of where that 3-4 man team is it can go over 100k or travel a little less and hang around for a good 5 hours. With recent upgrades this loiter time should now be around 8-9 hours. Not only will this simple and cheap uav be able to drop simple and cheap munitions but hopefully eventually the QuickMEDS system for delivering medical supplies to remote/stranded troops. These uav's can also launch from just about anywhere.

If you use your imagination a bit it could potentially be a genuinely useful resource. One that doesn't put people in harms way and one that doesn't chew up millions of dollars to use every day. Sounds like it's just what the doctor ordered.

Quote Originally Posted by socom6 View Post
    As far as im concerned that is no longer a mortar round, but a air dropped munition. Good and interesting info though thanks.
    i agree, it should have its own name at this point.

thought it was going to be ground fired with target painted with laser.

very good for unmanned vehicles or helicopters on the otherhand... better than wasting a Hellfire on 2 insurgents.

Sheep dog standing before wolves The Dane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by enemy crab View Post
    No-- you would need a 120mm or 155mm for that job..

Quote Originally Posted by enemy crab View Post

love your avatar!!!

means the boots on the ground are able to carry more bullets....