Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: secret weapons caches?

Default secret weapons caches?

ok got a question waaaaaaay back in the stone age in Jr high I read an article on some kids unearthing a WWII cache in Germany...or something like that anyone heard this story?

on side-topic I have always been fascinated on the myth of weapons caches, you know the so-called armegeddeon bunkers so I am hoping others here can share their "cache tale" real or rumored

post WWII most countrys made "what if" plans and stashed weapons and gear along with a plan of who where to use them if there was a war again..
    We did so in Norway, many old depots have been abandoned during the years.. But there is still some left who only a handful of people know of..

Only a few years ago a villa was put on the market in a residential area not far from where i live..
    It had a twist.. It had a massive complex under ground with generators etc etc.. No one in the area knew about its secret..
    I think a IT-company bought it to put servers in it..

You could probably write a book about the subject...

Just to check I'm not going mental, didn't someone build bunkers along the German border where in case of soviet invasion nuclear weapons would be placed in, with the electronic timers kept warm by chickens or something?

Yes, Nuclear land mines basically. Not sure about the chicken myth or if they needed to be put in bunkers. They were fairly low yield so not exactly massive.

I think in the Fulda Gap there are still places where you can see where demolitions charges could be put into bridges and road ways. There is a thread from ages ago somewhere on here.

Banned user

Operation Gladio ...look it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert.V View Post
    Operation Gladio ...look it up.
    True, but let's not forget resistance weapon caches of WWII, after the war they had to disarm, but most of them buried their weapons and explosives, there was an interview with an older resistance memeber on the belgian television who showed the place where they had hidden their weapons, two crates of Kar98, one crate of m1 garands, 2 crates of stenguns, and a few others filled with handgrenades and TNT, the place is now the playground of the local school,( I do hope thay can save the guns if they are still intact.)

And as it comes to secret bunkers, yes there are more then you would expect, my grandparents house for example, it just looks like a large villa, but it was an SS headquarter, we are talking about a LARGE bunker (let's say about 60 m², sidewalls about 1.5m armored concrete, armored roof of almost 2m) complete with armored doors, weapons and foodstorage, it's own generator and 3 escape tunnels ( two have been filled with concrete after burglars struck for the 3rd time in a row using these), and a large hall where russian POW were kept who had to work in the local mining industry.
    I tried to find information on who used it but noboddy seems to remember anything about it, except for the neighbours, their vocabulary does not reach further then SS, tanks, and Russian prisoners

there were caches in WW2 used by the auxiliary home guard some of which were never recovered.
    there are persistent rumours of soviet weapon caches in the UK mostly founded on a soviet spetnez transmitter recovered in wales

A while ago a Soviet GRU weapons cache was unearthed in Switzerland. It was even ****y-trapped with explosives to go off if someone tried to dig it up.

The soviets had plans to hide weapons caches inside the United States, but no one knows if they actually did or not.

Finnish army hid a lot of weapons at the end of WW2 to prepare for guerilla warfare in case of soviet occupation. People find these weapon caches still every now and then.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weapons_Cache_Case

They are finding those from time to time all over Poland mostly from ww2 and early commie period. Some were made by Polish resistance but some were prepared by the retreating Germans.
    One of such german caches was discovered few years ago on my street. Houses there were used during commie period for army COs and later given to retired COs. It had only ammo but there was a military investigation becuase they also found some AK rounds.

I believe there was a rather large weapon cache not too far from The Hague that got jacked by the Dutch drug mafia groups in the late 80's to early 90's

It was said there were around 40 caches, but from what i've read over time, it's reasonable to assume they were more small armories than just buried stuff, as some of the stuff the Dutch underworld managed to get a hold of that was supposedly linked to the Dutch stay-behind network is simply astounding.

It is unclear if the Dutch network was GLADIO or not. When then PM Lubbers supposedly disbanded the program in '92(finalized in '94), officials made it 'clear' that Operations and Intelligence, as it was called, was completely independant and not subordinate to NATO. In practice it would have had the same function as GLADIO, to IMO there would have to have been at least some top level coordination with other countries.

It's all rather shady. Wiki sez there were around 30 people in Intelligence(which was part of the cryptically named Directorate for General Affairs of the Armed Forces' General Staff) and 200 pax in Operations, who operated independently. The last known quarters of O was at the Navy's Kattenburg base in Amsterdam, which is generally considered to be heavily secured( Ayaan Hirsi Ali stayed there for a while, maybe Geert Wilders as well, but i'm not too sure on that)

There seems to be have been a link between criminal figures and members of O( in some cases the lines became blurred, as two members(including a Major) decided to blackmail Nutricia with poisoning of food products, when they were on inactive status after the units' formal disbandment. According to Wiki, higher echelons were scared that other ex-members would follow suit, so all of them were reinstated) As after the accidental discovery of a Gladio/O&I cache in Limburg it was decided that all inventory would be moved to a central location(this is after the cold war), and various locations were found empty, and as said, the items ended up in the hands of well known criminals. In '92 the Justice department raided a farm and found weapons, grenades, and 130 Kgs of
    (mainly) Semtex

What's rather curious is that when Lubbers made the intention clear that O&I was to be disbanded, the I department had just moved to a new location and had, in concert with european stay behind orgs and reportedly the CIA and M16, acquired new cryptography equipment from Telefunken. The project cost $80 million, of which the Dutch government supposedly contributed $10 million.

In 97, the statesecretary for the Ministry of Education, Culture and Science ordered an investigation into O&I, but researchers found that archives were completely destroyed upon the 'disbandment' of the service.

Peter R de Vries(the same guy that did the hidden camera investigation in the Natalee Holloway case) claimed that as of 2007, GLADIO(or perhaps O&I) was still, active, and that large quantities of weapons were dissapearing into the underground, made untraceable by some kind of 'construction' as Wiki calls it.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operati...he_Netherlands
    http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operati...o_in_Nederland (Dutch version, more elaborate)

I don't know how much of this all is true, but it's all really, really shady....

some interesting stuff sofar guys thanks!

still can't find that article on that one Nazi cache I remember hearing about...supposedly had tanks IIRC

anybody have a clue on that one?

Also a ball licker Quietscheentchen's Avatar

I wonder whether there still are weapon caches from the RAF (the terrorist group, not the Royal Air Force) hidden in the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by PrivatePyle View Post

I think in the Fulda Gap there are still places where you can see where demolitions charges could be put into bridges and road ways. There is a thread from ages ago somewhere on here.
    Such preparations were not limited to the Fulda Gap-Area, you could find them also in other places in Germany.

A site with pictures of prechamber shafts in roads and bridges, (foam!) obstacles and other interesting stuff (text in german, only translations of the obstacles themselves in english, sorry):
    http://www.lostplaces.de/sperren-wallmeister.html (scroll down to see the pics)

Quote Originally Posted by sgt_G View Post
    some interesting stuff sofar guys thanks!

still can't find that article on that one Nazi cache I remember hearing about...supposedly had tanks IIRC

anybody have a clue on that one?
    Cant help you with that anyway its general rule of a thumb to be extra careful when demolishing/constructing stuff in any area where nazi had their "secret facilities". In my city there is a small tunel network that is a parking today because there is no info about it.(if there was anything important there). Anyway city authorities does not allow to build or do anything that would require to dig deep in that place just in cease.