Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Will New Zealand get new Jet Fighters ?

Quote Originally Posted by bababooey View Post
    Question. I recall a controversy with NZ buying LAV's. If someone could tell me, was there a guy from NZ who wanted to sell unused wheeled APC's from Hungary at a must lower per unit cost?
    yea it was the BTR 80

ANZAC Moderator Ngati Tumatauenga's Avatar

PANDUR and Patria XA.

BTR-80 was never seriously considered....

Banned user

Quote Originally Posted by budgie View Post
    If NZ were to fork out for fighters - that's a big if - it wouldn't be new shyt like the Super Hornet or Lightning. They could maybe spring for 12-24 Gripens or F-16s. Not likely even that.
    It's Friday so you might very well be drinking... F/A-18 bug/superbug and F-16 belongs to an older generation than Gripen.

Banned user

Quote Originally Posted by Ngati Tumatauenga View Post
    It really does crack me how much time you spend obsessing over something that you are completely impotent to effect.

Just wait till the DVD of 'Tommorrow: When the war began' is released then you can strop off to your fantasy full time.
    well that is the way that air defence is going in the future so what is wrong with the comment. I can assure you that there are a few dead taliban today becouse of these drones. So it is just a question of when it is going to happen and not fantasy. Beside that is what a forum is for to pose question's and idea's . And are you less impotent to effect on any of your comments . Smoke your gear and chill out !!!!

the internet is serious business! Ought Six's Avatar

Arrow

If NZ is attacked, it will deploy its hobbit special operations folk, with a wizard. Problem solved.

ANZAC Moderator Ngati Tumatauenga's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jango View Post
    well that is the way that air defence is going in the future so what is wrong with the comment. I can assure you that there are a few dead taliban today becouse of these drones.
    Really? I had no idea, thanks for the heads up, sport...

So it is just a question of when it is going to happen and not fantasy.
    Australia being invaded and occupied for a Asian coalition?

OK......

Beside that is what a forum is for to pose question's and idea's .
    Not when it's the same tread topic again and again.

And are you less impotent to effect on any of your comments .
    Far, far less...

Smoke your gear and chill out !!!!
    Only one smoking here is you, sport.

Fighter aircraft for NZ is not going to happen. The Skyhawks are going to museums and the Macchi's are a liability. The Govt does not have the will or the money to buy expensive toys. Besides the infrastructure to support hi tec aircraft is gone. Helicopters are the best that the Air Force can do these days.

Banned user

RNZAF way of projecting its power around the globe.
    http://www.airliners.net/photo/New-Z...2K2/1777548/L/

Reported.....For not reporting T3ngu sooner Alfacentori's Avatar

On a more serious note, anyone think NZ would ever consider purchasing attack helo's to give its ground forces more fire support on missions, i.e. peacekeeping etc?

Especially considering they are much more flexible (as they can operate from ships as well) and more likely to be deployed than fast movers ever would be

Alfa
    Last edited by Alfacentori; 09-11-2010 at 04:15 AM.

the internet is serious business! Ought Six's Avatar

Arrow

Ac:
    "On a more serious note, anyone think NZ would ever consider purchasing attack helo's to give its ground forces more fire support on missions, i.e. peacekeeping etc? Especially considering they are much more flexible (as they can operate from ships as well) and likely to be deployed than fast movers ever would be."
    An excellent point, and good unconventional thinking.

Here is more.... They could also order some Su-25KMs from TAM in Georgia. This is the 'westernized' version of the Su-25 attack aircraft, with a glass cockpit, LASER designator, HUD, inertial/GPS nav, all by Elbit, the Israeli avionics company. The aircraft is fully capable of using NATO weapons, and has a MIL-STD-1553 buss. Since the standard Su-25TM can carry four Kh-31s or Kh-35s, it is reasonable to assume that the Su-25KM could carry four Harpoon or similar anti-ship cruise missiles. With a 400 mile combat radius and twin engines, it would be an excellent aircraft for maritime patrol and attack duties for an island nation like NZ. It would also be a fraction of the price of your average fighter. And its utility in overseas peacekeeping missions in supporting ground troops is obvious. Dedicated ground support aircraft working in concert with attack helos offer a much better capability than either platform working alone. The whole is greater than the sum of the parts. So attack helos and Su-25KMs would make a really nice combination.

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums...ade-in-Georgia

Has NZ thought to produce their own light aircraft so as to keep its aerospace industry going? I am thinking of a Reims F404 maritime patrol aircraft, perhaps under license. Would such a plane be appropriate for NZ?

Thanks for the BTR answer.

Banned user

Cant NZ just borrow Australias air force? trade them some sheep?

Quote Originally Posted by Ought Six View Post
    If NZ is attacked, it will deploy its hobbit special operations folk, with a wizard. Problem solved.
    Ssshh dude! Opsec...

Simple Solution

New Zealand wait for one of the JSF partners to purchase their F-35 JSFs. At that point one of those nations should have older aircraft they're looking at cutting lose. So you buy some F-16s or whatever and then get a deal with Lockheed for replacement parts.

Lockheed makes money off the deal, because allowing the other aircraft to be sold second hand makes it easier for the JSF partner to purchase F-35s and then they get money in a contract for spare parts and support for the older F-16s. NZ gets the fighters they need and everyone wins.

Quote Originally Posted by 2/1kiwi View Post
    the skyhawks are still sitting in woodburn covered in plastic
    Has Argentina, who has Skyhawks, considered buy those aircraft?