Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SAS lose veterans and TA regiment

Default SAS lose veterans and TA regiment

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...-regiment.html

If true.....I'm guessing, ouch!

I can see(and have seen a few myself locally) how it's necessary to "move along" some of the moldy oldies(as well as EVERYONE eventually) to make room for the young folks with fresh ideas.....but......

There are some highly experienced folks you just don't want leaving ever, or until they've passed on that hard won and very expensive institutional knowledge to every young soldier.

To me it's a bit like an Ivy League university sacking some of it's best regarded professors.

I've met a few crusty old SNCOs worthy of "tenure".

Seems pretty dumb. In the grand scheme of things surely this is not going to save the MOD that much money.

Banned user

"While British special forces are seen as one of the greatest global assets Britain has to offer and are particularly coveted by the US, they are expensive..."

What? Too expensive? Are they trying to emasculate the country so bad that it would be useless in future conflicts? Why doesn't the UK cancel some of their wasteful programs like "Flats for Feeloaders?" Maybe then they could afford to keep the SAS!

The training and experience of these men I can imagine is an investment in itself, they may be saving money in their eyes for the future but they are throwing away the money they have spent in the past.

so, they'd rather pay off pirates than retain experience....way to go mod

/sarcasm

I guess the private security firms will be happy about this.

Senior Member I can't think of a name's Avatar

Institutional Knowledge and Experience is what Sets Good Armies apart from the bad ones. Most crappy armies can get people doing several one handed pushups etc. but experience and knowledge is paramount.

Banned user

They cut off a reserve regiment, most likely filled with older gents who dont go on many deployments. Seriously how many of you guys actually read the articles?

The experience can still be used in other ways.

Thing is lads its not just the SF that are going to take the hit. I predict that more Bns wil go and men will be thrown to the dogs. Then where will we be.

Confirmed civvie. Head down, arse up, taking cover firmly behind the sofa.

Quote Originally Posted by scttgillies View Post
    Thing is lads its not just the SF that are going to take the hit. I predict that more Bns wil go and men will be thrown to the dogs. Then where will we be.
    As usual mate. Being tasked to do more with less and less!

[SIZE=1](But wasn't it ever thus in the British Armed Forces.) [/SIZE]

Is it just me or are we getting more and more of these threads that are giving us these breathless articles about impending doom and gloom to come with the SDR that is still months away? No offense but a) could we perhaps just centralise these tidbits in the british armed forces thread and b) wait and see what the SDR actually says when it comes out before howling in despair?

Sorry if I'm being an ass but personnally it's getting to me a bit

Prob just more Telegraph smoke blowing...let me tell you that there are a few people with a personal interest in 'politicising' these stories. Shameful really.

Hopefully any decision will be made in conjunction with the respective commands. However, SAS(R) account for a tiny, tiny, tiny fraction of UKSF budget. Any saving made by axing blokes (saving on MTDs) would be lost in the millions spent training them. If savings are to be made, then cutting admin, support and headshed costs would be better. The dreaded amalgamation word would be preferable to showing willing, trained blokes the door.

Have to agree with wilmet....SDR is months away. Let's not circulate rumours any further.

Completely agree with Wilmet. I'm sick to death of seeing speculation dressed up as fact.

The SDSR is ongoing. The results are not yet out. Not one article has yet given specific evidence to back up it's big headlines.

Much as I understand people's eagerness to find out what will become of our military, near daily threads about how we're losing this-and-that, because 'an anonymous source' said so, is becoming extremely tiresome.
    Patience!! We'll have plenty to shout/*****/moan about when the SDSR is out, and God-willing we might even be able to wipe the sweat from our brows.

The TA is going to take a major hit when the axe falls and same again when the treasury demands a peace dividen when we pull out of Afghanistan despite the loyality and dedication its members and their families have shown over the years of op deployments. If 21 or 23 is going its an indication of how much is likley to go as the loss of the TA SAS regts will not be done lightly.

Quote Originally Posted by happyslapper View Post
    Completely agree with Wilmet. I'm sick to death of seeing speculation dressed up as fact.

The SDSR is ongoing. The results are not yet out. Not one article has yet given specific evidence to back up it's big headlines.

Much as I understand people's eagerness to find out what will become of our military, near daily threads about how we're losing this-and-that, because 'an anonymous source' said so, is becoming extremely tiresome.
    Patience!! We'll have plenty to shout/*****/moan about when the SDSR is out, and God-willing we might even be able to wipe the sweat from our brows.
    Unfortunatley in the vacuum speculation and spin take over. With various factions within the armed forces briefing and spinning to try and get the axe deflected from them and their little empires. The main thing leaking at the minite will be doomesday scenarios to hype things up and raise public/media/political pressure on the MoD and treasury not to cut X,Y or Z or to cut A,B or C instead. And unfortunatley some of the emotive stuff works and comprimises are made to save things for emotional reasons rather than practical ones.